Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I buy Meguiars stuff it comes with their nice sponge applicator and its great but buying those type of applicators individually, they are ridiculous prices, IMO. I went and straight up bought a pack of dish washing sponges to use as applicators for cheap. I like to throw them away when I'm done anyways. But I'm wondering if anyone knows or uses a bulk pack of applicators like on Amazon or something?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Pack of 4 for $7.59 on ebay doesn't seem that bad. I wash them and reuse though.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
I've been using the rectangular microfiber to polish my painted under hood pieces.

Applicator

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Like A Guy, I prefer the microfiber applicators; they don't seem to soak up as much product, thus allowing for a more controlled application.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,704 Posts
That's a good price depending on how they work. Please let us know when you try them.

I just got some foam ones from Autogeek on sale (along with some other goodies :)) because they provide a better finish than mf ones. This is because they're smooth and allow the wax/sealer/glaze to be put on thinner. I can use a foam pad and put wax on that is as thin as if I put it on with my buffer.

When you see someone do any work on paint using a buffer, they have a foam pad on it. Granted, this is because you can pick the density and cut of the buffing pad. You can't do that with microfiber. The foam gives more control over spreading the product.

Taking the product off is another story. Then you can't beat a good, quality microfiber towel/rag.

In closing, if you've ever seen A Guy's or PavaSteeler's Challengers, they do know what they're talking about and it shows, but I just tend to favor foam.

I guess it's a matter of preference.

My advice is to try them both and see which you like better (do one half with mf and the other half using foam).

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I use the applicators that I linked to apply sealer and finishing glaze, they work great. For waxes, I use the foam hex applicators from Adams.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
To be up front, my car is coated, so that finish isn't from me polishing, lol. I just apply Reload with Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile. All my polishing is under hood plastic painted pieces. PaVaSteeler however deserves the credit for his finish ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,704 Posts
To be up front, my car is coated, so that finish isn't from me polishing, lol. I just apply Reload with Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile. All my polishing is under hood plastic painted pieces. PaVaSteeler however deserves the credit for his finish ;)

A Guy
Someone polished her though (and I'll bet they used a foam pad on a buffer and not a microfiber pad :D). and it's one of the nicest black finishes that I've seen on this forum (Pava's is pretty special too).

From the pictures of your underhood pieces that you painted, you know what you're doing though. So your opinion does carry some weight with me. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
This was how my old RT looked before I traded it in. Not coated, and I had not started using a sealer yet. I polished this myself as it was a former rental car, used the Adams foam pads. I loved black for the 15 minutes or so that it remained clean, but Go Mango is so much easier to take care of.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,704 Posts
This was how my old RT looked before I traded it in. Not coated, and I had not started using a sealer yet. I polished this myself as it was a former rental car, used the Adams foam pads. I loved black for the 15 minutes or so that it remained clean, but Go Mango is so much easier to take care of.
You did a Great job on your old Shaker! That paint is Deep!

She's a Beauty car too! :thumbsup:

That would be Immaculate Reflections - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums our newest sponsoring vendor. @IRdetail could speak to what he used...but he may then have to kill you :)

A Guy
Thanks for the info A Guy.

I don't want to know that badly what he used if it comes down to that! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually went ahead and bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SWNGGAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also aquired a Meguiars applicator, too, through a purchase of the Gold Class Carnauba paste wax tin.

The Meguiars applicator is literally just two of the cheap ones I bought, adhered together at the edges with the addition of their logo stamped on one side. Like you can take it apart and have two of the cheap ones but they charge you like $4 for the premium one the unnecessary logo. Even the cheap ones I don't like. If they were like $1 for the pack of 10 then I'd be satisfied with the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts