Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the speaker impedances are for the 2015s, in particular with the base Alpine system (the 6 speaker one with the amp)? I just traded my 2013 R/T that had the Boston SG II system for a 2015 scat pack. The Boston has 2 ohm speakers. I had upgraded some of the speakers in the 2013 but took them out when I traded in. I now have new 6.5" 2-ohm speakers for the rear that I never installed and an 8" sub.

I saw a post or two noting that the dash speakers in the 2015s are 8-ohm, but that does strike me as a bit odd for a car system as most are 4-ohm or 2-ohm set-ups (I have probably installed systems in 20+ cars over the years). I have Infinity 3.5" 3-ohm speakers that I will drop into the front, but would rather not use 2-ohm speakers for the rears if the 2015 really does have 8-ohm speakers.

Can anyone confirm the impedances for the 2015?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The base system isn't the alpine. That's the 1st level upgrade. That one is listed on the sheets as having a 276 watt amp.

I have the base system with 6 speakers. No amp is mentioned on the sheet, but there has to be one because I don't believe the UConnect system has a built in amp. I could be wrong though. I need to do some looking into the car to see if/where the amp is. Anyways, in the base system, dash is 8-ohm, doors and deck are 4-ohm.

Now I'm wondering if the 1st level upgrade is actually the same amp, just ran with lower impedance speakers to get more power. I need to look under the steering column and get a part number, if there is an amp there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To shed a little more light, I can answer part of my own question and help others along the way. I do have the 1st level upgrade (the 276watt amped "Alpine"). I had a pair of 3.5" Infinity X-REF3002cfx speakers that I installed in the dash in my 2013 R/T SG II setup. I took them out when I traded her in. just dropped them into my 2015 scat pack. The speakers I took out from the "Alpine" system were typical Made in China garbage. I measured the impedance at 2.5-ohm, so I presume that the 276 watt "Alpine" system runs 2-ohm speakers all around. I will eventually get around to the rears and will post the measurements once I do it, unless someone beats me to it first.

As an aside, the 3.5" Infinity X-REF3002cfx speakers in the dash are very nice upgrade. Matches pretty well to the amp and is a whole lot better sounding than the stock. They're less than $100 and the install time was about 30 minutes (make sure you get the Metra adapters).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I need to post pics of all the base level oem speakers so we can compare oem speakers. I'll try to get around to that soon.

On a side note, I was surprised to see that only the rear deck 6.5"s had a plastic basket. I figured I'd pull all the speakers and they'd be the same.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm very pleased with the JL TR350-CXi speakers I had all three of my dash speakers replaced with. They are plenty loud and are a huge improvement. A friend of mine who has a lot more money had them in his Magnum, 300, and Challenger, so I knew they worked fine. And since I had to buy 4, I have a spare, just in case.

The back speakers are really bad, but my friend found out that they do very little and replacing them with better speakers is kind of a waste of money, considering the slight improvement he got from it. Honestly, the only time I could really tell the difference was when the car wasn't running. A better use for the money would be dynamat or similar sound deadening, and a better sub. The sound deadening makes a huge difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts