Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a ‘17 GT. When I press my sport button it will turn on my AWD. I am not sure what else it does. I tend to use it when I am feeling like getting a jump off the line. With all 4 tires going, I don’t have the wheel spin when I press the gas hard.
Other times I use it is if I park in grassy areas. I turn on the AWD to prevent getting stuck - just in case.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I never really notice a difference using it on my R/T. My steering is Always in sport mode and I almost always put my Automatic in "Manual mode" and I almost always drive at WOT unless running up the freeway then I am at about 3/4 throttle unless I need to "goose it" to pass someone. Even around town I slow down to 50 for school zones though, I am not a total maniac. I do not understand the term "Spirited Driving" as I suppose I always drive that way. Heck I have done burnouts leaving the police station after paying a camera speeding ticket.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
Maybe in your case "Spirited" means "Possessed"? :)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I push mine on my 2014 R/T Plus and a little checkered flag appears on the dash. It means "prepare to win" !!:grin2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Uhhh.. Traffic tickets? Really bad ride? Worse tree branches in the grill.

Anyway on my 2012 it will bounce you over the top and actually help you lose control because the tires are in air over the little bumps. You just lose traction and loosen your dentures.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
So the Census is this, read your owners manual.

The botton does something different based on this:

Stick or auto
Year
options

The auto cars get the most bank for the buck.

For me I JUST turns the shocks on or off, that's it.

2014 SRT8 STICK

·
Registered
716 Posts
Spirited means your car drank an 18 oz cup of expresso.

·
Registered
269 Posts
sport mode

Mine is a 2019 R/T. I drive it in Sport Mode all the time. It handles better, sounds better and the upshifts and downshifts are quicker. It holds the gears longer when accelerating. Best sounding exhaust in a stock, new car I have ever had.
I agree with what 'Capevettes' says with exhaust sound changes. I think it makes a deeper/lower sound . Wifey says it 'growls.

Went into Sport mode for first time this past weekend. I don't know about it holding a gear longer, as I keep it in manual mode all the time. When I clicked the sport mode button, the traction control was turned off. The indicator light showing that it is off, lit up. I think the torque converter locks up immediately in each gear. It does have a firm ride in sport mode which I like. Now I have some special 'widget' screens that show up in 'Sport mode' that show the status of various systems. Those choices are cool. Dodge did very well with attention to details with this car. All these little small items add up to give you a great driving experience. This makes you feel good and puts a grin on your face. Wifey says I have a grin the whole time I am driving the Challenger.
I'll have to try the other modes.
Have a good one.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
Is it detrimental to the car to drive in sport mode all of the time?
Is it detrimental to the car to drive in sport mode all of the time?
no - on '17+ models it disables MDS on the V8 R/T and Scat Pack and for M6 models it disables the skip shift operation as well

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
835 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
179 Posts
You aren't going fast enough. Mine is in 8 at like 65. 7 won't come until about 55. Of course, I'm talking about it being in auto mode. If it's in manual, I can go to 8 at 50. Below that it won't let me shift to 8.
Nope, mine dont go to 8th either on the freeway. I have to turn Sport off for the RPM to drop. Mine is 2018 RT

21 - 33 of 33 Posts