Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spacers or fatter tires? Updated 7/19 help.

Hello everyone, I'm new so forgive me. I read about a 2 pages of different options before posting. Just got a new 14 RT. Can anyone tell me 1. If they make these exact rims but only wider for a bigger (fatter) tire? Don't wanna go off the 20"s and throw off speedo
2. Are there any safe acceptable spacers to get the wheels out just alitte?

What I really want probably is just those rims but wider and putting on something beefy :spineyes:
Spacers would kinda be last resort in my book.
If anyone has pictures of what they did that would also help. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Definitely fatter tires would be the way to go and be more beneficial. Spacers seem to be the new fad or something.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I want too. I just don't wanna replace all.4.rims. I'm hoping someone can ID these and see if they come wider.

·
Registered
373 Posts
they just the chrome clad wheels but painted black, 20x8.0 i believe. i don't think they come wider although there are places that can widen your wheels

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Could widen them or look at Factory Reproductions. They often have an offset pair so you could just order rear ones that are 20x9 or 10. On a 20x9 you could run a 275/40 tire and be fine and look much wider in the rear.

Alternatively a spacer could do the trick also...max I'd put back there without longer wheel studs would be 8mm. Or you can get an adapter that widens it. Bolts on and has studs on it that would accept your rim. I wouldn't race on these personally but I had ran an 8mm custom made wheel and hub centric spacer (so I could fit 315 rear tires on a stock SRT wheel widened to 10") for over a year and raced on it all the time. No issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow no one makes these in a 9 or 10? :disappointed:
What to do? I've never messed with getting wheels widen either. Seems kinda dumb I can't get these things in a bigger size.

Wait what is this.... where can I see more?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-DODGE-CH..._Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item485aa703e5&vxp=mtr

These are tech for the charger? Will they bolt right up to mine zero issues?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-inch-Cha..._Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item2c8094730b&vxp=mtr
Or these ^^^ CAN I RUN NITTOS 305 OR 315 ON THESE AND BOLT RIGHT UP ZERO ISSUES?

after looking up and editing this post several times I WANT to run the 305's on these 9inch rims. If this is possible? and safe.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dodge Challenger - Gloss Black - Factory Reproductions

20x9 Factory Reproduction. These are SRT replicas. These and ones you posted are made for Challengers. Chargers. 300s. All use same bolt pattern.

Again I'd suggest a 275 rear. A 315 possibly likely fit if you are not lowered but may rub and on a 9" wide wheel a 12.5" wide tire won't track very well. It looks ok but will wear funny.
Also note some 305-315 tires are oversized. Nittos run true to measurement and are what I use and suggest. Going from stock 245 on 8" to 275 on 9" puts another inch and change in tire on each side. Should satisfy what you are looking for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dodge Challenger - Gloss Black - Factory Reproductions

20x9 Factory Reproduction. These are SRT replicas. These and ones you posted are made for Challengers. Chargers. 300s. All use same bolt pattern.

Again I'd suggest a 275 rear. A 315 possibly likely fit if you are not lowered but may rub and on a 9" wide wheel a 12.5" wide tire won't track very well. It looks ok but will wear funny.
Also note some 305-315 tires are oversized. Nittos run true to measurement and are what I use and suggest. Going from stock 245 on 8" to 275 on 9" puts another inch and change in tire on each side. Should satisfy what you are looking for.

Thanks hemi you're answering everything I need. Hard to research on my phone. So now that I know I can simply bolt on another 20 wheel and wider. Even by an inch. I think running a 305 nitto would work at stock ride height and not bulge. ? I know others run big so the smaller for the 9 inch rim might be perefct? Besides a wider tire I want it to have an aggressive stance. Will the wheels also be placed out another inch with these or is the offset different with those rims you posted?

Another thought is running an oversized 275 on the 9 inch. Like a bf or mickey?
Again thanks for all the input with my lack of a pc currently.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not sure what RT wheel offset is stock vs these. Discount tire sells em and should be able to help. I'd think a 275 on the 9" would be good. If any of those are 10" then if you find a 295-305 that's correct height and not over 12.5" wide MIGHT fit. Unfortunately it's a bunch of trial n error unless you find an rt owner who has the specific setup you desire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what RT wheel offset is stock vs these. Discount tire sells em and should be able to help. I'd think a 275 on the 9" would be good. If any of those are 10" then if you find a 295-305 that's correct height and not over 12.5" wide MIGHT fit. Unfortunately it's a bunch of trial n error unless you find an rt owner who has the specific setup you desire.
Thanks again. I'm thinking I'll just go with a fat 275.
Now. If I'm still not satisfied with the look what's the biggest spacer I can run SAFELY and no work? 6-8 mm . ???

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thanks again. I'm thinking I'll just go with a fat 275.
Now. If I'm still not satisfied with the look what's the biggest spacer I can run SAFELY and no work? 6-8 mm . ???
I had some custom made 8mm ones that I can still get 6-7 turns on the lug nut with...that's about max...ran these with the stock wheels widened to 10" with 315 Nitto Invos. I am lowered 1" and did still rub when the car squats getting over 130 mph...they do push the wheels out a noticeable amount. 5mm ones can be used without question. I had a set up for sale that I gave to a local forum member when he was going through this same trial and error trying to get 315s on an RT. Not sure if he succeeded or not but he was using aftermarket wheels so as long as you have the correct offset it works.

I just got a set of Mickey Thomspon SC-5 in matte black that are lighter than stock and look AWESOME. Run a 315 in the back no problem. Front is 20x9 and pushes the wheel/tire out a few mm for a more flush look and then in the rear it's 20x10.5" and pushes it outward for the flush look...as good as it gets if you ask me. Just put them on a couple weeks ago and now plan to get a HellCat so may be selling them soon. They cost me $1140 shipped to me. Not bad. No good photos yet though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the planned set up is gonna be 275s bfg with billets 3mm spacer ?
Should be perfect for daily driving and some aggressive weekend play ?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I think the planned set up is gonna be 275s bfg with billets 3mm spacer ?
Should be perfect for daily driving and some aggressive weekend play ?
Yes, will fit well on 9" wheel and no chance of rubbing anything either. I don't think a 3mm spacer in back will make a visible difference...if you are buying one anyway get a hubcentric 5mm to at most 8mm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I know Hemi i'm so torn and hate spending money on guessing.
What about these spacers? Might make the small difference i'm looking for (wheels at least flush with the wheel well.) I don't know i'm I can still run this setup safely? Or just run a 295 or 305 tire.

Safest would be the 6mm spacer I'm guessing with a 275 tire on the replica's???

UPR Hub Centric Wheel Spacers 05-14 Challenger, Charger, Magnum, 300

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah I know Hemi i'm so torn and hate spending money on guessing.
What about these spacers? Might make the small difference i'm looking for (wheels at least flush with the wheel well.) I don't know i'm I can still run this setup safely? Or just run a 295 or 305 tire.

Safest would be the 6mm spacer I'm guessing with a 275 tire on the replica's???

UPR Hub Centric Wheel Spacers 05-14 Challenger, Charger, Magnum, 300

I've already done the trial and error for you... :)

I had SRT wheels, 9" and 8mm spacers with 275s. Fit was great...near flush/wide stance. So, in your shoes I'd do replica wheels with 6mm spacer and 275s and be great. Just make sure after install check your lug tightness at 100 miles and then again at 500 miles. With a small spacer like that and being hub centric you won't have vibration or anything. Should all be good for daily driving and spirited driving. And you don't HAVE to have the spacers at all. FYI most of time going to tire/wheel shops they will tell you they WON'T work on your setup due to "dangerous spacers" but the problem is, the danger they are referring to are people buying cheap $8 a pair universal cheap-o spacers that break or expand when heated OR they can't even get 6-8 turns on the lug nut. You should be able to get 7-8 with those and be safe assuming the wheel studs on SRT and RT are the same which I'd imagine they are.

Although, just playing devils advocate - instead of spending $$$ on replica wheels if you are buying wheels anyway get a set with different offset that will fit a 275-315 rear... Check out the Mickey Thompson SC-5 wheels in matte black...I got them and LOVE the look...lighter so car is faster and offset allows me to run 315 rear and stock size front for a NICE stagger. AND no spacers at all! No rub and I am lowed 1" so 1.5" inches below RT height. Cost me under $1200 shipped to my door...getting 4 replicas won't be much less! Not to mention could sell your stock wheels for a bit of return. Just food for thought... :wink2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already done the trial and error for you... :)

I had SRT wheels, 9" and 8mm spacers with 275s. Fit was great...near flush/wide stance. So, in your shoes I'd do replica wheels with 6mm spacer and 275s and be great. Just make sure after install check your lug tightness at 100 miles and then again at 500 miles. With a small spacer like that and being hub centric you won't have vibration or anything. Should all be good for daily driving and spirited driving. And you don't HAVE to have the spacers at all. FYI most of time going to tire/wheel shops they will tell you they WON'T work on your setup due to "dangerous spacers" but the problem is, the danger they are referring to are people buying cheap $8 a pair universal cheap-o spacers that break or expand when heated OR they can't even get 6-8 turns on the lug nut. You should be able to get 7-8 with those and be safe assuming the wheel studs on SRT and RT are the same which I'd imagine they are.

Although, just playing devils advocate - instead of spending $$$ on replica wheels if you are buying wheels anyway get a set with different offset that will fit a 275-315 rear... Check out the Mickey Thompson SC-5 wheels in matte black...I got them and LOVE the look...lighter so car is faster and offset allows me to run 315 rear and stock size front for a NICE stagger. AND no spacers at all! No rub and I am lowed 1" so 1.5" inches below RT height. Cost me under $1200 shipped to my door...getting 4 replicas won't be much less! Not to mention could sell your stock wheels for a bit of return. Just food for thought... :wink2:
Gosh darn it HEMI with all these options :lol: BUT now I have more questions.

1. I checked out those tires you posted, the mickey 20X10.5 and they look awesome, I can't tell the difference between whats on there now. Are they noticeable on the car? As in I'd have to replace all 4 rims or just the rears? I was trying to keep the front stockers.

2. What size tire would I need to not F up the speedo or anything like that. There isn't really a 315/40r20 so it'd have to be bigger or smaller like 315/35 correct? Won't mess up the speedo? And I could run something the wide in the rear no rubbing issues?

I would love to just buy the two rear rims and throw on 305's or 315/s
Thanks again man.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Gosh darn it HEMI with all these options :lol: BUT now I have more questions.

1. I checked out those tires you posted, the mickey 20X10.5 and they look awesome, I can't tell the difference between whats on there now. Are they noticeable on the car? As in I'd have to replace all 4 rims or just the rears? I was trying to keep the front stockers.

They look kinda similar to stockers but are several lbs lighter...also 5 spoke but different shape to them. If you want to go this route I'd replace all 4...look similar in photos but in person it would look pretty bad to have those on back and stock set front.

2. What size tire would I need to not F up the speedo or anything like that. There isn't really a 315/40r20 so it'd have to be bigger or smaller like 315/35 correct? Won't mess up the speedo? And I could run something the wide in the rear no rubbing issues?

255/45R20 is 28.9" tall and 315/35R20 is usually 28.6" tall so about 1% variance in speedo...meaning 100mph is 99mph. Not a big deal. I have 315/35 Nittos on my car with those same wheels and NO rub...with stock wheels widened to 10" it rubbed unless I had 8mm spacer and even then still rubs a bit at 130+ mph. Again I''m also lowered 1" putting me 1.5" lower than a stock height RT so you should be fine. A 295/40 would also work, these are 1% taller than stock. Not many options in this size. Need to be cautious though, 305-315 sizes from Michelin and some other tire manuf run WIDER than true size. I stick with Nitto personally.

I would love to just buy the two rear rims and throw on 305's or 315/s

In this case if you are dead set on just getting 2 then you need to get the matching replicas in 9" and run those with a 275. If after that you want more width in your rear stance then order those spacers you put the link to and push em out a bit.

Thanks again man.

Happy to help!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Alright so now I see they only offer the fronts 20x9.

Will they require a spacer? What's the recommend smallest I can go on a 9? 255, 265?

also, which Nitto tire have you had success with?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Alright so now I see they only offer the fronts 20x9.

Will they require a spacer? What's the recommend smallest I can go on a 9? 255, 265?

also, which Nitto tire have you had success with?
Yes the front on SRT is 20x9 but the site indicates for ALL Challengers so you can run it.
On the front I run the stock size 245/45R20. No spacer. Since you are not lowered could do 255/45 also for a tiny bit larger (10mm wider and 9mm taller not much) 245/45 is 28.7" tall x9.7" wide and 255/45 is 29"x10" -personally I just stuck with the 245/45 on mine.

Nitto Invo would be your best choice in something you daily drive as well as drive hard sometimes. Good all around tire.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts