Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Challenger did not come with the spare tire kit so I tried to purchase one at the dealer and to my surprise you can only get the kit if you order it with the car! Does anyone know for certain if a kit from a RWD Challenger will fit the GT?

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
The non-Brembo equipped models (SXT, R/T, GT) have the option of the spare tire, so this will fit the GT model as well.

As long as you don't have the Performane Audio (Harmon Kardon) - the subs are in the tire well, which precludes stowing the spare tire there.

Its an 18" compact spare tire that also includes the jack as well. It was an extra-cost option in the early years, then became standard and since the '15s, reverted back to an extra cost option.

·
Registered
47 Posts
be warned.. another GT owner put a spare on and had his car go into limp mode due to the AWD - not sure if the diameter screwed with the AWD system - or / and the TPMS screwed with it. ~d

·
Registered
47 Posts
also .. if I remember correctly the wheel offset is different on the GT - so if you think you'll cheat and use a full sized rim from another challenger it will look different and may even rub the wheel well - but don't quote me on that... research before you buy... or maybe someone who knows will chime in. ~d

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Generally, you'd want to put the temp spare on the front axle - the diameter difference between the OEM 20" tires and the compact spare would have the differential working at different rates between L <-> R sides if the spare were installed on rear axle.

For the limited slip diffs, this would put a lot of wear on the clutches.

Mainly, a spare would be able to have mobility to get off the road to get a tire repaired or replaced, rather than run long distances on it. Plus they're limited to 50mph speeds.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,564 Posts
Generally, you'd want to put the temp spare on the front axle - the diameter difference between the OEM 20" tires and the compact spare would have the differential working at different rates between L <-> R sides if the spare were installed on rear axle.

For the limited slip diffs, this would put a lot of wear on the clutches.

Mainly, a spare would be able to have mobility to get off the road to get a tire repaired or replaced, rather than run long distances on it. Plus they're limited to 50mph speeds.
Never ceases to amaze me that when I see a vehicle with a spare tire (usually the small donut) it is on the wrong axle. Either people are lazy or they don't know the fundamentals of how automotive differentials/transaxles work.

Oh geez, even the wikipedia page on donut tires shows an example of where not to put the spare (i.e. frontwheel drives should have donut mounted in the rear).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spare_tire#/media/File:Donut_tire.JPG

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Better on the front for a RWD but what about the GT with AWD? No limited slip on GT so probably better to put it on the rear.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me that when I see a vehicle with a spare tire (usually the small donut) it is on the wrong axle. Either people are lazy or they don't know the fundamentals of how automotive differentials/transaxles work.

Oh geez, even the wikipedia page on donut tires shows an example of where not to put the spare (i.e. frontwheel drives should have donut mounted in the rear).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spare_tire#/media/File:Donut_tire.JPG
Here in Oregon - I've seen a number of FWD cars (that only come in that config) with snow chains on the rear tires...that's the general public for you.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,564 Posts
Better on the front for a RWD but what about the GT with AWD? No limited slip on GT so probably better to put it on the rear.

AWD vehicles should come equipped with a fullsized spare or a spare that matches the tire diameter. If it does not, then that is a oversight by the vehicle manufacturer. :fight: In this day and age, I have seen people drive on a spare for weeks...even months. Having the incorrect tire sizes on one axle of an AWD car produces unnecessary loading wear on the transfer case and diffs.

https://youtu.be/RGvrmltfMrA :browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Just an FYI,

I measured the diameter of my donut spare, and it's 1 inch smaller than the wheels on my car.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
It's definitely better to be the same size but guess Dodge feels for temporary use it's not a big deal, you can get the factory spare which is a 145/80-18 on an M6 R/T with limited slip and no restrictions on where you can put it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to the dealer yesterday and inquired about the spare tire/AWD dilemma and was told that you should not run a compact spare on the GT. Being that I do not want to jeopardize my warranty I believe the only course of action would be to only use the GT specific spare tire. I wonder if an inch difference would allow the car to be driven for a short distance without damaging the AWD.
Thank you all for the information!

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday and inquired about the spare tire/AWD dilemma and was told that you should not run a compact spare on the GT. Being that I do not want to jeopardize my warranty I believe the only course of action would be to only use the GT specific spare tire. I wonder if an inch difference would allow the car to be driven for a short distance without damaging the AWD.
Thank you all for the information!
GT specific spare?

Stock temp spare tire is a 145/80-18 and didn't think anything taller would even fit in the spare tire well.

So does the GT have a different spare?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,564 Posts
GT specific spare?

Stock temp spare tire is a 145/80-18 and didn't think anything taller would even fit in the spare tire well.

So does the GT have a different spare?

After doing some GT vin look-ups, it looks like the GT comes standard with the "spare tire mobility kit" with an optional "compact spare". Although, the compact spare could have the correct diameter just narrow width which would be the best way to go.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Dumb question, but do none of the Brembo equipped cars come with spares from the factory?
That's correct - been that way since the '08 Challenger SRT models appeared - they only came with the TireFit system with the inflator pump and fix-a-flat sealant.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts