Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2020 challenger scat pack with 20 inch rims I was wondering if I can purchase a spare donut instead of having the inflate kit I just don’t like the idea of driving without a spare. Or maybe a aftermarket kit that I can purchase

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
658 Posts
Try nabbing a factory one (preferably with scissor jack, handle/wrench combo, mounting bolt and holddown nut, too) out of a local junkyard/pick-n-pull for cheap? There may not be many Challengers or Magnums but Chargers and 300s are usually plentiful.

Then just grab a couple of $25 hubcentric spacers to clear the Brembos up front (7mm or 8mm IIRC). Or, if you have the same size wheel/tires all around, put a good rear in place of a bad front and put the spare on the rear.

Mine came with the OEM compact spare kit but I also threw an OEM inflator from eBay, a plug kit, and visegrips in the spare well. If you've changed lug nuts make sure the handle/wrench is compatible or get a correct socket and wrench.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
If you have the standard 4-piston Brembo brakes then your dealer was wrong.

There is a factory optional spare that fits and is available on GT and R/T with Performance Handling Group which includes the 4-piston Brembos but for some reason cannot be ordered in Scat Pack even though the brakes and wheels are the same.

So he should be able to look it up if that's what you want.

I'd still go with the Modern Spare. It's a real tire and not a temporary use donut so just seems like it's better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,172 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6 piston that might be the problem. I am going to call Modern tomorrow on this tire 20 in and the 6 piston caliper. Thanks again for the info. And the dealer was no help at all

The Calipars are big on the car

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
6-pistons are out, no spare will fit over the 6-pistons without a spacer.

Now instead of running a spacer, if I got a flat on front I would just do a double swap and put the spare on rear.

The spacer causes a pull that gets worse when you hit the brakes and your already low ground clearance is now reduced even more so spare on front is out for me.

And it won't hurt your limited slip either as some say.

Spacers are a bad idea imho.

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have an ‘18 SP with 6-piston Brembos. Recently drove from Chicago to Maine to hug the grandkids. Didn’t want to go that far away without a real full-size spare that was the same diameter as the OEM tires (275/40x20). Ordered a 9x20x20mm wheel and a Kumho 245/45x20 from Tire Rack. Picked it up on the way to Maine at Tire Rack headquarters in South Bend, IN. Glad I had it.

(Second flat tire on Horace in 18 months and 11k miles.☹)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Picked it up on the way to Maine at Tire Rack headquarters in South Bend, IN. Glad I had it.
The OEM compact spares and the Modern Spare are both significantly smaller diameter than the OEM tires. I didn’t want to drop the front of the SP even further. I didn’t want to find out how big of a difference in diameter the clutches in the limited-slip differential can deal with.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
@70iselin Where are you located I have one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Slidd,

Couldn’t the difference in tire diameters be one of the reasons that owner’s manual says not to drive over 50 mph with the temporary spare?

Don’t Challengers use a clutch-type LSD? I sure would like to see a statement from FCA about the maximum difference in diameters that the LSD can handle for extended distances (e.g., over 50 miles).

We drove over 200 miles at Interstate speeds to get a replacement tire for the flat we had in Maine.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Slidd,

Couldn’t the difference in tire diameters be one of the reasons that owner’s manual says not to drive over 50 mph with the temporary spare?

Don’t Challengers use a clutch-type LSD? I sure would like to see a statement from FCA about the maximum difference in diameters that the LSD can handle for extended distances (e.g., over 50 miles).

We drove over 200 miles at Interstate speeds to get a replacement tire for the flat we had in Maine.
You have to think there will be some additional wear but enough to cause a serious problem? I don't think so.

Modern Spare has said their spare presents no issues and Dodge has either included as standard equipment or offered optionally a spare on limited slip Challengers since 2009 and never heard of a problem.

So 200 miles might be a little far but doubt you hurt anything. Go ahead and do a service with new additive if you want.

"Our kit is designed to better match the rolling diameter of your vehicle’s factory tires. This prevents excess strain on your vehicle’s drivetrain. Also, if the situation requires, this allows you to travel farther than the limited 50-mile range of old spare tires.

Each Modern Spare kit comes equipped with an actual reinforced tire for a more useful travel distance and at more normal highway speeds. With the right size spare tire, you can more easily complete your trip or travel to a repair shop of your choice. Whether you have AWD, a limited-slip differential, or locking differential, our kit is safe for the sophisticated drivetrain of your car."

--My vehicle has a limited slip differential, will using the spare damage my car?

"No, it will not. There are many performance vehicles that come from the factory with both a limited slip differential (LSD) and a spare tire.

As a general rule of thumb, a spare tire needs to have a diameter that is at least 85% of the diameter of the vehicles other tires.

At minimum, our products have a spare tire diameter that is 92% of the OEM tire diameter with many of our kits having a 95% + diameter relation to the OEM tire size.

Thus, you can be confident that any Modern Spare product will be well within the safe use range for your vehicle."

·
Registered
221 Posts
My full-size Kumho spare (245/45x20) is 28.7”. My OEM Pirelli tires (275/40x20) are 28.8”. The flat OEM tire has now been replaced with the same model/size Pirelli.

Even if the three original tires (10/32 tread when new) are down to the 2/32 wear bars, that’s only a 0.5” difference in diameter, less than 2%. The temporary spares are 26.5” diameter. That’s an 8% difference. Without guidance from FCA, that difference is more than I’m comfortable with for longer distances at highway speeds. That‘s why I went to the trouble of getting a full-size spare for our trip to Maine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
6-pistons are out, no spare will fit over the 6-pistons without a spacer.

Now instead of running a spacer, if I got a flat on front I would just do a double swap and put the spare on rear.

The spacer causes a pull that gets worse when you hit the brakes and your already low ground clearance is now reduced even more so spare on front is out for me.

Spacers are a bad idea imho.

Amen to spacers being a bad idea!

·
Registered
383 Posts
How does the full-size Kumho spare fit in the tire well? I thought one of the reasons that spare tires were not an option on some models is because they would not fit in the space provided.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts