Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2016 R/T Plus that has the Harmon-Kardon audio system in it. That includes two speakers mounted in the trunk space that a spare tire would normally live in. I'm not real comfortable having to rely on a compressor and can of fix-a-flat in the event of a flat tire. Let alone a blowout, I'd really be screwed in that case. So I'm wondering if it's possible to remove those two speakers (I assume they're the sub-woofers) and restore that space to it's original purpose.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
I just bought a new 2016 R/T Plus that has the Harmon-Kardon audio system in it. That includes two speakers mounted in the trunk space that a spare tire would normally live in. I'm not real comfortable having to rely on a compressor and can of fix-a-flat in the event of a flat tire. Let alone a blowout, I'd really be screwed in that case. So I'm wondering if it's possible to remove those two speakers (I assume they're the sub-woofers) and restore that space to it's original purpose.
FYI - any of the Brembo equipped models don't have spares - if you don't opt for HK audio option, you get the black foam box along with the fix-a-flat and air compressor.

So all those T/A 392s, Scat Packs and SRT models don't have the option of spare tires either.

The well will only hold a compact 18" spare setup - a full size tire won't fit in that well. I had the spare tire / jack option on my '09 R/T...

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,463 Posts
Removing that module will have a negative effect on the quality of sound your stereo produces. I opted for a full size spare for times when I'm out on the road in the wide open spaces. If I'm around home, I rely on roadside assistance/towing via AAA to deal with a flat via tow to a tire shop. I also carry a tire plug kit with large pliers so I can make a repair that will hold air until I get to a tire shop. I don't want to pump a load of goop into any of my wheels if I can help it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'd always assumed that a spare would have to be the compact one, and I'm fine with that. I don't even object to having to go out and buy one myself. I just want to know if it's possible to remove those two speakers without completely screwing up the rest of the audio system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Removing that module will have a negative effect on the quality of sound your stereo produces. I opted for a full size spare for times when I'm out on the road in the wide open spaces. If I'm around home, I rely on roadside assistance/towing via AAA to deal with a flat via tow to a tire shop. I also carry a tire plug kit with large pliers so I can make a repair that will hold air until I get to a tire shop. I don't want to pump a load of goop into any of my wheels if I can help it.
Hmmm. I hadn't thought about plugs. Is that something I can find at the corner auto parts store? And yeah, I suppose if all else fails I can always just pick up a spare, jack and lug wrench and throw them in the trunk. Less room for other stuff, but it's better than having a blowout and no spare out in BFE someplace. I've also thought about getting AAA.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
I have the HK system. I love it, but yeah, no spare???

I went on E-Bay and found a dealership selling donut spare tire kits for Chargers at less than $150. So I have a donut, jack, and lug nut wrench in my trunk now. The spare really doesn't take up that much space sitting on top. I guess it all depends on how much you use the trunk. FWIW, lug nut sizes changed in either 2014, or 15. So be aware if you go this route like I did. You don't want the older, smaller lug nut wrench.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts

I went on E-Bay and found a dealership selling donut spare tire kits for Chargers at less than $150. So I have a donut, jack, and lug nut wrench in my trunk now. The spare really doesn't take up that much space sitting on top. I guess it all depends on how much you use the trunk. FWIW, lug nut sizes changed in either 2014, or 15. So be aware if you go this route like I did. You don't want the older, smaller lug nut wrench.
Pre '11 the OEM lug nuts are 21mm

'11+ went to 22mm lug nuts as OEM

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,463 Posts
Hmmm. I hadn't thought about plugs. Is that something I can find at the corner auto parts store? And yeah, I suppose if all else fails I can always just pick up a spare, jack and lug wrench and throw them in the trunk. Less room for other stuff, but it's better than having a blowout and no spare out in BFE someplace. I've also thought about getting AAA.

I got my plug kit at a NAPA auto parts. It is a kit with tough, rubber/tar like impregnated ropes that you force in to a puncture that has been prepared. The kit is self contained with everything needed to install a plug. Does not come with anything to remove the offending screw or nail. That's why I carry large pliers. Only works on relatively small punctures. Tears or splits are not plugable. And of course you'll need something to put air back in the tire.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
If you decide to carry a spare, make sure whatever you get clears the brakes on your car. Does your rear have a limited slip differential? That can also complicate things.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
I would love to find a way to either custom mount a full size spare and jack, or remove the speakers and mount those separately making room for a spare.

I would not use the goop either. Actually my emergency pump doesn’t even work!! I went out and bought a better one from Costco to keep in the trunk.

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
There's a bracket for mounting a full size spare, there's also a seperate rubber piece that covers the area since that stock cover has to be removed. Here's the bracket and cover shown on a police charger and an SRT Challenger with I think the same bracket and full size spare. The HK subs need to be removed and you could use the earlier kicker sub instead.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
This is a UAE spec SRT Charger with the bracket and full size spare.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my plug kit at a NAPA auto parts. It is a kit with tough, rubber/tar like impregnated ropes that you force in to a puncture that has been prepared. The kit is self contained with everything needed to install a plug. Does not come with anything to remove the offending screw or nail. That's why I carry large pliers. Only works on relatively small punctures. Tears or splits are not plugable. And of course you'll need something to put air back in the tire.
I went ahead and picked up a plug kit. I may decide later to go ahead and throw a spare and a jack and lug wrench in the trunk. Changing out the sub-woofers is a little more effort than I want to expend, I think I'd rather live with some loss of cargo capacity. The jack and lug wrench might not be a bad thing to have even without a spare - plugging a hole might be a lot easier with the tire off the car, depending on where the hole is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Do you happen to recall the name of that dealership? I did some searching on EBay and didn't find that kit. The "Spare Tire Kits" that I did find, turn out to be nothing more than a replacement compressor when you read them (even though the description says it includes a tire, wheel, jack etc., which doesn't appear to be true - the price is way too low to include all that anyway).

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Do you happen to recall the name of that dealership? I did some searching on EBay and didn't find that kit. The "Spare Tire Kits" that I did find, turn out to be nothing more than a replacement compressor when you read them (even though the description says it includes a tire, wheel, jack etc., which doesn't appear to be true - the price is way too low to include all that anyway).
This was 4 years ago, so I can't recall the name of the dealership. I only remember that they were in Texas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts