Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

does anybody know if the internals of the stock '09 6speed differential can be purchased somewhere?

My rear diff is nearly gone. It overheated last year on the racetrack with boiling oil and since then the diff doesn't really work anymore. When doing a tight corner it feels like a locked straight axle.

Mikey from BMC offered me a complete new diff but I'm looking for a cheaper way to fix it - if possible.

The '09 6speed have the upgraded 3.92 diff with the 226mm axles.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I'm not quite sure but just a thought have you spoken with the Mercedes shop over there they may have a solution or the parts. I'll speak with my guy to see if he has info that would be of use. Sorry to see you down. :(

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Dang, that's painful just looking at ... sorry to hear the failure too. I'm interested in what you find out since I plan on doing more track driving in the near future.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested as well. I assume this happened on a road course?
watch the first youtube link in my signature.
that was the track. I happened 3-4 laps after this recording which was my warmup lap

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
That's some nice driving. Serious speed for not having on a helmet haha.

Winding out 4th and hitting 5th is on up there.

I'm surprised the car has locked up the diff. Usually when the clutches go you just get one wheel peel.

I think you'll need a beefed up diff for that type of driving. Getting on it hard exiting turns will give those clutches a workout.

I've got a Detroit TrueTrac in my 4Runner's rear diff. It uses gears instead of clutches. Somewhere a while back on this forum I saw someone post up they were using something similar in their Challenger. I can't remember who posted it. Maybe RichSRT8?

·
Registered
287 Posts
HERE'S a site that has upgraded clutches and instructions on how to rebuild a Getrag.

Brad

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I'm fairly confident Dodge does not sell replacement parts for the differential...you have to purchase the entire diff. They're approx. $2K now, and you can do a bit better than that with some discounts.

If you could find the parts that comprise the diff, then you could likely source them from the suppliers but that sounds easier than it is.

Good luck, lukester.

HemiSam

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts