Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge is trying to discourage the practice of keeping the yellow splitter protectors on after delivery.

All new Challengers will be delivered with hot pink protectors.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Dodge is trying to discourage the practice of keeping the yellow splitter protectors on after delivery.

All new Challengers will be delivered with hot pink protectors.

View attachment 985818
This is the silliest thing.

Dodge had to offer $10/HP discounts. While sales of its Jeep and truck lines is up there is a big move away from passenger cars. And Dodge is worried about the splitters being left on? Dodge would be better to be worried about an over supply of those damn pink splitters because the number of cars it ships that need these is way down.

The splitter protectors come with instructions molded in the plastic to the dealer to remove these. And when I asked for the ones on my car to be removed I was told they are supposed to be left on. And yet Dodge worries about the color?

Dodge management is dumb as a bunch of rocks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
personally the only reason that i left mine on was my car is yellow jacket. now the pink should discourage them. went to local auto show & saw redeye for first time. was disappoint in the badging, the red was so faint on the eye i couldn't even see it. for 20k more i'd want a more differentiated badge from the hellcat, ford had the same issue the gt500 was only in 1 spot & verily noticable, but the big super snakes did help. new vette was ok. car that i really like was the new supra, but 300hp would be a deal killer.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Agreed, Rockster. Not sure why Dodge would spend the time and/or energy worrying about this. They are clearly marked that they are to be removed. Some dealers do that, others don't know what to do with them. So, it should be left up to the buyers. And even they don't know what to do with them!!o_O

I recycled mine. They look ridiculous left on a car. But, those of you that like them, now ride with the pink!

IMG_1398.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
just wait until someone tries to have a warranty claim on scuffs on their front spoiler / splitter

Drive around with them on - the grit and road grime that accumulates (more so driving in rain) and there'll be visible scuffing where the splitter and the guards are.
then owner will try to claim the spoiler had blemishes of damage when they took delivery of it.

-some think its a "styling accessory" and want them left on. So much so, many dealer leave them on unless the buyer requests it be removed.

The early years SRTs had hang tags on the rearview mirror so that drivers would be aware that the extended spoiler could get scraped / scuffed or damaged loading / unloading or railcars or transporter trucks.

When the newer '11+ spoiler came along it projected out further and lower and the '15s look like the suspension ride heights changed and spoiler clearance was enough of an issue that shipping protectors were being installed on the assembly line to prevent in-field warranty claims.

FCA should have had these molded in bright splotchy colors - that would have discouraged this whole nonsense of leaving them on.

I've teased people that they might as well leave the plastic on the seats, the plastic covered the wheel centers, the steering wheel cover and the thick plastic wrap that is between the taillights...go big or go home...

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
I agree they don't look good, except on Yellow cars, I get it. Maybe on an all black one with some other yellow accents.
What everyone is ignoring is, they are designed purely for shipping protection, not driving protection. They may not be approved for something like crash tests and they are not allowed to leave them on.
But what I don't understand is, seeing how many people like them, why not make an actual approved accessory, and sell them? Offer them in what ever color your car it, or at least a matching black to the actual piece of plastic it protects. All I know is I wouldn't trust them to stay on at high speeds if they weren't designed for it.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
when someone whacks into a curb or parking stop and damages the front splitter - they'll find out they won't do any good.

For going in / out of driveways or parking lots it would help, but after a few scrapes, they'll wear through

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
just wait until someone tries to have a warranty claim on scuffs on their front spoiler / splitter

Drive around with them on - the grit and road grime that accumulates (more so driving in rain) and there'll be visible scuffing where the splitter and the guards are.
then owner will try to claim the spoiler had blemishes of damage when they took delivery of it.

-some think its a "styling accessory" and want them left on. So much so, many dealer leave them on unless the buyer requests it be removed.

The early years SRTs had hang tags on the rearview mirror so that drivers would be aware that the extended spoiler could get scraped / scuffed or damaged loading / unloading or railcars or transporter trucks.

When the newer '11+ spoiler came along it projected out further and lower and the '15s look like the suspension ride heights changed and spoiler clearance was enough of an issue that shipping protectors were being installed on the assembly line to prevent in-field warranty claims.

FCA should have had these molded in bright splotchy colors - that would have discouraged this whole nonsense of leaving them on.

I've teased people that they might as well leave the plastic on the seats, the plastic covered the wheel centers, the steering wheel cover and the thick plastic wrap that is between the taillights...go big or go home...
It is molded in the plastic to be removed by dealer. Dodge has dealers that can't perform this simple basic pre delivery preparation.

Interesting that Dodge is not talking about coming up with a color of the tire pressure readouts that if the tire pressures are too high the customer objects and requests the tire pressures be lowered. I guess Dodge is ok with its dealers sending customers out with the tires over inflated to unsafe levels but God forbid it sends the customers out with those ugly protectors.

So if the dealer fails to do its job Dodge is wasting time and money to come up with a color that is intended to cause the buyer to object to their presence and insist the protectors be removed? And what if as was the case when I asked the protectors be removed and was told they are supposed to stay on? Dodge better pick a color the dealers object to.

This whole business of picking a color for the splitter shipping protectors is like picking what color of paint to paint the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Given the challenges car makers face and Dodge in particular the level of stupid at Dodge is amazing.

·
Super Moderator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2009 SRT came with a mirror-mounted Caution Tag and a welcome placard stating under "Body & Exterior":

"Fascias and Ground Effects- this vehicle has a unique exterior appearance which includes SRT unique fascias and ground effects. These exterior components define the style and appearance of your new vehicle. They also cause a lower approach angle in front of the vehicle and reduced ground clearance. due to lower ground clearance, driving your vehicle up steep driveways, approach ramps, or near parking blocks may cause damage to the front fascia and ground effects. Caution should be taken when driving through water or snow more than 4 inches deep to avoid any potential damage to your vehicle."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
You threw $100+ dollars away...

I sold mine on ebay and reduced the cost of my car. (y)
Dang it! But wait, I didn't throw the money away, I recycled it away. Somehow that makes it sound better...:oops:

·
Registered
2019 Sublime R/T Blacktop
45 Posts
I swear I don’t see why people care so much about these! I kept mine on but plasti dipped them in black to match. I have a steep driveway so if I don’t come in at an angle it scrapes. The splitters have saved the corners but not the middle. I wish I had one that goes all the way across like the Hellcats.

Side note, my salesman said they can come off but people like them. They stopped taking them off after they had to fire a salesman after he was caught taking them out of the trash and selling them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I swear I don’t see why people care so much about these! I kept mine on but plasti dipped them in black to match. I have a steep driveway so if I don’t come in at an angle it scrapes. The splitters have saved the corners but not the middle. I wish I had one that goes all the way across like the Hellcats.

Side note, my salesman said they can come off but people like them. They stopped taking them off after they had to fire a salesman after he was caught taking them out of the trash and selling them.
I've asked this same question as far as how to protect the splitter

I decided to remove the yellow things and install these. Much cleaner look and it protects the whole area. If you keep these yellow throwaways on it will cause permanent damage when you remove them from debris getting in and also the pressure it puts on the splitter will damage it

·
Registered
980 Posts
Random thoughts...

Do a search on eBay for “Challenger splitter guard” and you’ll find tons there for sale. And not cheap, either, as was pointed out.

Why would a salesman be fired for rooting through trash? Makes no sense to me, unless he were pressuring new owners to let him “dispose of those useless guards” for them.

The above ref’d eBay search will reveal pink guards soon. For crazy money. And the now out-of-circulation yellow ones will go for even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,864 Posts
It is molded in the plastic to be removed by dealer. Dodge has dealers that can't perform this simple basic pre delivery preparation.

Interesting that Dodge is not talking about coming up with a color of the tire pressure readouts that if the tire pressures are too high the customer objects and requests the tire pressures be lowered. I guess Dodge is ok with its dealers sending customers out with the tires over inflated to unsafe levels but God forbid it sends the customers out with those ugly protectors.

So if the dealer fails to do its job Dodge is wasting time and money to come up with a color that is intended to cause the buyer to object to their presence and insist the protectors be removed? And what if as was the case when I asked the protectors be removed and was told they are supposed to stay on? Dodge better pick a color the dealers object to.

This whole business of picking a color for the splitter shipping protectors is like picking what color of paint to paint the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Given the challenges car makers face and Dodge in particular the level of stupid at Dodge is amazing.
Because just like some of the members of this community, or the MOPAR community in general, some higher up at Dodge is foaming at the mouth over what other people do with their own property and that just cannot ducking stand.

The sad part is that this loser who gets paid too much, instead of turning this into an opportunity to sell OEM MOPAR alternative, he made the current yellow protectors even more expensive and desirable.

I'm sure I'll see one out in the wild at some point with the pink protector still on and one of those breast cancer license plate frames to match.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts