Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting new speakers for christmas to replace my base 4 speakers however I have very little mechanical knowledge(I'm 17). The website says they are a direct fit and there is no need for brackets. How difficult would this be for me to do without messin up my car? Any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
where are they coming from? some sellers like Crutchfield sends complete instructions
step by step on how to install. (mastersheets I think they call them) do a search on this forum
and you-tube and I bet you find some good instruction. go slow and easy and you shouldn't
have too much trouble.

good luck,

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've not done the install but Lone Star Mopars - YouTube has some videos on youtube that might be useful for you on removing the door panels and the speakers.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where are they coming from? some sellers like Crutchfield sends complete instructions
step by step on how to install. (mastersheets I think they call them) do a search on this forum
and you-tube and I bet you find some good instruction. go slow and easy and you shouldn't
have too much trouble.

good luck,
Thanks for the reply! They are coming from crutchfield.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
828 Posts
I got my speakers from Crutchfield and the directions were really good and easy to follow. The only problem I had was the mounting adapters that came with the rear speakers wasn't correct for the hole pattern and I had to get another set. Also the speaker connector spades wouldn't slide on the new speakers so I cut them off and soldered them directly to the speaker terminals.

Overall all simple and just take your time with the install.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
its all depends on the actual drivers you buy. Some are literally drag and drop while others are drag and drop with modification and others are just start over from scratch haha.

17 is a typical age to start screwing around with this stuff and is when i started myself. I am 26 now and the stuff i have learned in the last 9 years as far as audio is concerned would blow your mind not to mention the advancements in audio since then.

Here are a few things to be aware of if you do it yourself:

1. You are going to be out there 5 times as long the first time around learning how to do everything if not longer. There is a learning curve to this.
2. Online help guides are awesome and help you to prepare as to what you are going to see. They may or may not actually help you with your install.
3. Be careful what audio knowledge you read and take to heart on the internet. There is a lot of snake oil.
4. Learn audio basics and electric basics like ohms law, voltage, amperage.
5. If you don't know, ask it. We have a pretty knowledgeable bunch here with CERI blowing our minds constantly with his brains.
6. Read number 1 again and be prepared. You may do it quicker but don't rush it. Take your time and concede to the fact that doing it right usually takes longer.
7. Do you install in weather that is warmer. 70's is usually good because your hands stay nimble and you aren't too sweaty to work. I have done 32 degree installs with wind and it is absolutely miserable. I am more experienced than you and it still pushed me to my tolerance limits. Trust me, not the best way to learn. Not to mention the plethora of times i have worked in the cold. I hate it and only do it when necessary. As-is, I am waiting to install my sound deadener until its a bit warmer.
8. Start your work earlier in the day, 9-10 in the AM so you get a full day and stores will be open if you need parts. Trust me, the 1 AM install sucks when you need a part and can't buy it until the next day while riding around in a car thats half together.

What speakers did you get?

·
Registered
209 Posts
What speakers are you getting? Look at the hole patterns on the new speakers and then look up the hole patterns on the stock speakers. The rear deck speakers use a 3-hole pattern that are outside of the speaker circle - they mount on tabs. The dash speakers (if you have them) are 2-hole pattern. If I remember correctly, the door speakers are 3-hole like the rear deck. I had to buy ABS adapter plates for all six speakers and silicon/screw them onto the door/deck frame. Piece of cake as long as you know how they are going to mount up before you take your panels off. If your new speakers do not have funny looking tabs hanging off, then you'll likely need adapter plates.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for the help! I ordered the kicker 6x9 3 ways for the front and 6.5 kicker 2 ways for the back( I'm not doing the dash speakers yet). I've been studying on how to install and hopefully won't have any problems. I also have a friend that is more knowledgable about car audio and said he would help! Thanks for the advice and I'll let everyone know how the install goes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I took a quick look at crutchfield. Looks like you will need adapter plates for the rear deck from what they appear to stock (77KICK10 is the direct mount kicker 2-way speaker for the challenger - look at the 3 funny tabs). Front should line up since you are putting 6x9's in. Keep in mind that the dash speakers are "components" of the front channel. The door and dash speakers are meant to work together (low/mid in the door, tweeters in the dash with an inline capacitor) off of one channel. So if you are putting 3-ways in the door, you will be left wondering what to do with the dash speakers down the road. Many people choose to put in component speakers (2- or 3-way) in the door and dash with a separate crossover. I believe infinity Kappa's are a direct fit with this setup. I obviously went a different route with Focal 2-way. Inifinity I think makes a 3-way with the mid/tweeter coaxial and the bass in the door with a separate crossover (but I could be confusing it with Kicker). Something to think about...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts