Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect many of us have Challengers because they wanted something different from brand X. In that vein of thought, we also mod our cars to be something special and different from the other Challengers.
The question in this post is how many of you are disappointed in your special car now being one of many?
I have always prided my cars on being different from the pack. When everyone else was buying the big 3, I went for an AMX. Now, there are Stangs and Camaros on every corner, and I bought the Challenger.

Over the last 4 yrs, I have modded my Challenger to be different from the rest. Started with buying a color that was different (B5), then onto a shaker hood, then rear louvers, Go-Wing, etc,etc. Now that I have invested all that time and money, B5 is being sold on 2015 V6's, Shakers have been offered in 2014 and now in the 2015's, making them a dime a dozen. Put a SC on my RT to have more power, and now the new 392's are close to that HP level.

You yellow detonator people and PCP guys know what I'm talking about. They were to be 2010 High Impact offerings only and, within two years, there's the Yellow Jacket, and the new PCP's everywhere you look (well, maybe not everywhere!). The 2014 Shaker buyers that thought you were going to have special "numbered" cars, are about to see the same thing, when the 2015's come out and everyone opts for a Shaker, either in the RT or RT Scat Pack version,and now their "special" cars are a dime a dozen.

I loathe going to a car show, or even just to a store parking lot, and seeing the exact same example of my car sitting there. Another reason i don't have a Mustang or Camaro. I just gotta be different.

With that in mind, I am contemplating going to a Speedlogix hood, as there doesn't seem to be many of them around; or even one of the AAR trufiber hoods, and maybe going to a B5 AAR theme with my ride. Then I look at the 2015's grille and realize, that would fit in perfect with the AAR type of grille. So, the question is to trade up for a 2015 B5 392 Scat Pack RT, regular hood, or keep what I got? This need to be diefferent is as bad as OCD and Moditis!!

Anyone else have this same problem?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
This is my Challenger. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my Challenger is useless. Without my Challenger, I am useless. I must drive my challenger true. I must drive faster than the enemy who is trying to race me. I must drop the clutch on him before he drops the clutch me. I will. My Challenger and I know that what counts in racing is not the mods we make, the noise of our exhaust, or the smoke we make. We know that it is winning that counts. We will win.

My Challenger is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its tires, and its engine. I will keep my Challenger clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My Challenger and I are the defenders of my track. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is ours and there is no enemy.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I know what you're saying.. since I have a 2013 PCP I'm part of the problem according to the 2010 owners.. :)

I make changes to my car and own the color I do because I like it, honestly I don't see a PCP everyday even though there are many more out there than I see. I've only seen 3 maybe 4 in my area in real life over the last few years so it hasn't came to pass that I'm part of the "dime a dozen" crowd yet..

and honestly it doesn't bother me if someone else has one almost just like mine, because what someone else does doesn't diminish my enjoyment of my car. now if there were 3 PCP's at every red light like the Mustang crowd experiences I might have a different attitude.. :thumbsup:

@ Danner, I'm in Fort Worth and have never seen your PCP SRT as far as I know.. you a member of the DFWLX Club? I've only been to one monthly GTG over at the church.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Think your overthinking it, it you want something EXCLUSIVE, you'll have to have a thick wallet. bring $150-200K to the table and you can get something more "exclusive"

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
DUDE............

This is my Challenger. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my Challenger is useless. Without my Challenger, I am useless. I must drive my challenger true. I must drive faster than the enemy who is trying to race me. I must drop the clutch on him before he drops the clutch me. I will. My Challenger and I know that what counts in racing is not the mods we make, the noise of our exhaust, or the smoke we make. We know that it is winning that counts. We will win.

My Challenger is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its tires, and its engine. I will keep my Challenger clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My Challenger and I are the defenders of my track. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

I love my Challenger too but, you're scaring me man...............................:weird:

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts

Oh l agree 100% :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
I've favored Chrysler's muscle cars / pony cars - different from the pack. Colors / styling, etc.

GM is another favorite - I like the 1st gen F-body (especially the '69) and their A-body coupes '68 through '72.

The Challenger and Barracuda picked up on GM's styling cues and executed the interiors a bit better (instruments, guages) and the '68-'70 / '71-'74 B-bodies had similar qualities to GM's '66-'67 A-body and the '68-'72 ones.

I go to shows today and I'll see lots of Mustangs and the newer Camaros. Not that many Challengers or Chargers.

The Mustang had it moments, but after the '70, the bloat ('71-'73) set in, then the mediocrity ('74-'78), and so-so performers ('79-'82) with better styling, but cramped inside. The '94-'99 was another "meh" with styling and performance and the '00-'04 got better. The '05 was a return to form...but they're so common its like seeing rental fleet cars all over the place.

The 4th gen Camaro...it got pretty stale by the time it was retired after the '02 model year. The 5th gen -missed the mark on styling/ergonomics and function. For what was "inspired" by the '69 was pretty vague and for GM to have such bad ergonomics and odd styling was baffling.

Since the OP has a '10...you remember having people point you out, follow you to the gas station, ask to look over the car.

I get a kick out of seeing kids under the age of 15 that stop in their tracks...their parents were likely to have been born after the E-bodies stopped production in '74...that says something when younger generations take note of a car.

Reactions: Palerider15

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I loathe going to a car show, or even just to a store parking lot, and seeing the exact same example of my car sitting there. Another reason i don't have a Mustang or Camaro. I just gotta be different.

With that in mind, I am contemplating going to a Speedlogix hood, as there doesn't seem to be many of them around; or even one of the AAR trufiber hoods, and maybe going to a B5 AAR theme with my ride. Then I look at the 2015's grille and realize, that would fit in perfect with the AAR type of grille. So, the question is to trade up for a 2015 B5 392 Scat Pack RT, regular hood, or keep what I got? This need to be diefferent is as bad as OCD and Moditis!!

Anyone else have this same problem?
Your car is still a beautiful car even if there will be more like it...

To answer your question though yep I like the fact that my car looks different. I've had people at work ask about the AAR package cause it looks like something that would be potentially offered yet they've never seen another. I've also looked at the 2015 front grill and thought it would flow well with the AAR theme if I was to trade my car in but I doubt I'll do it. As for the shaker I was considering it as an option cause I think they look great but I'm leaning more towards a Speedlogix hood since there won't be as many of them as there will be shakers in the future.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
First off, I have the "ride" that I wanted, with the available options that I wanted, in the color that I wanted (DY) for 3 1/2 years now.

I can't control what Dodge does, or doesn't do, as far as offering colors and options. I don't worry about it, or take offence, when Dodge offers something that I already have. On a side note, I have only seen two other R/TC's in DY, both on the road and not in my area, FWIW.

I guess that I'm saying that my car is "special" to me, even though other may have the same car. That's how it is with modern production units. I'm just happy to have what I really like, and I've done my silly little list of mods, to my liking.

A really special car, takes really special money, BIG money. Honestly, I've seen several of these on this forum, and all I can say is if the owner is happy with it, that's all that matters, because of few of these big buck specials...........................I wouldn't want to been seen near, more less driving.

That's how modding a car works in my mind. I content myself, and that's all that matters.

Shoot, I could be the guy at the stop light in the minivan that reeks of diapers, looking at my ride and just wishing.

I'm a lucky guy, and happy with my ride.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I'm thrilled to see more challengers on the road, and will be delighted to see more 392's around. More challengers mean more happy people, less rude drivers, more sporty driving! :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think your overthinking it, it you want something EXCLUSIVE, you'll have to have a thick wallet. bring $150-200K to the table and you can get something more "exclusive"
Well, I guess there is exclusivity in buying something off a lot, in that manner, like a Ferrari or a Lamborgini (I'll never know), but that isn't what i'm referring to. I'm talking about making something yours, a reflection of your personality and likes, not something money buys and is placed in front of you. You may be right though, I probably am overthinking it. :guiness:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a white rt classic with the red rt stripe and I like the fact that I don't see any like it .. If I did I wouldn't care cause it enjoy mine "it's mine"

·
Mumber
1,073 Posts
I have a 13PCP rtc and the only person that had anything negative about it was a guy who has a 2010 pcp srt8 challenger. I thought his car was sweet. He said mine was a copy cat pos. Every body else gives a big thumbs up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
502 Posts
To the OP, I know how you feel. I bought a black Challenger last year. I only noticed a few in my area before my purchase, but now I see them everywhere. I try not to let it stress me out because when I'm done with my exterior mods no other Challenger will look like mine. Unless someone copies me!

Reactions: Palerider15

·
Registered
724 Posts
To the OP, I know how you feel. I bought a black Challenger last year. I only noticed a few in my area before my purchase, but now I see them everywhere. I try not to let it stress me out because when I'm done with my exterior mods no other Challenger will look like mine. Unless someone copies me!

LOL did you really think Black was rare? In the Chicago area that seems to be all I see, I had a 13 Black SRT and saw them all the time, I think if you check the numbers it is the most sold color across the board of all levels of Challengers, as for mods I'm curious to see what you can do to a black Challenger that hasn't already been done over and over, Please post pictures when your done.

·
Mumber
1,073 Posts
The copy thing comes up again. In previous post about pcp the only thing that was the same was pcp. He had black letter mopar on the side I have white side stripes he had black wheels I have heritage 1 wheels his was srt mine is rtc. Copy?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts