Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I istalled a procharger on a 2010 6.1 srt8. i got a missfire code number 7 cylinder when i pulled both plugs they were hit an smashed shut. i am running 5 pds boost and i hit the rev limiter twice. i put new plugs and it made a ticking noise for a couple miles and went away. the car runs fine now but what caused this i have 10,000 miles on car and 100 miles on pro charger

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
OEM plugs, or did you change them? What plug number?

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Time to tear into it. Yank the heads off and the front of the motor.
Hard to belive the rods streached that far. And only once. Normally once ya smash the
plugs closed it was over with. Ive done it. Long ago. First id think it was timing chain issue.
I have had mine off the rev limiter .........cant count that far, many times. No issue
FlatTop

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
What did you gap them at? Who did the tune?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
More than likely a piece of the piston broke off and closed the plug.. Try using a borescope to check on the piston.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
First id think it was timing chain issue.
Except that the plugs don't move, so timing chain wouldn't result in the plugs being hit. Valves, yes.

I'd say stretched rod, the chance of both plugs being smashed shut by piston debris seems pretty small. I can see the plugs being damaged by being hit from random directions, but smashed shut...that sounds like piston contact to me.

No idea how it could possibly be running fine after something physically damaged the plugs. However, I do know of a Procharged 6.1L that had part of a piston break off (Apparently a known issue with some stock 6.1L pistons when adding power?) and get spit out the exhaust that still seemed to run fine. I was next to him when it happened. Didn't last long, though. He's torn into that engine at least a couple of times that I know of since that happened.

The moral is, don't assume everything is ok. Check it out with a scope or take it to a shop that knows what to look for, if something is busted then it's only a matter of time before more damage is done.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
More than likely a piece of the piston broke off and closed the plug.. Try using a borescope to check on the piston.
This is what happened to me. Closed the gap on the plugs and beat the hell out of the head. Definitely take a look with a bore scope, look around the piston where it contacts the cylinder walls. Heat causes the rings to expand and with the tight gap on oem rings they touch and blow off the top of the piston. The top ring land is only 3mm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will try to scope it tomorrow to see if a piece of the piston broke. something hit both plugs good. and now it runs fine so i bet your right it spit it out the exhaust. As far as the gap and tune. .35 gap and procharger canned tune. i don't think either of them had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow.. sounds very familiar. Popped two piston ring lands at the Texas Mile (9psi boost) last month. Four spark plugs were pancaked after a large piece of each piston filled the void and no more room for plugs.

Bent two exhaust valves in the process.. otherwise it just might have continued to run - for a while.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i will try to scope it tomorrow to see if a piece of the piston broke. something hit both plugs good. and now it runs fine so i bet your right it spit it out the exhaust. As far as the gap and tune. .35 gap and procharger canned tune. i don't think either of them had anything to do with it.
Your plug gap had nothing to do with it. the ring end gap is the likely suspect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i scoped the engine tonight and it looks like something beat the piston bad on number seven. The other cylinders look ok so i am going to pull the head to see what happened closer. I will keep you posted and any advise will be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Wish people would really know what they are talking about before they open their mouth.
Plenty of people running more boost then that on 6.1s including me with no issues, Its not the pistons fault if bad gas, Bad BOV, Bad tune, Fuel system failure ect ect ect.. happened.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Wish people would really know what they are talking about before they open their mouth.
Plenty of people running more boost then that on 6.1s including me with no issues, Its not the pistons fault if bad gas, Bad BOV, Bad tune, Fuel system failure ect ect ect.. happened.
A bit old/dated, but a good list. Sure, there is a cause and effect. I don't think anyone is saying that the pistons just spontaneously break for no reason when boosted, they are just likely to be one of the first things to fail. Whether that's the fault of gas or a bad tune is of no consequence, people need to be aware of that the stock pistons just aren't all that strong and to avoid having some unexpected failures some forged pistons would be a wise investment.

What Breaks On 2008 To 2011 Dodge's - Got An ’08-’11 Dodge? Here’s What’s Gonna Break - Hot Rod Magazine All Pages

Reactions: Freqnlodown

·
Registered
477 Posts
My input is based solely on my personal experience.

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Point is I have seen plenty of engine's stock and forged from all different manufactures fail because of the issues I posted above, are 6.1 pistons all that strong? no but running 5lbs of boost on them should not be the reason they broke if that is the case for the OP. He also needs to double check everything on that car to make sure its running in spec, Also needs to pull the intake off and drop the belly pan to check for debris or else he may end up sucking back in broken metal.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts