Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just went over my pitch black challenger with Maguiars Ultimate compound and a DA buffer and got some weird speckles on the rear quarter panel. No idea what it is and couldn't buff them out. They weren't there before buffing (or at least they weren't visible before buffing) Any ideas?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Rim

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,063 Posts
What is the polisher you are using?

What pads?

Also, can you attach the pic to a new post (instead of inline insertion)? That will allow opening it as a separate file and zooming in on its contents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the polisher you are using?

What pads?

Also, can you attach the pic to a new post (instead of inline insertion)? That will allow opening it as a separate file and zooming in on its contents.
Hi Nuke, used Griot's garage 6" buffer and their orange foam pad.
I will see if I can add pic in next post by itself

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Hi Nuke, used Griot's garage 6" buffer and their orange foam pad.
I will see if I can add pic in next post by itself
Take a plastic bag (ziplock, etc.) and put a couple fingers inside of it, then gently drag those fingers across this area of the paint. Do you feel any bumps or irregularities? If so, get some detailer's clay or a Nanoskin mitt and remove the bonded contaminants first before machine polishing it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Rim

Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Take a plastic bag (ziplock, etc.) and put a couple fingers inside of it, then gently drag those fingers across this area of the paint. Do you feel any bumps or irregularities? If so, get some detailer's clay or a Nanoskin mitt and remove the bonded contaminants first before machine polishing it.
Didn't feel any bumps or irregularities. Felt very smooth

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Not sure what might be going on then...see if you can attach that pic so we can get a closer look at the artifacts you observe post-polish

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I reposted the pics in their own post. Did they not show up?
In looking at that bottom pic, i can see circular swirls. So either your polishing efforts were inadequate or introduced new swirls while trying to remove old ones. How many passes did you make with the product on that section?

Are you cleaning the pad(s) periodically to ensure product buildup isn’t hampering the effort?

What speed are you setting the polisher to for the passes?

The light colored splotches look like cast-off from a pad that had too much product applied and then turned on at too high of a speed. Can they be removed with some IPA on a MF towel?

Reactions: Stumblin Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a long, but light scratch on the back quarter panel (not in exact area where the speckles are, but right next to it), so I ended up doing around 4 passes. I started on that area with brand new pad. Started at 2 and went up to 5 (speed). I tried removing the speckles with more compound (likes dissolve likes usually), but I was afraid I'd make it worse. After the 4th pass, I looked over the area with an LED light and those speckles were not there. It wasn't until I came back around after buffing the rest of the car that I saw the speckles. I will try some IPA.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That looks like compound dusting. Either from the product or your speed is too high. Correction speed shouldn’t be above around 4, 3.5-4 is the sweet spot for most polishers and reduces heat and over working a polish which can result in dusting.

When you first add polish especially a foam pad place four small pea sized dots and mist with one spray of detail spray, that will help decrease any chance of a dry spot on the pad which can induce unintended swirling. It also helps reduce dusting.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Make sure you are not pushing down too hard on the machine head, causing it to stop rotating and just oscillate. That will cease to Polish at that point. An easy way to keep yourself honest in this regard is to put a verticals line with a permanent marker on the backside of the backing pad. Then watch that mark as you polish, making sure it is always spinning around. If it ever stops spinning and ans just starts oscillating back and forth in one spot, you’re pushing down too hard.

Make sure to clean the pad frequently and/or change it after every body panel.

Start off at 5 or 4 and stay there for the cutting or polishing. Save the lower speeds for wax application or removal.

Less is more when it comes to product application on the pad, especially after the initial application to a fresh pad.

Stick to one body panel until you have it looking like you want the rest of the car. Once that is done, apply whatever techniques you used there to the rest. (You may find this particular paint requires more passes or lower speeds, etc. No use in doing the whole car only to discover you’ll have to do it all again.)

Those are some of the tips I would offer to help make the job easier and increase the likelihood of success.

Reactions: Stumblin Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just tried some IPA and it made no difference. Like I posted earlier, the speckles are smooth.
When I worked on the car, I added 4 dime sized blobs of compound to the pad, spread it around the pad first time adding and then (with buffer off) dabbed over the panel with the coated pad before starting the buffer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That looks like left over rubbing compound. Take some polish ( not rubbing compound) with a fine foam pad mild speed to take that off careful on those corners and body lines.

Try getting ahold of some 3m compunds very high quality, there 3 step process never fails but it is pricey

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,507 Posts
I just tried some IPA and it made no difference. Like I posted earlier, the speckles are smooth.
When I worked on the car, I added 4 dime sized blobs of compound to the pad, spread it around the pad first time adding and then (with buffer off) dabbed over the panel with the coated pad before starting the buffer.
Orange pad is too abrasive for wax... I fear you have gone through the paint

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Orange pad is too abrasive for wax...
Works great with a cleaner wax when you have to fulfill a promise to Polish and wax a relative’s car for their bday, and you don’t feel like actually doing a full Polish followed by a full wax. 🤫

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was using Maguiars Ultimate Compound and that was the pad recommended. I did the entire car and that was the only area where this happened.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So by the top of the door you tried getting the spots out by rebuffing. I just looked at your pic again it just looks like compound splatter. I could see it being tricky if yuu let the are get to hot qhipe buffing it might make it a bit more challenging to get off

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,507 Posts
I was using Maguiars Ultimate Compound and that was the pad recommended. I did the entire car and that was the only area where this happened.
Hopefully I'm wrong.. With that I would have gone with the black then switched to red with the wax. Orange is a correcting pad typically used with a cutting compound. Maybe you just heated up the product. Try using some rubbing or denatured alcohol to see if it will come off.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
If you cannot feel anything with the bag test or with a fingernail, and they aren’t affected by IPA or subsequent polishing, then IDK. I’m out of ideas…

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So by the top of the door you tried getting the spots out by rebuffing
This is the back quarter panel. I did try lightly rebuffing the area, but no change. I was afraid to try anything more since I didn't know what it was and didn't want to make it worse.

If you cannot feel anything with the bag test or with a fingernail, and they aren’t affected by IPA or subsequent polishing, then IDK. I’m out of ideas…
Yeah, it is a stumper. I just bought the car, so no clue what could have been done to it before me. I was worried that I just uncovered something. Makes sense that it is compound dust (especially since it didn't show up until later...after it may have dried), but not sure why it won't budge. I may have to have someone take a look at it. I have someone coming out to take care of a heavier scratch, so I will have them look at that also. Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts