Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owned a car without a spare tire before. I havs a 2019 SXT plus

Should I have a couple of cans of fix a flat? Is there something better? I have the factory inflator.

opinions...I am taking a 1200ish mile round trip to New orleans, should I buy a spare for the trip? or just go with the fix a flat, inflator and cell phone? Made the same trip 4 times in other cars and never had a flat, but the SOB Murphy is always lurking.

thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Tire plug kit.

DeWFPo (I know Murphy all too well :))

·
Registered
2021 RT 5.7 M6 TORED
115 Posts
when i ordered my 2021 shaker RT the spare was a $500 option. somewhere on this forum talk about aftermarket spares perhaps search. also tirerack.com and amazon sells them. If i upgraded my stereo the spare was removed and space filled with amps and woofers+ a can of fix-a-flat. get an after market kit

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The factory compressor has an integrated sealant tank. I'd not worry about fix-a-flat. I would get a good plug kit however. I like the ARB kit.
Set tool Tool Metalworking Drill accessories Metalworking hand tool

Reactions: Ashoka and Carbide

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts

Should I have a couple of cans of fix a flat? Is there something better? I have the factory inflator.

opinions...I am taking a 1200ish mile round trip to New orleans, should I buy a spare for the trip? or just go with the fix a flat, inflator and cell phone? Made the same trip 4 times in other cars and never had a flat, but the SOB Murphy is always lurking.

thanks for any advice

I second the recommendations to get a good plug kit over a can of Fix-A-Flat.

For longer trips ... I bought a Modern Spare - Challenger kit for peace of mind. My concern also is that the dang Murphy guy would try to tag along and I'd end up with a problem in the mountains with no cell service .... at night .... in the rain.

Reactions: Ashoka

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I second the recommendations to get a good plug kit over a can of Fix-A-Flat.

For longer trips ... I bought a Modern Spare - Challenger kit for peace of mind. My concern also is that the dang Murphy guy would try to tag along and I'd end up with a problem in the mountains with no cell service .... at night .... in the rain.
A backup plug kit still comes into play when you are packing a spare tire. That spare is only good for one flat at a time.

I seem to get flat tires in groups....:p

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The spare tire recess is still in there I believe. Saw one guy mod that space back to a full size spare.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The spare tire recess is still in there I believe. Saw one guy mod that space back to a full size spare.
That space is used up if you have a Harmon Kardon sub.
Of course not everyone that has one likes it and it can certainly be removed. Ironically it is held in with the same stuff that secures the spare tire.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
plug kit is great advice Duh I should have thought of that...thanks. Had no idea the factory compressor had sealer...probably should have looked at the damn thing before asking Duh again.

Thanks for the replies...I think I'll get a good plug kit, and make sure the sealer is good on the compressor, maybe get an extra just in case, and go for it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
A backup plug kit still comes into play when you are packing a spare tire. That spare is only good for one flat at a time.

I seem to get flat tires in groups....:p
That's that dang Murphy guy again!

And, yes, I have a plug kit as well. Rather I did until I loaned it to a buddy a few weeks ago.

Reactions: cruiserdan

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Plugs kits are great, but as a stand alone in the trunk of the car, wont do much if any good if by the time you detect the issue, the tire is flat or loosing air rapidly.
You'll also need a source of air.
The tiny cigarette lighter plug in compressor units "work" (sorta), but take literally forever and are prone to overheating/sudden death and psi are normally pretty weak. If you are on the side of the freeway, in bad weather or at night in a low vis area, its going to take a brave soul to plug & w a i t for the air refill, while 18 wheelers are zipping by at 70mph, 4 or 5 feet away.
I carry a Large (truck size) can of fix-a-flat for rapidly getting back in motion, in addition to the onboard inflation kit.
I have plug kits at home, as well as extra (seasonal) wheel sets that could be used in the event the car can be safely temp parked until I can come back and do the roadside tire swap out.
I'd rather do that if possible, as any tire inflat/sealant will ruin the tire they are used on.
AAA roadside also on board, if all else fails.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Check your local Craig's List for a OEM spare or post a want Ad under both whees/tires and auto parts sections of C/L. Also check salvage yards. There are plenty of late model Challengers, Chargers and Chrysler 300's around them. I've bought spares from both methods. One used for $75 and a brand new one for $100. I also carry one of the smaller aluminum floor jacks since I don't trust those scissor ones. Really sad that FCA jacks up the car prices and leaves out an important safety feature. I know, they did it to save weight and placate the EPA for some irrelevent imaginary CAFE standard. Still a sorry thing to do.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Plug kits and "fix a flat" don't help with a sidewall puncture or a blowout.

Um really ?? Duck tape for the blow out, sidewalls can be pluged and HAVE been since 1978 !!!

Mind U thes are just TEMP fixed till new tire can be fitted, cause nothing sucks like changing a tire in bad weather. NEVER, EVER had a tire issue sunny and 75 !!!!

JUST pulled my spare down in the Ram for the winter, TOO many frozen cable spools and tire WILL not come down !!!

Safety Seal is the ORGINAL plug company and still the best IMOP.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts

thanks for any advice
Doesn't your car come with a air compressor which accepts a canister of tire sealant? My 2018 Hellcat did and I think my 2020 Scat Pack has this too, but I have not bothered to check.

That air compressor/tire sealer kit works pretty good in my experience.

Got a low tire pressure warning (28psi I think) at a light. Driver side rear tire. Thought I'd drive the car to a nearby tire store. But the tire was losing pressure too fast so when the light changed I pulled into a convenient parking lot.

Got the air compressor/tire sealer kit out of the trunk and with the instructions from the owners manual used it to seal the leak in the tire. Inflated the tire to around 40psi to buy me some margin if the tire continued to leak.

While I was waiting for the compressor to inflate the tire -- it ran some minutes before the tire pressure started to go up -- BTW I had the car engine idling -- I called a nearby dealer who had suitable tires in stock. When the tire was inflated I packed (read tossed) everything in the trunk then drove to the dealer. The tire didn't lose any pressure in the 4 miles to the dealer.

While new tires were being put on the car I bought a replacement canister of tire sealant from the dealer parts department.

'course I was "lucky" the hole was not in the sidewall. I was careful to not drive the tire underinflated.

Much better to have a full size spare -- my other vehicle, my M-B van, has a full size spare -- but the Hellcat just doesn't have the room for a full size spare short of maybe managing to stuff one in the trunk -- which means there is no room for anything else in the trunk -- or wrestle a spare tire into the rear seat of the car assuming one will even fit. But who wants to drive around in a Hellcat or even my Scat Pack (any car really) with a spare tire in the rear seat?

While my van does have a full size spare I have a jug of Tire Slime and a portable electric air compressor which can run from an A/C wall outlet or from the van's 12V power outlet in the van. In the event of a flat I'll try the Tire Slime first to save me having the deal with the work involved to swap the flat tire with the full sized spare tire.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I know I'm leaving myself open to some jokes here, but I have never been able to install a tire plug without lube. I can ream away, but the plug still doesn't go in.

Having said that, I have only bought the cheap tires plug kits, so maybe that's my problem? If you do buy a kit with lube, once you open the tube it starts evaporating. The tube will magically be empty a year later.

For the record, in my younger stupid years, I plugged a tire just outside the last row of tread. I did get another 6 months out of it. The sidewall started to bulge. Then I realized that I should have gotten a new tire right away. :oops:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I know I'm leaving myself open to some jokes here, but I have never been able to install a tire plug without lube. I can ream away, but the plug still doesn't go in.

Having said that, I have only bought the cheap tires plug kits, so maybe that's my problem? If you do buy a kit with lube, once you open the tube it starts evaporating. The tube will magically be empty a year later.

For the record, in my younger stupid years, I plugged a tire just outside the last row of tread. I did get another 6 months out of it. The sidewall started to bulge. Then I realized that I should have gotten a new tire right away. :oops:
The ARB kit in post #4 above has a paste lube that is fairly stable. In addition it has a good reamer and insertion tool with handles you can actually get a hold of. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: MEKrunner

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
The ARB kit in post #4 above has a paste lube that is fairly stable. In addition it has a good reamer. I highly recommend it.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thank you!!
The ARB stuff is popular with the off-road crowd and if your dealer sells jeeps their parts department may sell ARB accessories.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts