Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2018 SXT at the end of May from south county dodge in Gilroy, CA to celebrate new big boy job. However, as the miles go on, I’m starting to notice some things that don’t quite seem OEM or certified pre-owned in anyway.

I have been having “oomph” issues as of this morning. By that I mean it seems the pedal almost has to be at the floor to get her going. To go 80 on the highway, she dropped herself into fourth gear when 80 was her jogging pace before. I took it to get her oil changed for the first time and after it seemed marginally better. Transmission seems to shift, regardless of fear, at 2K when swear she didn’t do that before. Side note, I hate how people look st you crazy when you say your car “feels off”. It’s my baby of course I notice lol. also worth noting, all gauges for temp were reading mid guage , which seemed peculiar. Furthermore oil pressure seems to climb up to 50 under a Load. Is this typical?? The oils techs also said the oil look dark, enough that they noticed it. I got her at 18K and is only on 22500 a few months later, is this typical?

When I looked under the hood before the appointment, i noticed a whine that seems to come from engine bay near passenger side. I also noticed the hose from coolant tank to terminal point was out of its clip. Put it back in no problem. Later the same day, I noticed the zip tie job that seems to be holding the tube from the air intake together. Looks like actual tape, with zip tie around, holding what I guess would be a hole underneath. Terminal connection seems loose as the whole tube can be jostled around. My questions is are these OEM repairs? Does everyone’s have this? Also there seems to be a dry white stuff all over the engine bay. My husband suspects coolant, but all the marks seems older. I have the mopar protection and wonder if I take it to them for the guaranteed bit of “it wasn’t like that when we sold it” or take it to someone else for independent review. Also, is the engine missing a price in the pic with what looks like an exposed bearing?? And in fourth, that’s ****ing masking tape?? How would they miss these things if inspected? Doesn’t all this show some sort of negligence and perhaps incorrect representation of what was being bought? For all these issues been shown or mentioned ahead of time I’d have just gotten the R/T for a couple more bucks a month

I wouldn’t doubt the “number one challenger dealer in California” didn’t truly inspect her as they claimed. For a little backstory, we bought the car late, and they seemed to rush us out to the point that they did not take a copy of my license and also had waited until last minute to submit paperwork for trade in to finance company. Also, it was so “new” that they couldn’t didn’t detail her before the purchase. Promised “come back anytime I’ll have em Clean it”. Did I get a lemon? Should I expect a battle in trying to A) find the issues and B) have them realize they must have been negligent and didn’t see the previous issue.

Please help.

TLDR: stay away from California number one challenger dealer. They got that from selling less than certified citrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The K&N sticker is a give away someone did something to it.

My R/T leaked a little coolant (My fault for not putting the cap on straight) and it leaves a white residue when it dries.

As fare as your other concerns I am sure @A Guy will know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The K&N sticker is a give away someone did something to it.

My R/T leaked a little coolant (My fault for not putting the cap on straight) and it leaves a white residue when it dries.

As fare as your other concerns I am sure @A Guy will know.

Yes, I’ll take the mystery out of the K&N, I replaced that one. However, I’ve never zip tied my tubes, that for the women

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
Wow, quite a leap from "Installed amp/sub and now rough engine, bad mpg", to I got a lemon from a chop shop!

Yours

Mine

Yours

Mine

Not sure what you are showing here?

As far as dry white stuff, again hard to say as your engine bay is so dirty. I can't speak to what it looked like when you got it, but you say they said they didn't clean it.

To be honest, and I have no reason to defend that dealer, I have always heard good things about them, and at least some of your complaints are normal. I can't speak to your performance issues as I haven't seen anything definitive that you don't have an amp issue, but we've said from the beginning that if we could eliminate that, then you'd some unrelated issue.

If you have genuine issues, and not just these appearance issues you point out which are normal, and you have a warranty, by all means, take it in. Have them do a test drive with you so they can witness the issue(s). But so far all you've done is say you have an issue after an amp install, and now leap to calling them a chop shop when they're apparently unaware you have any issues, and you've never even spoken to them.

A Guy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, quite a leap from "Installed amp/sub and now rough engine, bad mpg", to I got a lemon from a chop shop!

Yours

Mine

Yours

Mine

Not sure what you are showing here?

As far as dry white stuff, again hard to say as your engine bay is so dirty. I can't speak to what it looked like when you got it, but you say they said they didn't clean it.

To be honest, and I have no reason to defend that dealer, I have always heard good things about them, and at least some of your complaints are normal. I can't speak to your performance issues as I haven't seen anything definitive that you don't have an amp issue, but we've said from the beginning that if we could eliminate that, then you'd some unrelated issue.

If you have genuine issues, and not just these appearance issues you point out which are normal, and you have a warranty, by all means, take it in. Have them do a test drive with you so they can witness the issue(s). But so far all you've done is say you have an issue after an amp install, and now leap to calling them a chop shop when they're apparently unaware you have any issues, and you've never even spoken to them.

A Guy

More so on the track now that perhaps unlikely as it is, there may be two issues going on that are confounding eachother. The last one is a piece of tape that seems to be holding a hose down. From you second picture it seems you don’t have the machines area where the ball sits? Why is that?

Amp was unplugged and not played and there is still the issue so must be something else besides the amp, is that a correct statment

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
I can't say about the machined area, I'll have to look. It wouldn't be in the pic I posted due to the angle. Not sure "where the ball sits". If the amp was indeed disconnected from they car completely, then yes, you have another issue. Usually someone will then take it in for service.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
Yours

Mine: Normal

Yours

Mine: Normal

So...no evidence they have done anything wrong. You say they didn't clean it because it just came in. I assume it was not sold as a Certified Pre-Owned? Sounds like a trade in that they hadn't even gone over yet? Not sure how long you had it before having the amp installed, and your problems began.

Again, I have never heard anything bad about South County before. There can always be individual issues.

https://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/South-County-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram-review-22057/

Guy

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Im not trying to be a D%$# here, and may not be what you want to hear, but nothing you've mentioned as best as I read it, is proof that the dealer is screwing you over. In fact, I dont see much out of norm from the pics. Yet here you are slandering a dealership online. people have been sued for such things.

You bought a used car. A car with miles on it and at least one, if not more, previous owners. Lord knows what may ahve been done to it in that time.
You have driven the car and added more miles to it.
A dealer is not going to make a used car "brand new" for you before purchase. no dealer will. for anyone. Thats not how any of this works. Many wont even check the car out, after its initial trade-in inspection.
Cars of low quality/condition are normally traded down to lower level used car dealerships, so the fact that yours wasnt sitting at "jim n' bobs used cars & wheelbarrows" lot by the railroad tracks & the fresh bait shop, means it met a certain standard already.
Some dealers will opt to detail and fix obvious stuff to bring condition up, but only if the car has a wide market potential and the cost to do so is minimal - or if it is required by law for safety (like bald tires, cracked glass, etc) or to make certain its emissions compliant, etc.

Certified pre-owned is an internal (to dealership) 'checked' system. nothing more. It normally means that certain items on a paper check list have been tested as "operating" thats it.
(yes there are exceptions, like "factory cert honda pre-owned", but not many)
For example, if the heater works, the inspection mechanic isnt going to tear down the heater system anyway to ensure its all 200% original and will work for the next 50yrs, he's going to check the box as "good" and move on.
As for the oil cond...some engines are harder on oils than others, 4200 miles post purchase can certainly turn fresh oil into brown/black goo, if the engine itself is worn down, the car has been driven mad max style all the time or there are other issues. Dealer may have not even changed it, just checked level and again..moved on down the list.
Is that how it should be? prob not. is that unlawful, a scam, a bad dealer?..sorry, not hardly.
Now, Your warranty (if applies) assures you as a buyer of certain level of protection if in fact the car can be shown to have faults - that are covered under that warranty. Even brand new cars with 1 mile on them, have issues flaws, defects, bad parts, poor quality, etc.
If you bought the car "as is" no warranty and the dealership didnt provide an additional option for one, than truth be told, thats all on you. The dealership isnt required to even listen to your complaint the very minute you took legal possession. You made the adult decision to purchase knowing that, if anything goes south the second you leave the lot, its your time & dime.
So is buying a car at night and not taking the time to check things out for yourself or have it inspected by a trusted 3rd party. Im sorry you feel things are "off" after driving the car 2000 miles a month - for 2 months or more, but this hardly equates to a dealership scamming you. It may simply mean the car you purchased wasnt in the best of condition..now if you find saw dust in the trans fluid, wire nuts in the O2 sensor leads or news paper & expanda foam stuffed in the wheel well liners, you may have gotten scammed!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,202 Posts
The tape and zip tie on the hose is a no pressure hose, so I can't see it having a hole, and if it did, would affect nothing. Maybe someone didn't like how it was mounted and wanted to fasten it tighter, and used the tape so the zip tie didn't cut into it. COuld be anything. I know people that used to cut heater hose, and put pieces of it over other hoses to keep them from rubbing, just because, no real reason.
Is this buyer's remorse? Has anyone compared it to their car and said that it definitely runs different than another comparable Challenger?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts