Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a OEM or even aftermarket spare tire available for a 2018 SXT. Or Has anyone had experience trying ot put a full size spare tire in the trunk well.

·
Registered
15,851 Posts
Or Modern Spare, they have a kit for you and probably be cheaper for everything than the dealer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
This has been covered several times but many newer Challengers don't come with spares since the tire well is full of speakers and such, like mine. I purchased a Modern Spare kit with the jack, tools and carry bag for about $400. No room in the trunk for the stock 20 x 11" factory wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,665 Posts
Actually, if you get either the Blacktop package, or the Plus package (or both) on the SXT, you can get the compact spare Sales code TBC. Or you can just get the spare TBG $495. GT and R/T as well

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,665 Posts
This has been covered several times but many newer Challengers don't come with spares since the tire well is full of speakers and such, like mine. I purchased a Modern Spare kit with the jack, tools and carry bag for about $400. No room in the trunk for the stock 20 x 11" factory wheel.
Did it come with the hold down to mount the spare? The bracket was already in place in the tire well to attach to?

A Guy

·
Registered
15,851 Posts
Did it come with the hold down to mount the spare? The bracket was already in place in the tire well to attach to?

A Guy
Believe that's on all cars, mine has it and they use it to hold the HK subs down.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
No hope of fitting my Modern Spare in the recess that used to hold a spare since mine came with the Harmon Kardon subs. I hooked a strap behind the seat to hold it up toward the seat so it doesn't slide around. I might add some ties downs later but it is still above the trunk carpet. I also tried Craig's List 1st with no luck.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Check Craigslist and auto salvage yards. I picked up an OEM spare at a yard last week for $75.
Just a note of caution. I did this for another (used) car I bought many years ago. It did not have a spare tire. The tire looks great as described on ebay. But something was wrong with the valve stem. Did not hold air.

So I took it to Discount Tire. They would not fix it because the tire was past it's age. I don't recall now, 7 or 10 years?

This is my story and may not happen to you.

So the point of sharing this story is, beside you can't always trust ebay, sometimes it's better to buy new. When you do use it, it's really a safety thing. And you need it work and have confidence with it.

Because I already spend the money, I did't want to spend anymore..

If I would have bought new, could have avoided a lot of the stress..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts