Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a set of Alcoa wheels from a member for my 2012 Challenger RT. After extensive research there were many mixed results on whether or not the wheel would rub the front control arm. Some did some didn't. Unfortunately mine did.

So, if I wanted to run the wheels I would need to run a 3 or 5 mm spacer. At my wheel shop they said this was a bad idea as it would loosen my lug nuts rapidly, and I would only be able to get about 3 turns of the lug vs 7.

My question of course: is this true? I do not want to run an unsafe challenger and as they said "have a wheel fly off". So for those of you running spacers...or for those who know about spacers, are they a good idea or bad. Bear in mind my challenger is a daily driver year round.

Thanks much for all your help!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
320 Posts
Never heard that particular reason, though I have heard a lot of warnings against using them. Especially when I lifted my FJ cruiser I had to find the proper off set when I switched over to new rims and 35 inch tires. I was told that it was a lot easier to break the threaded section of the bolt since you moved the cg out from the spindle causing catastrophic failure. With the torq our challengers can put out I wouldn't risk it I'd find the proper fitment on rims first.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
To run a SRT wheel on a R/T vehicle you will need to run at least a 3MM Hubcentric spacer. You will have no issues with Lug Nuts. We can get them, just need to add them to our store real quick. Don't get the universal ones, hubcentric is the style you will want.

3MM is not big enough to cause any issues.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey, thanks for your response. Are you absolutely sure about this? What is the difference between universal and hubcentric? Will I still be able to get 7 turns of the lugs to ensure safety.

My wheels guys kinda scared the crap out of me lol

Also what is the cost of your spacers?

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Mikey, thanks for your response. Are you absolutely sure about this? What is the difference between universal and hubcentric? Will I still be able to get 7 turns of the lugs to ensure safety.

My wheels guys kinda scared the crap out of me lol

Also what is the cost of your spacers?

Yes sir. We have to run the same spacers on the R/T Classic cars that run BAER brakes. That particular car is daily driven and we took it up from South FL to Carlisle PA with no problems! I don't know about 7 turns, I always hand tighten then torque down the lug nuts, I can't say I have ever counted the turns to be honest. I know you will not lose 4 turns due to the 3 MM spacer that you will need to clear.

Universal spacers have many holes to be able to work on many different wheel hubs. Hub centric is exact fit to your wheel hub. Less of a chance of any problems happening.

Thanks
Mikey

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So completely safe for a daily driver? Do I need to check them periodically to make sure they haven't loosened? I just want to make sure nothing negative will happen to the car, if that's the case I will buy tonight. I really would love to have these alcoas on.

Thanks again, and anyone running spacers please chime in to let me know how that is going for you.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
So completely safe for a daily driver? Do I need to check them periodically to make sure they haven't loosened? I just want to make sure nothing negative will happen to the car, if that's the case I will buy tonight. I really would love to have these alcoas on.

Thanks again, and anyone running spacers please chime in to let me know how that is going for you.

Perfectly safe! :)

You shouldn't have to check them, I know our local customer does not, I don't believe he has even had his wheels off since last year at Carlisle either.
Thanks!
Mikey

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yah I would completely trust these guys I've talked to them on the phone a few times they know there stuff. Plus your not going to be taking your challenger off road any time soon I hope. The offsets I was comparing my experience with are much larger like 2 inches plus to get the wheel outside the body.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I just bought a set of 3mm spacers. :thumbsup:

I appreciate all the quick feedback, now I just need a wheel shop that will install them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts