Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced a valve tap sound form under the hood. The only mods I have on the car are an exhaust and the Cervivis Ram Air kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes. Sometimes when I start the car i hear a clack clack like you would hear on the first start after an oil change, but this is when the car has been running less than an hour before. It goes away after a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
my 2008 Charger R/T had the HEMI tick bad, it had it from almost day 1 when it was cold and warming up, once I got to the 40-50k mark it decided to settle in and stay all the time.

From what I understand it doesn't hurt anything in the long run, it just makes your car sound like a beater :disgust:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Tracked mine down to the fuel pump. Lift your back seat and see if it's coming from there. Mine didn't start until I put the SC on though.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's a "design flaw" with all modern hemis. An aftermarket camshaft, along with pushrods and valve springs has been known to get rid of it for most people. There's some theory that the factory pushrods are just a wee bit too short (thousandths of an inch) and as time goes on they get just a wee bit shorter which is why it gets more pronounced as you add on the mileage. There are hemis with over 200k miles on them that have had it since day 1 in the trucks. Some folks claim that playing with oil weights can reduce it some, but just as many say it doesn't do squat. On MDS equipped vehicles that's not really an option. My truck with 103k miles on it sounds like a whistler when I pull through the drive thru. It's a little embarrassing if you care. If it suddenly goes from a volume level 2 up to a volume level 10 all of the sudden though, you need to be mindful of a broken valve spring. A dropped valve can completely destroy an engine if you try to start it again.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I hear it occaisionally but it doesn't bother me. I've read plenty that it's a Hemi thing and I like Hemis so I guess I got to like the tick too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.