Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Hemi,

I have a serious conundrum. I have installed a CAI, MBRP catback and DiabloSport Intune in my '09 SRT8 but i'm now ready for the next step in performance upgrades. I was all set to have a Stage 2R HHP cam (with springs/retainers) installed until I started getting labor quotes. Since i've always been one to do work myself (car maintenance to basement finish) I have a hard time paying double my hard costs for labor. I know it's a brutal install, and I understand my limitations, so self install is out. It's possible to go another direction and do LT headers (myself) with HF cats, but i've heard mixed reviews on actual gains as well as whether they would pass emissions or not, but that would give me more money to add something else possibly as well. Should I just bite the bullet and do the cam? Should I go another direction entirely? Help, please!

-Confused in Colorado

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Nitrous? That will leave some cash for other mods too. Just a thought

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
Throw a blower on it. You will likely be able to pick up one used when others are upgrading blowers.

That is a pretty simple install, so no labor costs. For an '09 you should also be able to get a very good price on a new one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Bronco_Nick

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nitrous with a good tune and all the goodies. 1200$ with everything. Simple install, best results.
Option 2, a used S/C setup
Option 3, swallow the mod bug and save for a S/C

·
Registered
321 Posts
Funny that you would post this. Only because I was thinking about this at work a few days ago. I have the same mods that you have on the same car. I also was thinking what to do next. The way I look at things is, if I have time and tools I will do it myself. A Cam is something I would not want to do by myself. I live in Iowa so it's hard to find a shop that works with Mopar that's not a mom and pop shop. The next thing that came to mind was Zex. I was thinking most bang for my $. Years ago I had a kit for my Honda just never installed it. I'm going to sell my Honda that I have not drove for about 4 years and spend that money on upgrades for my SRT. The Kit that's still New will go on SRT. I'm not sure what extra parts (longer lines, zex controller, ect.) I will need to upgrade the kit, but I think that is a better way to go. I too would like to have a SC, but all in do time. Keep us posted on what you are going to do.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
If you have a six speed you'll need to control the rear cradle to put any power to the ground effectively. I would get the Spohn rear suspension kit (LCAs and tension arms with delrin bushings) and go with solid aluminum cradle bushings or the Whiteline polyurethane cradle bushings. With the left over money get a Barton shifter.

Reactions: turner56

·
Banned
553 Posts
If you have a six speed you'll need to control the rear cradle to put any power to the ground effectively. I would get the Spohn rear suspension kit (LCAs and tension arms with delrin bushings) and go with solid aluminum cradle bushings or the Whiteline polyurethane cradle bushings. With the left over money get a Barton shifter.
I don't think this would be an issue with the amount of power OP is talking. Even the 392 with Maggie 8lb (6 speed) did not have issues on the road. Yes, you could smoke them if you like, but I never felt I needed to upgrade the cradle. Also, keep in mind, the car drives pretty much like normal until you kick into boost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Throw a blower on it. You will likely be able to pick up one used when others are upgrading blowers.

That is a pretty simple install, so no labor costs. For an '09 you should also be able to get a very good price on a new one.

Thanks to this suggestion I was able to pick up a very gently used supercharger at a great price. I will end up a touch over my budget after adding new injectors, but I think the result will be epic!

·
Banned
553 Posts
Thanks to this suggestion I was able to pick up a very gently used supercharger at a great price. I will end up a touch over my budget after adding new injectors, but I think the result will be epic!

Awesome. Keep us posted on your progress. Look forward to hearing how you like the results.

You will need a new tune when you install the blower. There are a few really good tuners out there. PM me if you want any suggestions.

:)

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
A cam install is not that hard all.. it just takes a little time... for me the hardest part was the tune... finally got a tune from A.J .

AJ did my blower tune, and will tune the 426/Maggie. I ordered an Arrington 426, upgraded to take over 20lb of boost when I upgrade the Maggie. That is how blowers become available - we know it works, it blew a 392! :) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts