Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
This is something you have been asking about for a long time, and we finally have the answer! A true plug and play bolt in harness bar for your Challenger, which allows the installation of 5 point racing harnesses. The best part is it can be installed without any modification to the interior or seats.

15 years of designing and building parts is and always has been both
rewarding and challenging. Sometimes the challenges are extra rewarding,
case in point, our new Razors Edge Dodge Challenger Harness bar. While
sitting in a meeting room at Chrysler Headquarters in Auburn Hills MI.
enjoying some friendly banter with a few engineers about chassis parts,
they presented the challenge. "We'd like to see a bolt in harness bar
that is truly bolt in, no cutting or altering the interior". Our
engineer and fabricator looked at each other and said "you're on". Now
almost a year later we won. The result is a completely bolt in 4130
Cro-moly harness bar that utilizes existing locations within the car for
mounting, fits with the back seat in place or with one of our rear seat
delete kits. The main hoop and down tubes can be quickly and easily
removed to allow full access and use of the back seat. It's rattle free
and adjustable. Hours of FEA testing have gone into this part to insure
the safest design possible as well as providing a big increase in
chassis rigidity.

Available in wrinkle black or gloss black, white, red, yellow or silver powdercoat finish. Paint match is also available in all OEM colors.

For more information or to order click here:
Bolt-in Harness Bar 08-17 Challenger

·
Registered
675 Posts
AMAZING ! Another great quality innovation for the Challenger by Speedlogix. The availability for
a 5 point harness in a bolt in application is something that I may have missed, but certain
I have never seen. The addition of substantial chassis rigidity is a + + +.
Timing is everything...this would be perfect in a car with over 700 HP!
Best of luck with this!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
What's it weigh?
Any pictures without the rear seat delete?
Does it bolt under the carpeting?
Is the yellow close to SY or DY?
How hard is it to do install those seat belts? Where does the lower part hook up to?
Looks amazing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What's it weigh?
Any pictures without the rear seat delete?
Does it bolt under the carpeting?
Is the yellow close to SY or DY?
How hard is it to do install those seat belts? Where does the lower part hook up to?
Looks amazing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
We will weigh a set and get a weight, pretty light as they are chromoly.
The yellow powdercoat is probably closer to detonator than stinger.
It bolts under the seat/seat delete depending which you have in your car.
Seat belts are pretty straight forward, you just need a harness bar like this to mount them properly.
Lower part of what? The seat belt or the harness bar?

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I have this in my car and it is AWESOME ..... it definitely tightened up the car and looks great .... and nothing like wrapping yourself in all those belts to stay in your seat and with FEA/crash testing you know it works and you get to keep your back seats .... I happen to already have the rear seat delete so ... no seats for me

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Some more information from the product engineer on this bolt in bar

"So glad to see this product finally coming to market!! As the guy who spent many (many!) hours with REM designing this at the request of MOPAR, I thought I'd chime in to answer some of the questions being asked.

What's the Point? If you have never driven your car on a road course or autocross, you may not have experienced just how inadequate the OEM (or really any 3-point system) is at keeping you in your seat. *As the lateral G's climb, you start sliding all over the place and end up using your arms, feet, knees, and anything else you can to try to keep yourself in the seat. *By comparison, when you strap in with a real harness, you can crank it down tight and focus on driving the car, not keeping yourself from being flung out of it! *If you haven't driven a car on track or autocross with a harness before, ask a buddy to try it out and then you will definitely get it.

Why do You Think We've Been Asking For This? That came directly from the folks at MOPAR. They said that a bolt-in harness bar is one of the most-requested accessories for these cars they get asked for but don't have. I did not see their "data," but based on their commitment to the project, I believe them 100%.

Okay, so if MOPAR Wanted it So Bad, Why Aren't They Selling it? You would have to ask the legal group there for the specifics, but it came down to liability (after 12 months of review). Now, before you go all wacky on them thinking it was too unsafe, it had nothing to do with that - it was more a question of altering - in any way - the NHTSA-approved OEM safety equipment. *The MOPAR engineering group reviewed and supported the product 100%.

Surely Using a Racing-Type Harness on the Street Will Cause Certain Death, no? Nope. This is one of those time-honored Internet arguments that I'm not going to get too tied up in, but here is the jist... Very few injuries incurred during rollover accidents have anything to do with "spinal" damage or compression injuries, they have a LOT more to do with the occupant moving around inside (and, sadly, often outside) the car. A good-quality 5+ point harness will do a lot better job of keeping you in the right position (middle of your seat!) so the other safety systems in the car can protect you. All the LX/LC (and, in fact every modern car) vehicles have built-in rollover protection - in fact the Challenger gets a 4-star rollover safety rating from NHTSA. If you want to read more about this issue, there is a good article here. My opinion here is not based on internet searches, but on my own conversations with OEM engineers, race engineers, safety engineers, and my experiences in designing safety systems.

But This Harness Bar Can't be as Safe as the OEM Belts, Right? Well, that was the whole design challenge MOPAR presented, and that was the reason I developed the center bracing for this bar which does not exist on any other harness bar (at least that I'm aware of). This bar will keep a 200-pound driver AND passenger safely restrained in a 20G frontal impact (that's a pretty solid hit). It will deform with those loads, but will not fail. We use two of the 3 OEM mounting hardpoints on each side, and add 4 more hard points that this mounts to. So, we've done our homework, and though I have no data other than FEA to "prove" how safe this is, I will say that I take my personal safety very seriously - to the point that I stopped doing racing instruction because I was so often in the right-seat of under-prepped cars. With this harness system in place (and my HANS device and helmet on!) I would feel much safer finding the limits of these cars than I would in a factory 3-point harness (which does not allow use of a HANS, btw).

So, like every product this one isn't for everybody. I would say anyone who regularly autocrosses or runs track days would definitely benefit, and that's who we designed it for. *You can install it when you need it, remove it without any signs it was ever there when you don't want it, and be safer and more in control while using it. Whether or not that's worth the money to you is up to you, but the product is sound.

If I missed any other questions, just ask.

Finally, here are a couple images of some of the FEA work we did early on to validate the bracing mechanism design. Both represent the 20G impact mentioned above, first picture is driver only, second picture is driver and passenger.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a few ?`s as I`m gonna have to wait a few months anyways. Will I have to cut anything in my car??I don`t plan to take out rear seats. Is there a way to get it mopar blue???(like the stripe on any mopar edition car). Thanks Travis

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a few ?`s as I`m gonna have to wait a few months anyways. Will I have to cut anything in my car??I don`t plan to take out rear seats. Is there a way to get it mopar blue???(like the stripe on any mopar edition car). Thanks Travis
This will fit with in modification with the factory rear seat. We can do custom powder coated colors, just adds additional lead time. Will need to see how close we can get to the Mopar blue.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Autocross, road race? Want to add 5 point harnesses to your car, without intrusion, or modification of the rear seats? This harness bar does all that! In stock at Speedlogix!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
it is fkn AWESOME .... you guys will love it .... just sayin

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I have this in my car and it is AWESOME ..... it definitely tightened up the car and looks great .... and nothing like wrapping yourself in all those belts to stay in your seat and with FEA/crash testing you know it works and you get to keep your back seats .... I happen to already have the rear seat delete so ... no seats for me
I have ordered the bolt-in harness and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Where/how did you mount your lap belts? I know your shoulder belts are wrap-around but are your lap belts wrap-around or bolt in?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.