Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size spacer do I need when I widen me stock 18 x 7.5s to 10 inch?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
you need a adapter, not spacer.
If you are going 2.5 inches bigger.. then 1.25 inches (and probably even a few mm more because the stock wheels are too far sucked in to begin with)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Typically when they widen wheels they widen them on the inside. So if you're getting them 2.5" wider you'll need a 2.5" adapter to keep the same spacing from the suspension components. Too much if you ask me..

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Typically when they widen wheels they widen them on the inside. So if you're getting them 2.5" wider you'll need a 2.5" adapter to keep the same spacing from the suspension components. Too much if you ask me..

Yes, they are widened from the inside but no, you don't add the same size adapter. You go half (or some more mm's for aggressive fit). I have been doing this for 20 years.
This gives your widened wheel in a proper position in the wheel well. The positioning will be the same as if the OP purchased a brand new 18x10 wheel (with the same offset). There will be no suspension issues in the rear.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
raceheart yes I want to keep them in the wheel wheels as much as I can. but still clear the sway bars and such. I hoping someone that HAS done this will chime in with the correct size , so I do not have to play the guessing game and get several to get the correct ones! it is looking like the only tires with 28 inch tall are the nitto 555 G2 so that's what I am going buy at this time. I should have the wheels back in about 3 weeks and go from there.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yes, they are widened from the inside but no, you don't add the same size adapter. You go half (or some more mm's for aggressive fit). I have been doing this for 20 years.
This gives your widened wheel in a proper position in the wheel well. The positioning will be the same as if the OP purchased a brand new 18x10 wheel (with the same offset). There will be no suspension issues in the rear.
I did not know that. So if I've got a set of 19"x8.5" that I want to get widened to 10.5 I'd only need a 1" adapter to get the same clearance I had when they were before?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I did not know that. So if I've got a set of 19"x8.5" that I want to get widened to 10.5 I'd only need a 1" adapter to get the same clearance I had when they were before?

I am not sure what you mean as "same clearance as before". You are widening your wheels to 10.5" and probably going to put 295, 305 or 315 on it. Your tire will be closer against your inside wheel liner and outside fender lip. But no worries.

The 1" adapter (on a 2" widened wheel) will have your new wheel "center-line" in the same location as your 8.5 rim.
Only difference is that the new edge will sit 1 inch further out to the lip and 1 inch further inwards. (obviously, since you had it widened 2 inches)

What is your offset on your aftermarket 8.5 rim? 25 mm seems to be the exact center of the challenger rear wheel well. This is important to know before you proceed because now you are going to fit a fat tire back there.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am not sure what you mean as "same clearance as before". You are widening your wheels to 10.5" and probably going to put 295, 305 or 315 on it. Your tire will be closer against your inside wheel liner and outside fender lip. But no worries.

The 1" adapter (on a 2" widened wheel) will have your new wheel "center-line" in the same location as your 8.5 rim.
Only difference is that the new edge will sit 1 inch further out to the lip and 1 inch further inwards. (obviously, since you had it widened 2 inches)

What is your offset on your aftermarket 8.5 rim? 25 mm seems to be the exact center of the challenger rear wheel well. This is important to know before you proceed because now you are going to fit a fat tire back there.
"center-line" in the same location as the current 8.5 rim is what I was referring to with same clearance. I did realize the tire would sit 1" further inward and out. The offset of the 8.5's is 15mm. I'm looking to use these for autocross so not too worried about keeping them tucked in the fenders, more worried about clearance and fitting the biggest tire i can front and back. I'm currently running 285/35/19 front and back on 10" wheels but would like to go to 305 or 315. Been trying to sell the 8.5s because I have no use for them anymore but if I can get them widened and use them for the larger tires then that would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
"center-line" in the same location as the current 8.5 rim is what I was referring to with same clearance. I did realize the tire would sit 1" further inward and out. The offset of the 8.5's is 15mm. I'm looking to use these for autocross so not too worried about keeping them tucked in the fenders, more worried about clearance and fitting the biggest tire i can front and back. I'm currently running 285/35/19 front and back on 10" wheels but would like to go to 305 or 315. Been trying to sell the 8.5s because I have no use for them anymore but if I can get them widened and use them for the larger tires then that would be perfect.
Ok got it. You will be definitely sticking out from your lip at 15mm with the 1 inch adapter. You won't have issues on the insides for sure.
I think you may be better off with new wheels though... widening them with adapters will probably cost you as much (for a new cast wheel). It may be worth it if your wheels were forged.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes the cost is there, But for shows I what to retain the stock wheel look as the front ones, but add some meat underneath. I just want to have to correct spacers here when the wheels get back I am going with the Nitto or toyo 295/45/18's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts