Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,797 Posts
FINE! I’ll do the doors instead of playing with my TranZformer.

I’m only halfway done with the process of dialing in all the individual gear shift firmness settings for AutoStick upshifts, and then I still have all the downshifts to dial in for AutoStick.

I swear, I don’t know what you have against my TranZformer. Is it because this Xmas present has brought me the most joy post Xmas in almost 40 years of Xmases?
not to take away from your post-Xmas joy - how to you have Autostick with a column shifter? Unless there's an up/down switch on the stalk?

AFIK, that was only on the console shift that I was aware of - haven't seen that many Pursuit package Chargers, although I know a couple of folks that have them.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
you just turn the shift firmness all the way up for both up and down shifts.... Should snap your neck under hard acceleration and deceleration but, isn't that the point?

Might even "chirp" the tires.... "Torque Grab" as I call it on downshifts is awesome!
Oh, no.....No, no, no.....No, no, no, no, no...

I tried 80% across the board for AutoStick upshifts (with only 40% for the throttle slider) when I first hooked it up, and the first WOT run thru gears 1-2-3 left me with an intermittent airbag warning light and a non-working sub amp.

I got the sub amp working again, but the airbag light now Illuminates and then goes out with each hard upshift and downshift. That would only be slightly annoying, and easily be worth the addition of the TZ, if it were only a visual distraction to my driving. Throw in the audible chime each time it illuminates, which BTW matches the volume of whatever’s playing on my stereo, and i got myself the makings of a full-blown thorn in my side!

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
not to take away from your post-Xmas joy - how to you have Autostick with a column shifter? Unless there's an up/down switch on the stalk?

AFIK, that was only on the console shift that I was aware of - haven't seen that many Pursuit package Chargers, although I know a couple of folks that have them.
it’s got a rocker switch on the backside of the shifter that handles the shifts and a button in the end of the shifter to engage/disengage Autostick.

that is a completely wonky way to handle it when coming from a console shift like the normal automatic cars have, and I thought I would always hate it and never use it when I first got the car. But after getting used to using it, and using it for a year or so, I gotta say, it is a really easy way to do Autostick gear shifting with minimal effort in all driving conditions (both interior and exterior).

It’s still not as fun on a guttural level as banging the console shifter left and right, but as far as functionality and usability, I’m every bit as efficient with the column shift AutoStick as I was with the console shift AutoStick. Its second nature to me now to rest my hand on my knee and work that rocker switch at each stop light, and I won’t even move a muscle the whole time except for my thumb...quite relaxing!

im still trying to decide whether or not I like the steering wheel button shifting in Autostick that my gen 2 TZ provides. I kinda liked the gen 1 TZ‘s way of doing that - remapping the buttons on the back of the steering wheel, but the gen 2 utilizes the cruise control +/- buttons on the front for steering wheel shifting in Autostick. That means they cannot be used for cruise control operation when in Autostick, and that’s not good for me. I use cruise control a lot, and I use those +/- buttons every single time I drive in cruise. So to remove them from the cruise operation may be a bridge too far for me...

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
425 Posts
try rowing my ram, stick moves way to much travel and not always works in a fun way at all.

2013 Longhorn console shift

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah, I co
I have no idea what's going on with your doors from those pictures. Obviously, there must be a way to get to the door metal - and inside the door (or else you could never replace a window regulator, for example). Sounds like it's more work than you are willing to do though - and I can't say I blame you - those doors look very different than the Challenger doors!
i Could remove the plastic shells I’m assuming to get to the door shell, but I’m not going to. That Is way more trouble than I want to endure right now. Doing the rear deck is going to be more involved than I thought, so I’m saving my energy for that.

although, now that I finally figured out the main rattle from the deck I was hearing during heavy bass notes was my 200mm fan in the 8” factory sub hole, my motivation for even doing the rear deck has diminished down to near zero. I’ve got all the trim and rear shoulder pads out already, so I might as well do something to the deck, but the annoying rattling is already gone before I add any sound deadening material, so I’m not going to go crazy with it now.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
try rowing my ram, stick moves way to much travel and not always works in a fun way at all.

2013 Longhorn console shift
Do the trucks have that same shifter mounted Autostick functionality?

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
425 Posts
U move it left or right to shift. Labor intensive as hell

(Picture is not from my truck)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,797 Posts
U move it left or right to shift. Labor intensive as hell

(Picture is not from my truck)
that's the Rams auto stick console (A5) until they went over to the rotary shifter that's on the dash.

don't think that paddle shifters have been offered on Rams

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
425 Posts
that's the Rams auto stick console (A5) until they went over to the rotary shifter that's on the dash.

don't think that paddle shifters have been offered on Rams

We have the 6 speed, 8 speed went to the knob on dash

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We have the 6 speed, 8 speed went to the knob on dash
...knob on dash, huh....

damnit!! I know there‘s an infantile joke in there somewhere, but I’ll be danged if I can’t seem to extract one at the moment...

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Alright, I just used a half of a sheet to cover what I could of the rear deck, and I lined the underside of the rear cover with that foam sealing tape. It looks like a drunken monkey detoxing off a bad morphine habit did the cutting and application of the stuff on the cover’s underside that lays on the rear deck, but I don’t care. I’m done bending over and squeezing into that car trying to do this stuff, not to mention I get a very bad feeling every time I have to sit in the back seat for very long.

So I’m calling this project done...for now anyway.

2167C2D7-2170-4CA2-913A-B2DF01B38437.jpeg

375B0EE7-783B-43B1-890D-90BB0BE61942.jpeg

C430ED7B-61F5-4CFC-A835-43EC8D77172D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
425 Posts
I’m done bending over and squeezing into that car trying to do this stuff, not to mention I get a very bad feeling every time I have to sit in the back seat for very long.

ROFL

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’m done bending over and squeezing into that car trying to do this stuff, not to mention I get a very bad feeling every time I have to sit in the back seat for very long.

ROFL
people scoff when I say it’s truly a joy to drive this car because they think I’m trying to brag about the car’s acceleration or cornering ability or the traveling zone of safety that continually surrounds it where ever it goes.

All this things are nice, but they pale in comparison to how good it feels to be in a cop car and NOT be riding in the back seat, all cuffed and stuffed. 🥳👍😁😀😁🤠🤘😇😛

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,724 Posts
...knob on dash, huh....

damnit!! I know there‘s an infantile joke in there somewhere, but I’ll be danged if I can’t seem to extract one at the moment...
This car is so small, I get tired of having to rest my...

A Guy :whistle:

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This car is so small, I get tired of having to rest my...

A Guy :whistle:
<groan>
🥱
did Benny Hingman hack your acct?

Or is it Hungman...

I know it’s not Benny Hanna...

Benny Hill?

No, wait, I know, I know, it’s Ben & Jerry’s!!

🤔

or possibly Tom & Jerry...

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
While trying to hook up my new 8” midrange speaker in the rear deck I naturally ended up pulling the whole audio system out of the trunk plus the floor board (??). While it was bare, I figured I’d use a couple more sheets of sound deadening to sound proof the floor pan in the rear under the deck:

And I tried to get the inside of the quarter panels over the whee wells but my amp rack slide-outs was in the way for most of it:

And that’s probably the last of this stuff I’m going to use on this car, but I still have a double butt-load of this sound deadener stuff left:

There’s at least as much left as what I’ve used so far. So if anyone is interested in doing the same sort of thing to their LX/LC, hit me up via PM and I’m sure we can work something out for sale or trade on the leftovers. 🤑

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It was amazing what just a sheet in each door and 4 on the floor of my 2003 Ram did for sound quality. I had friends ask if I put new speakers in or something. Nope, I had the same JL's I had put in when I hit 36K miles. I went back and got the sound deadening after a friend got it done in his F150. Worth every penny. With all Nuke did, it should be impressive.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It was amazing what just a sheet in each door and 4 on the floor of my 2003 Ram did for sound quality. I had friends ask if I put new speakers in or something. Nope, I had the same JL's I had put in when I hit 36K miles. I went back and got the sound deadening after a friend got it done in his F150. Worth every penny. With all Nuke did, it should be impressive.
Yeah, I've known for a while this was something I needed to do once I got to a certain level with my audio upgrades, but I just kept putting it off. Now that I've finally done pretty much the whole rear of the car, I am glad I did it. I've got a danged nice JL Audio sub back there in a ported box getting pushed by a danged powerful Polk amp, and it was vibration city before the sound deadening. Now the rattles and vibrations are virtually gone, not to mention it sounds better inside the car too.

If I ever get really industrious, I'll pull the floor pan cover and do those with sound deadener to cancel out more of the road noise still making it in...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts