Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2019 AWD Challenger and this morning had no choice but to hit a very large rock that fell from the mountain side. It bent my rim and of course slit a 6 inch gash in my tire.
I was wondering if it would be better to put the spare on the front or back? It is NOT a full size spare and I am concerned about handling issues, as I have to get down the mountain AND it is snowing.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
208 Posts
The problems with putting on a non-full diameter spare.........Putting the spare on the front will cause steering pull and braking pull resulting in handling issues. Putting the spare on the rear will be o.k. if you have an open rear differential but you'll still get braking pull. With an anti-spin rear diff it can cause a problem within the diff, as well as braking pull.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,588 Posts
Front, you want the crappiest up front, that makes it harder to stop and steer, but if/when it goes wrong you will still be pointing the right direction. With crappy traction out back you spin...

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I second that. Put it on the front. Go slow and be really careful. If you lose the back end, you have lost control of the vehicle.

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would put the crappy spare on the rear. The front has way more weight already on it and it does a larger portion of your braking and all of your steering.

You're going to be going slow so there's not much risk of sliding losing the rear by just having one bad spare tire.

Your most important aspect of going down hill in the snow is your steering and braking which the front does most of.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I would put the crappy spare on the rear. The front has way more weight already on it and it does a larger portion of your braking and all of your steering.

You're going to be going slow so there's not much risk of sliding losing the rear by just having one bad spare tire.

Your most important aspect of going down hill in the snow is your steering and braking which the front does most of.
Not to be disagreeable but the front end does not do all of the steering. Braking, controlled slides (drifting!) and rear traction all affect steering. I agree, the front has most of the weight on it and that's why I think it would be more forgiving of a compromised tire. If you can't keep it straight, you can't pilot it. IMO.

·
Registered
15,908 Posts

Totally agree. It's really not even a debate. Put the spare on the rear always. Especially with a car already low in the front. And even with a limited slip you will not hurt a thing getting to a place to get your flat fixed. Dodge has no problem at all with temp spares on the rear of LSD Challengers, been like that since day one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,698 Posts
Generally with cars fitted from the factory with a space saver spare tire the owners manual calls for the spare tire to be put on the front and move the good front tire to the rear. This suggests to me the concern is having too much difference in tire diameter on the rear axle which can "stress" the diff.

And to keep the speed down.

Chances are too the space saver tires is under inflated. So the first gas station you come to you need to check and set the tire pressure.

Might mention if one has elected to carry a space saver spare with a car that didn't come with one even as an option there may be a problem with the wheel speed sensors even with the spare tire mounted on the front axle.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Generally with cars fitted from the factory with a space saver spare tire the owners manual calls for the spare tire to be put on the front and move the good front tire to the rear. This suggests to me the concern is having too much difference in tire diameter on the rear axle which can "stress" the diff.

Chances are too the space saver tires is under inflated. So the first gas station you come to you need to check and set the tire pressure.

Might mention if one has elected to carry a space saver spare with a car that didn't come with one even as an option there may be a problem with the wheel speed sensors even with the spare tire mounted on the front axle.
That's only on FWD vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts

Some good advice here for sure.

My 2016 Challenger did not come with a spare donut tire because I have the HK stereo system. I did buy a donut spare that is 18" in diameter, and I've used it 3 times now.

You are correct in they are underinflated. By a bunch! Mine was at 16 PSI, when it should be at 60 PSI.

I have only used it on the front of my car, but the diameter difference of my donut spare and my stock 20" wheels is only 1". I never had any speed sensor problems, but my car is an SXT+. Maybe this might be an issue with the V-8's?

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Some good advice here for sure.

My 2016 Challenger did not come with a spare donut tire because I have the HK stereo system. I did buy a donut spare that is 18" in diameter, and I've used it 3 times now.

You are correct in they are underinflated. By a bunch! Mine was at 16 PSI, when it should be at 60 PSI.

I have only used it on the front of my car, but the diameter difference of my donut spare and my stock 20" wheels is only 1". I never had any speed sensor problems, but my car is an SXT+. Maybe this might be an issue with the V-8's?
Where did you buy your spare? How much? I have the HK as well and looking at "back up" options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts