Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Barton shifter for my 16 SPS. I see a lot of good reviews about the Speed Dawg shift knobs, are they just nice accessories or do they serve any major benefit compared to stock or the one Ill be getting with the Barton shifter? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got the barton in my M6, and I also have a speeddawg shift knob. They are really nice shift knobs, and it's a little bigger than the knob that came with my barton shifter. I wouldn't say that it weighs any more or less than the barton knob, but it is definitely bigger in size. I would say go for it, worse case scenario you can just swap the knobs whenever you want. I've got the one that says challenger on the side with ralleye stripes that match the R/T stripes on the side of my car. Also if you are going to install the shifter yourself, the two pins are the hardest part, I recommend pushing them in a little bit while you turn them to unlock them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just ordered a Barton shifter for my 16 SPS. I see a lot of good reviews about the Speed Dawg shift knobs, are they just nice accessories or do they serve any major benefit compared to stock or the one Ill be getting with the Barton shifter? Any input is appreciated.
I liked the heaviness of the knob I got from Barton, but it lacked the look I was after. Got the Speed Dawg and its a little larger which I like. I can't recommend the combo of the two enough!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thanks for the input. Do you find the Speed Dawg knob a more comfortable size vs the Barton?

In a manual shifter lighter is better imo...Speed dawg sell licensed MOPAR stuff and I chose the white ball with scat pack bee on each side. The look and feel is fabulous I think and definitely better than the crappy knob we get form the factory.......The speed dawg is a very high quality part.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
In a manual shifter lighter is better imo...Speed dawg sell licensed MOPAR stuff and I chose the white ball with scat pack bee on each side. The look and feel is fabulous I think and definitely better than the crappy knob we get form the factory.......The speed dawg is a very high quality part.
Interesting. I just read posts here recently where folks were touting weighted shift knobs and the heavier knob supposed made shifting easier.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Interesting. I just read posts here recently where folks were touting weighted shift knobs and the heavier knob supposed made shifting easier.
The knob that came with the Barton certainly was heavy, but tat being said, the larger feel of the SD is really awesome and I have loved it so far, only driven a few miles since I installed the Barton, but loving it...and customizing the look cosmetically can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

Its my experience it numbs the feel plus...its heavier and to me lighter allows the shifter springs to work much better.... Also notice a lot of nascar shifters...they have balls with hole drilled into them and look like swiss cheese.... ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
No one here has a knob that weighs more than mine....and yes, a heavier shifter ball makes it shift easier.

Yea and we had that knob on my 04 Mach 1 lol and no, it didn't make it easier for me....Changing it was remarkably better with that car as well....

PS that stainless steel sumbich can get really hot in the summer too...

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Nope... stainless steel is pretty light. This is tungsten which weighs twice as much.

Horseshit, solid stainless steel is very heavy. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Stainless steel is actually less than half the weight of tungsten, regardless of shape.

A stainless ball weighs about a pound. Tungsten is a little over 2 pounds.

If you take off a plastic ball and change to a tungsten ball, the difference is undeniable, And stainless is pretty much in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,848 Posts
This from a guy with a 2 pound knob...

A Guy

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Stainless steel is actually less than half the weight of tungsten, regardless of shape.

A stainless ball weighs about a pound. Tungsten is a little over 2 pounds.

If you take off a plastic ball and change to a tungsten ball, the difference is undeniable, And stainless is pretty much in the middle.

dude....we were not comparing the two steels weight, that is your fantasy....stainless is a heavy metal relatively speaking is what I said and it is....I know that tungsten is heavier....

I also said lighter is better, which it is... :lol:

I actually don't give a shit what your favorite knob is. :grin2:

happy trails....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,848 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts