Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 RT did not come with a spare. I have been looking at the spare tire kit on Performance Spare and it said that their spare tire will only work on the rear and if a flat occurs on the front tire a tire from the rear would have to be moved to the front and the spare installed on the rear. The wheels are 20"x8". Are there any spare tire kits available that can be used on the front and rear?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Modern spare has a kit that includes a spacer for the front for an extra cost. That will be my next purchase after I start making the actual car payments.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Unless your 2019 R/T has the Performance Handling Group with the Brembo brakes that Modern or Performance spare will fit on the fronts no problem, even a junkyard spare from an SXT or Charger will fit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the widebody with the big Brembo's. That is why i mentioned the optional spacer I know I will be getting for my setup. I guess you can't assume everyone has the same setup.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the widebody with the big Brembo's. That is why i mentioned the optional spacer I know I will be getting for my setup. I guess you can't assume everyone has the same setup.

Do you have the 2019 RT Scat Pack Wide Body Challenger? What color are your Brembo's? The optional Red colored ones or are they the standard Black colored ones?

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
Factory spare on my front with spacer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
Unless you have an open rear differential you need both rear tires to have the same size tires or you’ll damage the rear. So you need a spacer and have to put the spare on the front. Anyone with staggered tires has a problem if a rear tire goes flat.
This is the big reason why that on the rare occasion my car leaves the garage it doesn’t go far from home. It takes away a lot of the enjoyment and most likely with only 12,000 miles on it in 7 years of ownership will make it a nice 25th birthday(this September) gift to my son. It only went 349 miles in the last year.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Unless you have an open rear differential you need both rear tires to have the same size tires or you’ll damage the rear.
Modern Spare has addressed this . . .

My vehicle has a limited slip differential, will using the spare damage my car?

-No, it will not. There are many performance vehicles that come from the factory with both a limited slip differential (LSD) and a spare tire. As a general rule of thumb, a spare tire needs to have a diameter that is at least 85% of the diameter of the vehicles other tires.

At minimum, our products have a spare tire diameter that is 92% of the OEM tire diameter with many of our kits having a 95% + diameter relation to the OEM tire size.

Thus, you can be confident that any Modern Spare product will be well within the safe use range for your vehicle.

And the R/T with M6 has a factory spare available so FCA must not be too concerned either.

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
Modern Spare has addressed this . . .

My vehicle has a limited slip differential, will using the spare damage my car?

-No, it will not. There are many performance vehicles that come from the factory with both a limited slip differential (LSD) and a spare tire. As a general rule of thumb, a spare tire needs to have a diameter that is at least 85% of the diameter of the vehicles other tires.

At minimum, our products have a spare tire diameter that is 92% of the OEM tire diameter with many of our kits having a 95% + diameter relation to the OEM tire size.

Thus, you can be confident that any Modern Spare product will be well within the safe use range for your vehicle.

And the R/T with M6 has a factory spare available so FCA must not be too concerned either.

If you’re under warranty it’s up to if Chrysler will cover the failure and if out of warranty I sure as sh*t am not going to eat the cost unless this spare seller offers a guarantee of free rear repair should it fail after using this spare. The only proper way is to carry a full rear size matching spare for just in case. If you’re a considerable distance from home and get a flat it’s not the same as if your flat occurs say within five miles to get home. The two tires will roll hundreds of revolutions differently from each other and it does have an effect.

Clint

Reactions: jzink0883

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you have the 2019 RT Scat Pack Wide Body Challenger? What color are your Brembo's? The optional Red colored ones or are they the standard Black colored ones?
I went with the standard black calipers since my car is Plum Crazy Purple. I have a highly optioned car but red calipers do not contribute to anything other then looks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you’re under warranty it’s up to if Chrysler will cover the failure and if out of warranty I sure as sh*t am not going to eat the cost unless this spare seller offers a guarantee of free rear repair should it fail after using this spare. The only proper way is to carry a full rear size matching spare for just in case. If you’re a considerable distance from home and get a flat it’s not the same as if your flat occurs say within five miles to get home. The two tires will roll hundreds of revolutions differently from each other and it does have an effect.

Clint
In my case my 2019 widebody came with no spare at all. This car is not my daily driver and will normally only be driven around town unless I take a trip. For short distance running I would have no issue installing a slightly smaller spare to get the car out of traffic and possibly home if I am within 30 miles or so. If I do end up taking it on a long trip I will swap out carrying the modern spare for a full size factory style tire if it fits over the Brembo's. I also have AAA, and a truck and car trailer, so I think I am covered. I just do not want to leave my car on the side of the road in traffic. I've had to limp several cars home so I have lots of experience in that part.

·
Registered
218 Posts
In the event of a flat, you will need space to carry the flat full-size tire. Why not make space for a full-size spare?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts