Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the scat pack model, I know there really isn't any performance improvements with either package, however I was curious if the TA intake or the Shaker intake sounds better than the other?

Huge thanks in advance for taking the time.

·
Super Moderator
16,117 Posts
its probably going to be similar - both CAI air boxes draw both from the fender apron and you have the hood scoop - through the hood on the T/A and the Shaker scoop protruding through the hood.

The CAI air boxes and filter are pretty similar to each other with some slight differences

Reactions: alma41

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
For the scat pack model, I know there really isn't any performance improvements with either package, however I was curious if the TA intake or the Shaker intake sounds better than the other?

Huge thanks in advance for taking the time.
I believe they are more for look/style then actual positive HP improvement. I have a Shaker Scat Pack, my friend has a T/A. As far as any sound, none that I can hear and I've driven his T/A.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
487 Posts
...TA intake or the Shaker intake sounds better than the other?...
I have it on good authority the Shaker does sound different. At WOT the driver sees the engine twitch as it takes on the horsepower. Then the little boy behind the steering wheel start to giggle outloud, creating a fundamentally different sound from a TA. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since they have the same engine and exhaust system, I'm guessing they will sound the same or very similar. If you're trying to decide between those 2 packages, I would focus on looks more than sound. Each one has a distinctive, unique look, so you'll have to determine which one you prefer to see everyday for years to come. Also, read up on owning a car with matte paint, as it makes washing and caring for a T/A a lot different than a Shaker. Just my 2 cents, as a T/A owner.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,184 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) From anecdotal information, the V8 sound overrides any specific intake sound. That is, exhaust trumps intake

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,931 Posts
Yeah, I have owned both the T/A and several Shakers. You can't hear any difference, mostly because the exhaust of both, over powers your ears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gents, this was all very helpful and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond. I felt like I might be losing something by picking one over the other, but good to know it is pure aesthetics and preference. Interesting about the matte paint comment as I have never looked into this and wasn't planning anything special would be needed.

I was leaning towards the TA with the stripe delete (smoke shade), but maybe saving the $4K (or even the $2.5K for the Shaker) might allow me to splurge in other areas.

Lastly thanks for the welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I will tell you that my Shaker gets many rave reviews even from the Mustang guys.

BTW! As far as the sound goes there is no difference between the model with the same engine...... When you hit the SPORT button the exhaust "diffuser" opens fully and it gets louder.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I will tell you that my Shaker gets many rave reviews even from the Mustang guys. Agree!

BTW! As far as the sound goes there is no difference between the model with the same engine...... When you hit the SPORT button the exhaust "diffuser" opens fully and it gets louder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting about the matte paint comment as I have never looked into this and wasn't planning anything special would be needed.
To clarify, it's not a huge deal, but you can't take matte paint through any car washes, so it is hand wash all the way. You also have to use soap that is made for matte paint and dry it in straight lines or you'll get swirls, if you towel dry instead of letting it air dry. I have a pressure washer and use a foam cannon with it, so hand washing is not a big deal for me. Also, the matte soap works fine on glossy paint, so you can wash the entire car with the same soap. Just be prepared for more effort to keep the matte paint looking clean. Fingerprints are the devil with matte paint. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
To clarify, it's not a huge deal, but you can't take matte paint through any car washes, so it is hand wash all the way. You also have to use soap that is made for matte paint and dry it in straight lines or you'll get swirls, if you towel dry instead of letting it air dry. I have a pressure washer and use a foam cannon with it, so hand washing is not a big deal for me. Also, the matte soap works fine on glossy paint, so you can wash the entire car with the same soap. Just be prepared for more effort to keep the matte paint looking clean. Fingerprints are the devil with matte paint. :)
"IF" you want to keep ANY paint in pristine condition AVOID commercial car washes. There are many options including waterless wash for maintaining your car. Detail your paint PROPERLY and it will be easy to maintain and look great. There is a matte stripe cleaner available that works great.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
2,392 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. I am sure you would fall in love with either one once you mash the pedal. I am sure the sound of the intake would be secondary over the exhaust and the overall experience. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts