Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've decided to make the spares on both my Challenger and Magnum full size with matching rims and tires to the existing on them.

I have the factory SRT Alcoa rims and am running the same tire sizes front to back so I can rotate them however I like.

I like the idea that I could use the spare as needed, fix a bad tire, and make that my new spare.

I'm not sure I trust the air pump/slime backup kit. Plus I'd likely get a hole in the tire side or something that it would not help.

So, I got a good deal on a 5th matching wheel to use for my spare.

I found a good source on eBay for authentic schrader TPMS for it cheap so the wheel would be in all ways exactly like my mounted ones.

Not sure how far these things transmit to, or where the receiver(s) are mounted in the car.

1) Does anyone know if the spare will make anything go 'haywire' in the system since it would be a 5th sensor?

2) Recommended rotate patterns (with or without the spare)?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Great question!!!
I know that I've transported a ton of wheel sets in other cars/trucks (car trunks, truck beds) including track only sets and winter or summer only tire sets, all of which have TPMS monitoring and not once were the additional wheel sets (sensors) picked up by the car or truck I was driving.
I dont think they work that way..ie: vehicle system is probably intentionally locked out to all but 4, married freq sensors at a time and only for very short ranges, otherwise in therory, the system could detect same freq sensors from same/similar cars parked/driving next to yours at any one time, and I've never heard of that happening.

As for rotation, normally its done similar to/ a variation of - a clockwise shuffle:
Left rear to left front. Left front to right front. Right front to right rear. Right rear to left rear.
If your running staggered, this of course changes things and any rotation is simply side to side which is generally zero benefit.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
684 Posts
To my knowledge.....the sensors go to “sleep” and are awakened with movement (tire rotation). Since your spare will not be rotating...it won’t be transmitting.

As to the tire rotation.....google five tire rotation for a few different options.
B25A73E2-10D8-4065-9FCE-F3AC987E097F.png

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
I agree, the sensors are designed to “wake up” via centrifugal force (once the wheels rotates at about 20 mph or so). In order to help extend battery life, the sensors “go to sleep” when parked

A Guy

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Okay, so I've decided to make the spares on both my Challenger and Magnum full size with matching rims and tires to the existing on them.

I have the factory SRT Alcoa rims and am running the same tire sizes front to back so I can rotate them however I like.

I like the idea that I could use the spare as needed, fix a bad tire, and make that my new spare.

I'm not sure I trust the air pump/slime backup kit. Plus I'd likely get a hole in the tire side or something that it would not help.

So, I got a good deal on a 5th matching wheel to use for my spare.

I found a good source on eBay for authentic schrader TPMS for it cheap so the wheel would be in all ways exactly like my mounted ones.

Not sure how far these things transmit to, or where the receiver(s) are mounted in the car.

1) Does anyone know if the spare will make anything go 'haywire' in the system since it would be a 5th sensor?

2) Recommended rotate patterns (with or without the spare)?
When I had a car, VW Golf TDi, with a full sized spare I didn't bother to include the spare in the tire rotation scheme. In fact after the 1st rotation at IIRC 10K miles tire wear was so even I didn't bother with rotating the tires again. This decision was helped by the fact the dealer failed to rotate the tires after I had asked this be done. I brought the fact the tires had not been rotated to the attention of the SA who said they were rotated. I had to show him the paint dabs on the lug nuts on the wheels were obviously not disturbed.

Since tire wear was even and I didn't feel like I could trust the dealer to perform this service reliably I just left the tires alone. Got great tire life out of the tires. Just 3 sets in 150K miles.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, the sensors are designed to “wake up” via centrifugal force (once the wheels rotates at about 20 mph or so). In order to help extend battery life, the sensors “go to sleep” when parked

A Guy
That is very good to know, I was unaware that they were asleep without the motion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts