Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I have some simple questions, I can't find them on the forum so I thought I'd ask away in my own thread.

First, some backstory.

I'm from England and have been looking at a slice of Americana to import for quite a while as a DD. Originally I was looking at Chevrolets, but the 6th Gen teasers aren't setting my world on fire and with GM pulling the Chevrolet brand out of Europe due to poor sales, I'm not exactly going to be swimming in parts for a Gen5/6 if something should go wrong. Jeep operates here so I can get some of the common parts quickly if need be for the Challenger. The new Mustang is also coming to the UK in Right Hand Drive, but something about it just doesn't feel right to me. From the side it looks like any European coupé (especially an Aston Vanquish), which are obviously going to be very common in the UK, and part of the draw to these machines is how it'll look so different, rather than more of the same.
reversephonelookup.onl/ curated.onl/nba-reddit/ pcbuilder.onl/pcpartpicker/
So this leaves me with the good ol' Challenger. I visited a friend in PA who has a 2014 Charger V6, I had a spin and I was impressed (especially with the ZF 8-speed).

But the problem is that I can't decide which model to go for. Google searching isn't really helping matters - so I thought I'd ask the forums.

I'm looking at the SXT with Super Track Pack and base R/T Manual.

Fuel Economy: Regular 95 (91 US) in the UK is a whopping $6.30 a gallon. So fuel economy is very important to me so I can still eat at the end of the day. This should be an obvious answer, but when I asked the Mustang lads their real world fuel economy figures between the EcoBoost and GT, the overall cost was negligible between the two motors (esp. given the Eco needed Premium). Similar story with the Challenger? Or would the R/T be like throwing my money down a hole in this instance?

Real World Performance: What sort of performance difference would I see in real world daily driving?

I've seen videos of bone-stock SXTs with the Super Track Pack hit 6s dead in a straight line to 60. That's a solid improvement over the car I have now (7s, 200hp FWD Hot Hatch) - I'd imagine the R/T would be a lot more - but how much would I notice on a spirited drive on a public road vs, say, a track?

Suspension and breaks: I hear the SXT has worse breaks and suspension than the R/T, but does the Super Track Pack add the suspension and breaks from the models above? Or is it like BMW with their "comfort", "sport" and "M-Sport" packages? The Dodge site just says "sports suspension" and "sports breaks", extremely vague and not very helpful.

Price: Just to give you an idea why I'm looking at the V6 so lovingly. After marine shipping, marine insurance, import duty, registration, licence plates, sales tax, emissions tax and alternations to make it road legal in the UK (lighting), I'll be paying around the following for each model:

SXT: $44,270
R/T: $49,500

$5230 difference.

So with my questions above and the price difference, would the R/T be worth it? Or would the V6 give me near enough the same experience for much less cash?

Thank you!

joe77.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Let me start by saying , "Welcome to the forum". Also, let me say I own a 2015 R/T, I love the sound of the V8, especially with the new active exhaust but, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the SXT or GT models. The view out of the windshield going 65 mph or whatever your speed limits xx kph are identical. With initial cost plus the premium on gasoline you get to decide with your wallet how often you get to enjoy the view, out the windshield, going 65 mph or whatever your speed limits xx kph.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
All other things being equal my vote would be the R/T and its V8 engine. Not only will the Challenger stand out by way of its looks it will also stand out by how it sounds.

'course, all other things are obviously not equal.

At $6.30/gallon for 95 RON (which I assume is 91 AKI here in the US) for the R/T you will need a 2nd job to keep the thing fueled if you drive it any. Around town in stop and go and the like say goodbye to +20mpg and instead say hello to closer to 15mpg average.

(My Hellcat averages around 15mpg and gas around here is $3.559/gallon and I my use of the car only requires I visit the gas station once a week and put around 10 to 12 gallons of gasoline in the tank.)

For performance I have no idea. What I do is search for reviews by (in this case US) car mags of the various models I'm interested in and see what the performance numbers are.

Also, if you come upon any car mag reviews of the cars you are thinking about the differences in suspension, brakes, etc., might be covered.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Based on my experience, an SXT is nice but will leave you craving for more once you’ve had it for a while. I suggest jumping in with both feet and look for a 2015 or newer SRT392. With the 8 speed auto, you can easily get 25mpg if not driven hard with the MDS lifters. It’s a blast to drive with 485 Hemi horses out of the box and pretty nimble on those country roads with the 3 mode adjustable Bilstien suspension. It also comes stock with 9.5”x20” wheels and 275/40 Pirelli tires all around. Although not adequate, still a much better start than the 245’s that come on an SXT. Also, that exhaust note lets everyone know there is something special under the hood (bonnet) :)

IMG_1025.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
I have a 2016 SXT Plus. 87 Octane...approx. 91 RON. I understand 95 RON is the lowest available grade? (It will run well on this if so). I average close to 20mpg around town. See 28-29 on the freeway without stop and go traffic (not too often unfortunately)

0-6 best of 5.9

With STP or Blacktop package, you get 3.07 rear gear, and the R/T brakes and suspension (STP 1/2" lower stock).

The R/T will give you 70 more HP, and a great V8 exhaust sound.

I'm 100% happy with my V6, as are many. Some people have the "more" disease, and the cure is more $$ ;)

I think you'd be more than happy with the V6

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,434 Posts
Can't ever go wrong with a 5.7 R/T and with the automatic, I think it doesn't require premium fuel, but 89 (here). All the other V8s require 91+. Also when comparing fuel economy remember when we say 15 it is 18 miles per Imperial Gallon, correct? And a 5.7 HEMI with the A8 will get dang near 30 miles per US Gallon on the highway at a nice cruise.
The V6 isn't that much better, and really only in stop and go does it shine.
If you are concerned about resale, I'd say go for something more desirable, or, go Mustang, being RHD has to be a huge selling point over there.
I had a 2015 Charger R/T 5.7 with A8 and it was a pig around town, like every car I have ever driven, even small 4cyl cars. But it pulled 31 once on a nice leisurely drive at about 55mph. The HEMIs give you the ability to burn a lot of fuel, not the requirement, especially with A8 on the highway with MDS.
But, either way, I'm sure you will love it. I have been to Great Britain once in 1996 and took a bus tour from London to Wales and Scotland. I would love to drive around that same loop in my own car. It reminds me of Pennsylvania a good bit.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have a 2016 SXT Plus. 87 Octane...approx. 91 RON. I understand 95 RON is the lowest available grade? (It will run well on this if so). I average close to 20mpg around town. See 28-29 on the freeway without stop and go traffic (not too often unfortunately)

0-6 best of 5.9

View attachment 987629

With STP or Blacktop package, you get 3.07 rear gear, and the R/T brakes and suspension (STP 1/2" lower stock).

The R/T will give you 70 more HP, and a great V8 exhaust sound.

I'm 100% happy with my V6, as are many. Some people have the "more" disease, and the cure is more $$ ;)

I think you'd be more than happy with the V6

A Guy
You make a good case for the SXT and a V6 engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have some simple questions, I can't find them on the forum so I thought I'd ask away in my own thread.

First, some backstory.

I'm from England and have been looking at a slice of Americana to import for quite a while as a DD. Originally I was looking at Chevrolets, but the 6th Gen teasers aren't setting my world on fire and with GM pulling the Chevrolet brand out of Europe due to poor sales, I'm not exactly going to be swimming in parts for a Gen5/6 if something should go wrong. Jeep operates here so I can get some of the common parts quickly if need be for the Challenger. The new Mustang is also coming to the UK in Right Hand Drive, but something about it just doesn't feel right to me. From the side it looks like any European coupé (especially an Aston Vanquish), which are obviously going to be very common in the UK, and part of the draw to these machines is how it'll look so different, rather than more of the same.

So this leaves me with the good ol' Challenger. I visited a friend in PA who has a 2014 Charger V6, I had a spin and I was impressed (especially with the ZF 8-speed).

But the problem is that I can't decide which model to go for. Google searching isn't really helping matters - so I thought I'd ask the forums.

Fuel Economy: Regular 95 (91 US) in the UK is a whopping $6.30 a gallon. So fuel economy is very important to me so I can still eat at the end of the day. This should be an obvious answer, but when I asked the Mustang lads their real world fuel economy figures between the EcoBoost and GT, the overall cost was negligible between the two motors (esp. given the Eco needed Premium). Similar story with the Challenger? Or would the R/T be like throwing my money down a hole in this instance?

Real World Performance: What sort of performance difference would I see in real world daily driving?

I've seen videos of bone-stock SXTs with the Super Track Pack hit 6s dead in a straight line to 60. That's a solid improvement over the car I have now (7s, 200hp FWD Hot Hatch) - I'd imagine the R/T would be a lot more - but how much would I notice on a spirited drive on a public road vs, say, a track?

Suspension and breaks: I hear the SXT has worse breaks and suspension than the R/T, but does the Super Track Pack add the suspension and breaks from the models above? Or is it like BMW with their "comfort", "sport" and "M-Sport" packages? The Dodge site just says "sports suspension" and "sports breaks", extremely vague and not very helpful.

Price: Just to give you an idea why I'm looking at the V6 so lovingly. After marine shipping, marine insurance, import duty, registration, licence plates, sales tax, emissions tax and alternations to make it road legal in the UK (lighting), I'll be paying around the following for each model:

$5230 difference.

So with my questions above and the price difference, would the R/T be worth it? Or would the V6 give me near enough the same experience for much less cash?

Thank you!

joe77.
to me it seems to come down to the if you want a V6 or V8. I can tell you that the V6 will be cheaper to maintain for one spark plugs on the hemi gonna run u 16 instead of 6.
the V6 will get the best economy and I believe they have AWD models which will help with ur weather up there. I did love the 5.7 in 1500 Ram and it wasnt too bad on gas ,but if fuel efficient is the main question with maintenance cost. no doubt the V6.

I dont know too much about the SXT or RT challenger but from what i have seen the SXT have no problem being maintined neither due the R/Ts but the cost of a V8 versus a V6 is always higher.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
There is an old piece of advice when it comes to cars in general, particularly performance cars for the enthusiest...always buy the most you can afford.
What this means is, if you can safely afford the R/T, then do that. If you are considering an R/T at all, then imho, the answer is pretty evident.
The worst regret is knowing you could have bought more car, more options, more performance, more of what you really wanted (which ever is most applicable to your desires) and didnt.
The R/T is a decent jump perf wise over the SXT in any package. The SXT however outsells all other challenger models, so they would be more common for sxt spec parts, etc. You will also see ALOT of low mile sxts on trade in nearly every dealership, least here in the states. Those being from gals & guys who didnt take the old advice above and quickly realized they wanted more perf.
Additionally, the R/T should have a touch more resale potential if/when.
Yes, as was stated, the view out the front glass is all the same and I while I mostly agree with - that to a point- the seat of the pants feeling, accelleration, sound, crowd favorite going down the road , etc certainly isnt. The true difference between basic base model and the top trim/perf levels in this segment of perf cars, is truely night & day.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
177 Posts
@joe77 It depends how much you want the sweet V8 sound. That will ultimately be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
@joe77 It depends how much you want the sweet V8 sound. That will ultimately be the deciding factor.
This is really the difference maker. I have lived with both sides of your decision. I had an SXT plus with súper track pack for 5 years. Never owned an RT, but do have a Scat Pack now.

SXT PLUS = I had a 2015 SXT plus with Super Track Pack. Not sure what year the package definition changed or if it ever did. For my 2015, I specifically shopped for that Super Track Pack. The 1/2 inch lower stance on that STP version was so cool compared to other SXTs. You also got unique wheels with that package. They were the Hyperblack flower shaped rims that weren’t actually black. Some kind of smoke grey color. The regular version of this rim that came in later years, was chrome. IMO the ‘Hyperblack’ versión looked better. Also, you get the super track pack button in the control stack. Owned this car for about 5 years.

I now have a Scat Pack. Mileage in my driving, not even close. The SXT plus was way cheaper to run for me. Oil changes are required more frequently also for the Scat pack. I already bought new tires, and I didn’t even wear out the old ones. So I’d say basic maintenance is higher dollar. I‘m already not looking forward to the eventual spark plug swap, as there’s just more of everything on the 392:).

All that said - the 392 is incredible. I literally get excited as I wrap up my workday, because I think about going to start my car.

The SXT plus was a great car for me. But the one thing that it can’t substitute for, is that start up feeling. The V8 really is ridiculously cool when it starts and idles.

If I was in your circumstances and I had to go to the trouble of importing one - I wouldn’t go less than an RT. And ideally do Scat Pack. Initial cost savings and lower operating costs do make the SXT plus a worthy decision when weighed against an RT. But, if you convince yourself to get the RT, just convince yourself to go Scat Pack. I think the delta between operating costs for SXT VRS RT is much greater than RT vrs Scat Pack. That’s where I believe the operating cost difference is very minor (RT vrs Scat), but the fun factor is higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone!

First, some backstory.

$5230 difference.

Thank you!

joe77.
Hi Joe, I gray imported a face lift challenger couple of years ago.
received_1033002010227140.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would agree with the only buy what you can afford opinion. But every time I start my rt with flow masters I get a smile on my face just from the rumble of the engine. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
here's a thought - if you can order / import a new model.

depending on how you drive. It its a lot of in-city driving the SXT is going to yield better mileage especially at your prices and you can take regular grades of fuel. An R/T manual (while loads of fun) prefers premium grade (98 in UK system?) to do its best.

if you drive longer distances (open roads) the differences aren't as great, but the SXT will still be the mileage champ.

Here's my recommendation:
GT (RWD version - $3k USD less and if you don't need AWD...)
Plus Package - adds leather / alcantara, 8.4" touch screen w/ Nav, heated / vented seats
Performance Handling Group (Brembo - 4pot & paddle shifters)
Driver's Convenience Group (HIDs, blind spot & cross path sensors)

there's two levels of audio options (std is 6 speaker 276w) opt is 9 speaker & sub - 506w or 18 speaker (incl dual subs) - 900w

and sunroof

depending on paint color, you have all black interior or black / ruby red interior option as well.

The above configuration is ~ $38k before adding any further options

Plus the vehicle taxes on 3.6L engine would be lower than a 5.7 in the UK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone!

First, some backstory.

$5230 difference.

Thank you!

joe77.
Hi Joe,
taking everything you said in mind, it really seems you would be happy with a V6 SXT.

Fuel costs, parts, location, and availability, are key in your case.
I own a R/T and love! and I mean love my car! It performs very well and has room for passengers.
Shopping, Holiday, and anything you can throw at it is 100% awesome in my opinion.
V8 on Hills No problem even with 5 people in the car with a trunk full of shopping!
I think the R/T is the middle man of all the Challenger lineup because it is complete with everything.
V6 will struggle a little more but save you on Fuel. No matter what a Challenger Looks amazing.
Take the whole car in mind and I truly believe you are a V6 SXT guy for $5,230 less
because the SXT performs fine and gets better fuel economy, and on top of that has the
same mean look and less on maintenance and Fuel.

Believe me you will be extremely happy with the SXT but my question is, why not the AWD GT?
Pretty good in the snow/mud good performance and drive ability. when I say good in snow I do
not mean great but better than a R/T and a SXT. Gas Mileage/Imperial not metric will be as stated
by the other members here. Do not be worried about someone taking it from you when
you decide and take time to try it out. Either way you will have a very nice car, R/T, or the SXT.
Hope this helps.

1 More thing! You can add on to performance not fuel economy! lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone!

First, some backstory.

$5230 difference.

Thank you!

joe77.
joe77 My 392 Scat Pack averages about 22 mpg and runs on 92 octane only and 90% of that millage is highway miles. My 5.7 R/T is an automatic and averages about 24 mpg. but will run on 87 octane which is 40 to 50 cents cheaper per gallon. You might also look at buying a left over Challenger. I purchased my R/T in February, it was reduced from list $8000.00 dollars. You seem to be wanting something a little unique. Both my R/T and Scat Pack are plum crazy purple shakers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts