Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am putting a spolier (OEM) on my "project car". I was wondering if I can just use 3M double sided adhesive tape to affix it onto a decklid without any drilling. I do not want to drill into the decklid at all.

I would assume that the bottom of the OEM spolier is smooth?

Do I need to be concerned with anything on the spolier not affixing correctly? (the spolier should arrive in the next few days)

Thanks for the help and any pointers/tips you can provide for a proper and semi-perm install.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
+1 on that and make sure you get plenty of tape under it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
there are 2 threaded bolts on each end that HAVE to be drilled for. if you don't use them, you'll get wind chatter on the outter edges and it will wear through the paint on the deck lid or worse you will lose the spoiler all together,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I've worked the automotive circuit for many years - be sure to use extra heavy use OEM 3m tape (not the standard black rubber 2-sided tape found in hardware stores).

Search for this on the Internet:
3M Scotch 06394 Automotive Attachment Tape

Designed for reliable attachment of a wide variety of automotive exterior and interior trim including running boards, ground effects, claddings, rocker panel moldings, spoilers, wheel flares, bumper trim and other larger or heavier automotive trim components.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what now..please help w/ aftermarket

Holy Crap!

Ok I called my parts guy and cancelled the order as I did not know what mod I would need to do and the potential damage it could cause to the paint with the bolt needing to be sheared off.

(he did not know about this and thank me (you guys) for the 411)

Now what aftermarket spoiler can I get that will be smooth and only needs the heavy duty 3m tape to get a clean and non damaging fit?

I will take any suggestions or obvious sales pitches:)

Thanks all for your help and my salvation in not dmg's the decklid!

·
Registered
909 Posts
The aftermarket spoiler I bought on eBay was smooth on the bottom but came with bolts that you pushed through the underneath of the trunk lid into the spoiler. so you could use this without the bolts. I don't know if I can put that eBay vendor's name here (rules) so PM me if you want their eBay name. BTW that 3M Scotch attachment tape is great stuff.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I decided to drill all 5 of mine so i can sleep better at night...lol...it really is about a 30 min install that is if you have all the correct tools!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used the 2 outer bolt holes and used the extra strength double sided tape (3m scotch)..you don't wanna use the regular strength..I hear it won't hold..

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm sure the tape only will work just fine...just don't drive it!! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
the tape will only hold so much....you still need the 2 outer holes drilled to hold it tight....or it might end up on someone elses car at highway speeds....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I decided to drill all 5 of mine so i can sleep better at night...lol...it really is about a 30 min install that is if you have all the correct tools!!
Me too, I've seen too many vent-visors flopping in the breeze and some even fly off being held on by 3M tape. After all it's not that difficult if you take your time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts