Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've already read several articles about the actual size of the speakers and how the front are 6 by 9 and then the rear ones are six and a half. But there's a couple different posts that say that certain speakers won't work because of the depth of the actual holes and mounts for the speakers, but I've yet to find anybody actually say how deep the speaker holes are. I've looked up a couple of different websites with different speakers that I want but all of them so far said they're not compatible with the Challenger and I would assume is because of the depth, or maybe the websites are just wrong. Does anybody know how deep the holes actually are so when I'm looking at speakers I can actually factor that into it? I really don't want to spend a lot of money on speakers and then it turns out they don't even fit, or I have to do some crazy modification like drill a hole or something like that into my car which I refuse to do for some speakers. I've got the 16 RT with the base level speaker package.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I recently did the door speakers on my car. I do not have measurements for you, but the obstacle that I ran into was not so much the depth, but the width of the speaker magnet and speaker frame shape. You can see in the second photo here how the speaker fits into the plastic water shields: 06-16 Chrysler 300 Dodge Challenger New Front Door Speaker Mopar Factory OEM | eBay

The magnets on my JBL 6X9s are not overly large and the speaker frame was deeper than stock. It wouldn't fit where the water shield pinches in. I was pretty upset that they didn't fit even though they were advertised as a drop-in. FORTUNATELY, I was able to use the spacer rings provided, and I was able to fit them AND the door panel cleared the speakers with the spacers. The spacer ring raised the speaker just enough for clearance.

I have dash and rear speakers on order so I haven't tackled those yet.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I had to use the spacer ring on my 15 when I installed the Infinity reference speakers, too, and they are advertised as drop-in. I think Crutchfield or whoever expects the ring to be used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I triple the replies. I needed a spacer ring for the door speakers. All other speakers do not require them. Infinity Reference is what I put in all around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do you guys recommend for the speakers? Like how they have two and three way ones, any preference? I read somewhere that the component ones are good for our cars because of the tweeters in the front on the dash. Did any of you replace those one's as well? When I do the speakers I kind of want to do the front and the door ones at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with Infinity References with all 6 speakers. They are coaxial and 3 ohms. I think the ohms matter the most from the research I have done. We have 2 ohm head units so from what I read 4 ohm speakers will cause volume loss. I can't say that's true or not, just what I read.

I first did the door and rear speakers because of time. I drove the car for a week and then put in the dash speakers. All in all replacing the dash with coaxial made the overall sound better. The speaker replacement in itself makes it sounds like a new system. It really was the best $250 bucks I spent on the car. Overall volume is slightly better and overall sound was much better. Better highs and lows. The lows surprised me because the speakers are coaxial but it was a nice surprise. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts