Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went from a M6 R/T with no STP to an A8 with it and was trying out sport mode.

Noticing on highway driving when approaching a red light and slowing down the car downshifts in a fairly jerky fashion (which it does not do in normal mode). You feel the gear slowing the car down as opposed to a smoother decelerate.

Is this normal activity in sport mode?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My SRT does it, too. I have other automatic cars that downshift as you slow, but this is different. Sometimes you are applying the brakes the right amount, and suddenly it shifts, and you lurch forward, and need to apply more or less brake pressure to keep slowing at the same rate. It's fairly unpredictable. This difference is probably caused by the many short gears in the transmission.

If you think it's more clunky than it should be, there may be a TSB that the dealer can apply to soften the downshifts. Some have said it helped, and some say it didn't.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My SRT does it, too. I have other automatic cars that downshift as you slow, but this is different. Sometimes you are applying the brakes the right amount, and suddenly it shifts, and you lurch forward, and need to apply more or less brake pressure to keep slowing at the same rate. It's fairly unpredictable. This difference is probably caused by the many short gears in the transmission.

If you think it's more clunky than it should be, there may be a TSB that the dealer can apply to soften the downshifts. Some have said it helped, and some say it didn't.
Doesn't really bother me, its just been 5 years since I drove an auto and just want to be sure, used to have a lot of transmission problems with the old crap I used to drive, the automatics that is.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My A8 SPS does downshift, but I would not characterize it as jerky. Once the computer realizes that I have taken my foot off the brake it shifts down rapidly, but I'd say rather smoothly until it hits 4th gear. From then on it takes quite a bit of time until it finally shifts into 3rd and the lower gears. And yes, I think it does shift down a bit more aggressively compared to normal mode.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Dodge published a TSB about erratic shifting late in 2016. When I had my 2016 Scat Pack serviced in March they flashed the TCM, the transmission downshifts much smoother now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts