Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed out the door to look at three options, all of them R/T models. One has the standard sound system, the second has an Alpine system at $995 and the third has a Harman Kardon system for $1,295. I'm pretty certain I want at least the Alpine upgrade, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Hopefully, within the next day or two, I can come back and learn from you guys. I've always been a Challenger fan since watching the original Vanishing Point movie.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
The base system isn't much unless all you do is listen to talk shows. I love my HK system, but it does come at a price.

Reactions: Jack44

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
446 Posts
Mine has the 'premium' Alpine system, and IMO there's nothing premium about it at all. Here's a pic of the "Premium" dash speakers I just pulled out. They don't look very premium to me lol. I'm about to pull the door and rear speakers out soon too. If you don't get the HK, i'd say just get the base system and upgrade it yourself
Gauge Measuring instrument Analog watch Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
99 Posts
Depends on your needs. If you listen to your music loud and want crisp highs and low bass notes then HK is well worth the upgrade out of sheer convenience of not worrying about going aftermarket. It's no competition setup but enough to enjoy all genres of music at a loud volume while maintaining clarity. I have not heard the Alpine audio group personally so cant comment on that. I have the factory/stock "Alpine Premium". It's basically 2 door mid speakers, 2 high tweeters in the dash, and 2 rear mid speakers. It's good enough to listen all genres music at moderate levels but gets distorted at higher volumes. The bass is weak but the clarity is fine for my needs up to 70% volume. Anything louder it gets distorted and crackly.

I was a huge car audio enthusiast in my 20's and stepped away from that hobby since. If I could do it again, I'd dish out the money for the HK upgrade and call it a day. It sounds great and just enough bass for me to feel the thump from hip hop music.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
723 Posts
Speaking from experience.............get the Harman Kardon system. If cost is not a problem, do it. That way, no regrets.

·
Banned
295 Posts
My Alpine system sound great. Not the best, but more than adequate for my needs. Some upgraded front speakers would take it up a notch, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
I have the standard Alpine in mine & I wish mine came with the HK system. If it was possible to add the HK system to mine now, I would do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If you are really interested in great-sounding audio, just get the base system and install an aftermarket system. It would could less than the "upgraded" systems and sound WAY better....

This is assuming that you are willing to do the install work yourself. Otherwise, paying a competent shop to install everything will cost an arm and a leg. :)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
I knew a guy back in '77 who had an AMX with a Alpine/Fosgate system that would partially deafen you for hours. It was like standing front-row at a Led Zeppelin concert... God, I miss the 70's. :cautious:
Did it look something like this?

Reactions: 68Coronet

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Challenger SXT AWD
217 Posts
I had the base speakers on my SXT, and they were terrible. Replacing the speakers made a huge upgrade. I then added the Kenwood amp and I love it.

My Scat Pack has the Alpine speakers. I’m happy with it, as I’d rather hear the 392 over music.

Here is a pic comparing the base dash speaker with the Kenwoods I put in.

Reactions: 68Coronet

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
I have the second tier alpine upgrade, which supposedly has 9 speakers, 3 more than the stock 6. Is that the "premium" alpine? I like my sounds as is, but if it has those cheapo speakers, I'd like to check Crutchfield and see what I can replace eventually. Is there a map of the car as to where some of the speakers be at?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't bother with an upgraded system, as nothing would be close to what I currently have in my 97 Dakota. 2- Mcintosh amps pushing 1200 watts each, Alpine and Mcintosh processing, Dynaudio 3 way front stage , sound stream subs [ pics are from when I was doing the install]. I listen to the exhaust not the stereo in the Challenger.
Rectangle Line Audio equipment Entertainment Font
Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Circuit component Cameras & optics

·
Banned
295 Posts
I'm not a fan of thundering bass tones, but I do think a crossover and subwoofer would be great for separation. Rap and hip-hop is basically devoid of musical tones; as it is mainly limited to voice, bass and cadence. For that, I'm sure the stock 3 band EQ is fine. I'm looking for the best possible equalization, which the Unconnect does not provide.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah, if you really want the ability to "tune" your system, look into the PAC AmpPro 4 and DSP. The AmpPro 4 will give you clean, line-level outputs from your OEM head-unit and then a DSP gives you the ultimate tuning flexibility. We're talking 31-bands of parametric EQ per channel (depending on the specific DSP - some "only" have 10 bands per channel). :)

Get expensive very quickly - but if you like great-sounding audio, there is nothing better than an aftermarket system with a DSP.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts