Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Alpine 6 Speaker system and am thinking of upgrading speakers. Does it make a big difference going from 2 Ohm speakers to 4 Ohm speakers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got the same question. I have 6 speaker BA with factory amp. Would like to just upgrade speakers and add an amplified sub in trunk between the battery and air compressor kit. Will aftermarket 3.5" dash speakers fit without hitting grill/dash cover? Is there a simple 6x9 woofer in 2 ohm for the doors? I already bought some Kappa 6.5 speakers in 2 ohm for the rear deck. Help greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,505 Posts
I have the Alpine 6 Speaker system and am thinking of upgrading speakers. Does it make a big difference going from 2 Ohm speakers to 4 Ohm speakers?
Generally speaking, yes it will make a big enough difference to be noticeable.

Now, there are lots of factors at play in your scenario, like which 2 ohm speakers are you replacing with the 4 ohm ones (door, rear deck etc.). But in terms of amplification, your factory amp is pushing out X watts to any channel it sees a 2 ohm impedance on, and it will only put (0.5*X)or maybe (0.75*X) watts when it sees a 4 ohm impedance on that channel.

In a high power system, losing 3/4 or 1/2 of the power on a couple (or all) channels may not be noticeable if the speakers are good and have high sensitivity, etc., but on yours, you’ll likey

I've got the same question. I have 6 speaker BA with factory amp. Would like to just upgrade speakers and add an amplified sub in trunk between the battery and air compressor kit. Will aftermarket 3.5" dash speakers fit without hitting grill/dash cover? Is there a simple 6x9 woofer in 2 ohm for the doors? I already bought some Kappa 6.5 speakers in 2 ohm for the rear deck. Help greatly appreciated.
Not all 3.5” speakers will fit in the dash, but some will. I would use Crutchfield’s website to determine which ones that fit (or the measurements required to fit if they don’t sell the kind you want).

For the door drivers, yes there are lots of 6x9s that will work quite well. I had some JBLs that were 2.67 ohm that were great in the doors. My 3.5” dash replacements were 3 ohm, so I didn’t need the 2 ohms in the doors (doors and dash are wired in parallel, at least in the base model audio packages). Again, I would use Crutchfield to find the speakers that sounded good for my application.

The 6.5” replacements you already have should fit fine in the rear deck. There are very few I’ve seen that wouldn’t fit back there. Heck, if they sound really good, you can mount them in the front doors as long as you use an adapter (Crutchfield!).

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,505 Posts
Well this kinda sucks. It doesn't look like there are a lot of options.
If you’re talking about the 3.5” ones, there are other speakers that will fit but which Crutchfield’s doesn’t sell currently. But you can use their website to extract the relevant mounting specs for the vehicle and speaker location you specify, and then take those specs to compare to speakers you find elsewhere to ensure fitment.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Not 2 ohm speakers, but the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6903C component set is a fantastic "drop-in" set of speakers for the doors/dash. KFC-X174 are 6.5's for the rear deck. Love these speakers (but I have an amp and a full DSP setup that allows for unlimited "tuning", so that helps too).

As you've seen, your options for 2 ohm speakers are sort of limited...

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,505 Posts
Not 2 ohm speakers, but the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6903C component set is a fantastic "drop-in" set of speakers for the doors/dash. KFC-X174 are 6.5's for the rear deck. Love these speakers (but I have an amp and a full DSP setup that allows for unlimited "tuning", so that helps too).

As you've seen, your options for 2 ohm speakers are sort of limited...
I have the 7” drivers from the Excelon KFC-184C component set in my doors and they are some damned fine sounding speakers. (I already had some good Infinity 3.5” speakers n the dash handling the highs, so the tweeters from the component set are hooked up in my garage.)

Expensive for sure, especially since I’m only using the drivers out of the set in my car, but anything Excelon is going to be expensive I reckon...and worth it.
(y)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts