Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm trying to get the deal finalized on my Challenger. My local dealer is doing a locate for me because we have no 6-speed sticks around here.

The one I wanted to purchase was sold, so the new one has a spare tire delete. It's a whole $75 credit. Big whoop! I am very nervous about getting an air compressor and can of goo vs a real tire in case of a flat.

Does anyone have experience with this setup, and would they care to express their opinion?

Worst case, I could request the dealer swap the tire delete with a spare from something on his lot I guess. Is it that simple? Are the spares true full size tires or donuts?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wouldn't let the lack of a spare scare me too much. The last 3 cars I have had didn't come with a spare (G8 Gt, Vette, and the Chellenger SRT). I had to use the fix a flat once on a G8 after hitting a curb, however the wheel got bent so I had to ultimately replace it. But the goo held together long enough to take it to the shop. Also, don't forget, if you have road side assistance, you can always have them come out if the fix a flat doesn't work

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Buy a spare and jack from a salvage yard. They aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can tell you this, the spares aren't full sized. I don't have mine yet, but from what I have seen listed, they are donuts. They are listed as "compact spare tire".

I wouldnt let this effect the deal at all. You could certainly request he pulls one from another vehicle, but if not just purchase a spare to put in your truck and carry around that you can use to replace a flat temporarily. No big deal.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Get a spare, the 09 did NOT come with a spare, you had to order it for 100.00. About a year later i had the dealer order a spare because we were going on a trip, 500.00. Month later traded 09 for 10 with all the options i really wanted.

If you go on dodges website you can find your own challenger, dont wait for the dealer to do it. I bought my 10 challenger and 10 jeep after I found it myself on the dodge website, site each car/jeep has the sticker. Told the dealer where to get the car from, and then asked about the price.

Put in your zip and search for 200 miles, if you dont find what you like, get a US map, and start drawing 200 circles around citys and use their zip..it doesnt matter.

It really comes down will THAT dealer TRADE with YOUR dealer. Not all of them do. Get you want and dont compromise, and dont let the dealer try and fool you otherwise.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The TPS says don't use that fix a flat stuff thru them. I would see if the dealer would do what you said and trade you a spare off the lot for the $75. I think it's going to cost you more than that to get one. you have road side assistance for a while and you can use it. Like already said they are baby spares.

You are talking about a SE or RT aren't you. The normal spare won't work on a SRT.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wanted a spare tire, so I asked the dealer to throw one in with the deal. I thought it was a $75 deal because the credit was $75. They let me keep the air compressor and ordered the parts for the spare tire "kit". They weren't able to rob one from another car. The kit includes the spare tire, jack, tire iron, and mounting hardware for the tire. I recently used the jack when I installed the rear spash guards. My floor jack won't fit in the jacking "notches" without some adapter, etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I carry an extra compressor and 3 fix a flat cans and a tire plug kit as well so unless I get a sidewall gash I think I will be ok

·
Registered
248 Posts
I dont have a spare tire in my 09 RT. At first that worried me but then I just got roadside assistance if I need to fix a flat on my challenger. I test drove a Camaro SS for the heck of it over holiday break and noticed that they dont have a spare either in their cars

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I will have to look on eBay. But truth be told I'm not a fan of donuts either, so I may just opt to find a cheap steel wheel and used (but good) tire so that I can have a full size spare on tap if I need it. Until then I will take advantage of the flat repair kit and free 3yr/36k roadside assistance.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I just carry one of these:

I don't plan to use the goo, just the air compressor. If the tire is damaged beyond repair, I'll call the road service (think lots of A's).

If I could have ordered a spare when I got my car, I would have. It wasn't an available option when I ordered my car.

·
Registered
710 Posts
This has got to be one of the dumbist things manufacturers have done. If you get a slash in a tire alot of good a compressor with tire goo is going to do. Just for piece if mind I made sure I had a spare.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This has got to be one of the dumbist things manufacturers have done. If you get a slash in a tire alot of good a compressor with tire goo is going to do. Just for piece if mind I make sure I had a spare.
I 100% agree!!! The lack of a spare was a deal killer for me a few years ago when I was considering a Crossfire. I know, I know, Vettes, the new Miatas, and some other sports cars are going with goo and compressor. You can also read some horror stories of hitting potholes and bursting the sidewalls like someone else mentioned. Then what? You're stranded, and you may or may not easily be able to find the tire you need.

My advice, get the spare, and keep an eye on your tire pressures. This is easy with the EVIC, although I think their pressure numbers are a little high, it's still a good reference point.

Especially with the 20" wheel/tire option, there just isn't a large volume of air in these tires. Air bleeds out (slowly) under the best of circumstances. Let these tires get low on air, hit a pothole, and you not only get to replace the tire, you get to replace the wheel, too. Not to mention the inconvenience of being on the side of the road, if you don't have a spare.

My 2 cents.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with everyone else....DUMB DUMB DUMB idea, regardless of the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure no one cares about the $75 or the added weight. If you are racing at the track, you take it out. Duh!

On the idea of getting a full size replacement, I was looking on eBay. Looks like I can find a factory 18" RT rim for around $100. I'm sure I could grab a used tire for $25-50 here locally and be in for $150. Or there is another eBay auction with factory wheel and tire for $250.

Originally I was thinking cheap $25 steel wheel with used tire and be out for $100 or less and have full size. But doing some reading I'm not sure a basic steel rim would do the trick. I *think* you have to go with the police style rims, which are kind of pricey...at least on eBay. Hoping someone can confirm. I'm not overly worried about looks as a spare is to get you home or to a shop until a replacement can be purchased.

Factory OE 18" Dodge Challenger Wheel Rim 2359 - eBay (item 290523067546 end time Feb-13-11 09:32:36 PST)

One 09-10 Dodge Challenger Factory 18 Wheel Tire OE Rim - eBay (item 390271545193 end time Feb-10-11 19:18:13 PST)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Be careful about a full size rim/spare, I don't think it will fit in the spare compartment without the cover sticking up. When I was researching the idea I was originally going to do the full size spare but was told it wouldn't fit properly, but didn't actually try. Ebay purchase came with never mounted tire/rim, jack, wrench and hold down all for $125

1 - 17 of 17 Posts