Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I’ve been trying to read as much as I can on upgrading my stock system in my 2015 Challenger. It does not have premium sound as I checked where the amp would be under the kick panel and there is none. My question is, do I need an LOC now ? Can I use the ampro module or no? I changed all the speakers and now want an amp to power them to be a bit louder. What a joke these stock systems are ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
You might actually be at an advantage because you can run an LOC like the Audio Control LC6 or LC7 to a sound processor (optional) and amps that can take advantage of the better speakers and power a quality sub. Others here seem to like the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 integrated solution. However you go, or even if you go in steps over time, you will like the improvements.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Can I use that Rockford module without a factory amp installed ?
Hmm.... While the DSR1 does completely replace the stock amp (unlike the PAC Audio AP4, which still uses the stock amp for some of the work), I believe that it connects to the wiring that used to go to the stock amp - at least if you were to use the plug-and-play T-harness that is for the Callenger. Since I don't think you'd have that amp wiring, I'm not sure how the DSR1 would work on a "base" system. I *think* you could probably run the DSR1 in "universal" mode - but I think it would require you to hack up the factory wiring in order to get the head-unit signals to the DSR1. I'd check with the Rockford Fosgate folks to get their input.

If you don't plan on adding amps for the dash/door/rear-deck speakers in the future, I'm not so sure it would be worth all of the trouble though. If you just want to add a sub, I think I'd go with an AudioControl LOC - that would allow you to connect a sub using the rear-deck speaker wires and also help avoid the bass roll-off that the stock head-unit performs at higher volume levels (so that you feed your sub amp a full bass signal instead of a bass-reduced signal at higher volumes).

If you do plan on amp'ing the other speakers in the future, it may be worth looking into the DSR1 now - but I would contact Rockford Fosgate to get their input first.

Nothing is easy on these newer cars when it comes to audio! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan on amping all the speakers. Well af least the doors and rear speakers. No sub. Crutchfield recommend I use schosche slc4 line out converter. Would this work ?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Sorry - I was confusing your thread with another one where they only wanted to add a sub.

I guess it all depends on how far you are looking to go. A LOC will work but you'll have limited control over the sound (whatever controls the amp provides plus the bass/mid/treble and fade controls on the head-unit). Whereas if a DSR1 would work, you also get full DSP functionality for *complete* control over everything. If you have the amps to support 6 channels, whether through a single amp or multiple amps, the DSR1 would allow you to adjust gain, EQ, time alignment, etc - for every speaker. And with a cheap LOC, you would still have the bass roll-off issue as you turn the volume up.

So it really depends on how far you are looking to go and how much $$ you want to spend. :)

Personally, I wanted the level of control the DSR1 provides for the Alpine 6-speaker amplified system upgrade. But it's $250 for the DSR1, then the amps, then all new speaker wires, etc, etc, etc.

If you do call Rockford Fosgate to see if it would work with a non-amplified system, please do report back and I'm not 100% sure if it wold work or not.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Stars & Stripes Scatpack
186 Posts
I had a custom plug and play Harness made when I had my 2018 sxt with the base non amplified system. Looks very similar to the amppro PAC unit. Was a nice 200 spent for not touching the factory wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone used one of the powered subs? I’m not looking for something that would rattle the neighbors windows, I just want a little extra punch. I have a 2020 scat pack with the alpine system.
Is it possible that the harness to the Harmon sub is there and just not used?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Has anyone used one of the powered subs? I’m not looking for something that would rattle the neighbors windows, I just want a little extra punch. I have a 2020 scat pack with the alpine system.
Is it possible that the harness to the Harmon sub is there and just not used?
I have a JBL BassPro SL under the passenger seat of my 2018 GT. It does a great job for what it is. WIth some tuning via my DSP, I can get it to play down to about 35hz at high levels. The response drops like a rock at 35hz though. But if you just want to fill out the low end, it can definitely do it and will do it way better than even the best aftermarket 6x9 speakers - even if amplified.

If you went this route, I'd probably recommend the PAC SubPro device - it connects between the factory head-unit and the factory amp and gives you clean, flat, line-level outputs to add a sub without dealing with bass roll-off, etc....

The JBL is one of the more expensive underseat subs, but it really does do a great job. It fits perfectly under the manual passenger seat (would fit under the power drivers seat too, but if you lower the drivers seat too much, it may be in the way of the seat). There is not a whole lot of room under the Challenger seats.

You are going to have to run a power wire back to the battery though (there is a great grounding spot right under the carpet in front of where you install the BassPro SL though). The install is a decent amount of work (have to pull the seat, pull up the carpet, run the power wire back to the trunk, run RCAs to the PAC SubPro, etc.). I've come to find that nice car audio installs really are a lot of work. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts