Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was over at my local dealership last week I noticed they had a special order customized Challenger for sale. I may be wrong , Im thinking that the model was the Mopar 10 , Something 10 ???????? The car is black with a classic red stripe on its sides. It has a hood scoop. Its a 5.7 car. It has special braces mounted in the trunk and under its hood and may have more in places that I didnt see. Its a nice looking car. Before I purchased my SRT 8 last month I was constantly researching Dodge's website and some others too but I never came upon any site that has information regarding these custom / special order Challengers. Only SMS. Does anyone know of a special Dodge site that shows these custom Dodge models ? This car looks fully OEM and not sub'd out to a shop like SMS. I would like to know what other custom models Dodge offers ? Rattler

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I have not been looking, but you would think that Dodge will have something in the future that would excite the masses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Special Challengers

Something tells me that the best is on the drawing table , C A D , etc. Probably a 426 car in a couple of years. Fiat worries me , They want a non US Muscle but a Euro look. But what worries me is say I research the website , talk to salesmen , look at brochures , decide and purchase the car then a week later some killer 500hp custom car like the 10 is sitting in the showroom. Sales is ruthless , A salesman may know that a super car is due in , in about a week but he will not say anything about it because he wants to sell you a car that day. And they also know that a custom car will sell fast. Especially if its all OEM. Maybe Dodge has a site showing these cars and I just missed it. Rattler

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The Mopar 10 is nothing more than a limited edition OEM Mopar accessoried out RT...its not a perfomance variant...keep your pants on.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Mopar 10 is nothing more than a limited edition OEM Mopar accessoried out RT...its not a perfomance variant...keep your pants on.
But but the website puts it in the performance division! And calls it a 'speed demon'! And it comes with a CAI!!!

BTW, I'm trying to be super sarcastic....

Here's the info
Mopar '10 Dodge Challenger R/T

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mopar 10

When I noticed the stock 5.7 I knew then that I was still happy with my 6.1 purchase. But it is a great looking car. Im no car tech but when looking at those braces ???? I wonder ,,,,,, Do the realy help anything worth while besides cosmetics ? They look great . The salesman said that they keep the body parts from flexing , moving ? I have never noticed a problem with unbraced body sections under "normal" muscle car driving but like I stated , Im no techy , Just like driving the car. Do those braces serve any real useful purpose ? Again , Its a great looking package ! Rattler

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When I noticed the stock 5.7 I knew then that I was still happy with my 6.1 purchase. But it is a great looking car. Im no car tech but when looking at those braces ???? I wonder ,,,,,, Do the realy help anything worth while besides cosmetics ? They look great . The salesman said that they keep the body parts from flexing , moving ? I have never noticed a problem with unbraced body sections under "normal" muscle car driving but like I stated , Im no techy , Just like driving the car. Do those braces serve any real useful purpose ? Again , Its a great looking package ! Rattler
Although there's various discussions about the usefulness of strut tower braces their intended purpose is to stiffen the upper body against flex while cornering hard.

Here's a link that explains them slightly Strut Bars - Strut Tower Bar

Now for the personal opinion part...

Unless you plan and pushing your car to the limits in handling on the street they are nothing more than appearance mods. Now if you plan on competing in any type of competition that requires handling (SCCA Autocross, Time Trials and Hill Climbs, etc) they're worth it but not before more important mods like spring / shock / strut kits.

Hope it helps. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Also the car you saw was a Mopar 10, I think Dodge advertised 20hp over stock R/T which would put it at the 390hp range. More than a standard production R/T but less than a SRT8.

As far as Dodge's advertising with limited editions like the Mopar 10 and Inaugural Edition, I think the internet and word of mouth still is far better than any marketing (or lack there of) that Dodge has actually done.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The mopar 10 challenger has a functional ram air system which may add a little hp to the equation, better than the fake TA hood they offered with the mopar bucks program. They also used the super track pack items or the sway bars and the CAI. Not much performance over a standard R/T but enough to set it apart. If you like black exteriors with a colored stripe down the side. They are also numbered limited editions.
If you want a decked out R/T the 10 may be a good choice, personally i prefer other colors than black, and have outfitted mine to be as individualistic as the 10 is on my own. Still wouldn't be a bad choice. If you like it buy it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The mopar 10 challenger has a functional ram air system which may add a little hp to the equation, better than the fake TA hood they offered with the mopar bucks program. They also used the super track pack items or the sway bars and the CAI. Not much performance over a standard R/T but enough to set it apart. If you like black exteriors with a colored stripe down the side. They are also numbered limited editions.
If you want a decked out R/T the 10 may be a good choice, personally i prefer other colors than black, and have outfitted mine to be as individualistic as the 10 is on my own. Still wouldn't be a bad choice. If you like it buy it.
I thought I read somewhere Dodge claimed 390hp on the Mopar 10. If I come across it I'll post the link.

Ahh found it on the Allpar site.

More to the point, the 5.7 liter Hemi engine will have an R/T style hood scoop that pushes fresh air into the new cold air intake, which, taken together, should add around 15 hp, according to Mopar CEO Pietro Gorlier.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
the gain is subjective. Can't measure it on the dyno, and the extra air to the intake only occurs over 30mph, more likely above 60. But any extra cool air is better than no cool air. A couple of the people who've added a functional system say they feel a difference. I just hate to have imitation or non functional scoops on a car, but the new cars don't have a carburator anymore, if it had been the scoop would be functional already.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
After years of seeing claims of chips, i no longer believe the hype that a chip swap can make. I've got a predator tuner, and it can do everything the chip can do, and doesn't come close to 60hp. Not on a dyno at least. I doubt the 5.7 they put in the mopar10 is any different than the 5.7 they put in my own 2010 classic. Most think its under rated at 372hp, and a little fresh air could very well add 10hp to it, a good CAI can do that on other cars, so its possible it can do it on the 10. Its far more likely that the 5.7 puts out that much power already but they just choose not to claim it.
With the exhaust mods, the fresh air mods and the Predator and higher octane tune, i'm pretty positive it puts out close to 400hp, it doesn't feel that much less than the 430hp the previous car i had put out on a dyno. But unless i want to prove it on a track, the hp rating really doesn't matter that much. Most just like the way it looks, and thats good enough for me. I've got plenty of car toys that i've collected for the last 35 years, all are quick, all draw attention, but the challenger is the most recent, and the current daily driver, and i'm enjoying it while i have it. Just like you would if you bought a mopar10.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
the gain is subjective. Can't measure it on the dyno, and the extra air to the intake only occurs over 30mph, more likely above 60. But any extra cool air is better than no cool air. A couple of the people who've added a functional system say they feel a difference. I just hate to have imitation or non functional scoops on a car, but the new cars don't have a carburator anymore, if it had been the scoop would be functional already.
We dynoed my R/T last year. With air temps around 50 degrees, it dynoed 352 HP at the wheels. With the intake tube disconnected from the airbox, it dynoed ~358. Through a 6 speed, that works out to around 390 at the crank. This was with -no- tuning.
Of course, you're not going to be driving down the road with the hood open and the air intake disconnected, but it shows that it's not really too difficult to attain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts