Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone. This is my first new post on the forum, been lurking since I bought my Challenger back in 2014, definitely learned a lot along the way.

I have a 2013 SXT base, no leather, fog lights, etc that I've added all the cosmetic stuff and now I'm working my way to the performance side of things. My car came without sport mode, and wanted to know if it can be added? I know Afterhours Mopar used to do it down here in South Florida for 11-14 Chargers before they closed down, but I don't know if it's possible since MY2013 Challengers didn't come with the 8.4 interface.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
I don't know the specifics, but I have to imagine the answer is no. It's not just something you plug in...well, it may be, in the PCM...but they are model, even VIN specific. A Guy

·
Registered
261 Posts
You don't need the 8.4 interface to get sport mode. Lots of the 5.0's have it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't like the OEM Sport Mode. Well, I sort of do. I like the ability to rev and hold gears a bit more. But what I don't like is that it does not shift out of 6th gear.

I understand 7th and 8th is for MPG, but if it can shift into 6+, that would be perfect. And I would leave it on, and make it my normal driving mode.

So maybe it (SXT V6) needs 3 mode. 1. Normal. 2. Sport (what I wish). 3. Track. The perfect plan IMO.

·
Registered
752 Posts
What does sport mode do?
Because I don't track the car, I can't comment if the steering feels any different. I can't tell if it's faster. Throttle seem to be more aggressive (that may have to do with the transmission). Like the engine gets mad more. But it does hold the gear longer and in certain situations, like a turn. It also changes the rev mapping I think. I actually like it in Sport Mode, except that it does not seem to shift out of 6th gear. In my DD, I like that "aggressiveness." But once I get out in the open, I like to just cruise. Just my unscientific observation.

And on command of my right foot, go back to (V6 version of) Beast Mode.

I suppose to can press the Sport Mode button, on and off. But I rather select it once. If I have think about it in a traffic situation, then react, it sort of defeat the point (and advantage).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
What does sport mode do?
Depends on the model/engine combo. For cars like mine with no driving or performance modes:

SPORT MODE — WITHOUT PERFORMANCE CONTROL

Your vehicle is equipped with a Sport Mode feature. This mode is a configuration set up for typical enthusiast driving. The engine, transmission (when equipped with automatic transmission), and steering systems are all set to their SPORT settings. Sport Mode will provide improved throttle response and modified shifting for an enhanced driving experience, as well the greatest amount of steering feel. This mode may be activated and deactivated by pushing the Sport button on the instrument panel switch bank.
For cars with packages/engines that have Drive modes or Performance modes, you can set what it does. If you have the owners manual, or user manual, you can search for Sport mode in that for a more thorough explanation.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
Don't you have a 16 SXT Plus? It was not standard on SXT Plus?
I have a Sport mode button, yes. But sport is different when you have drive/performance modes. A Guy

·
Registered
184 Posts
OP has a 2013 SXT plus, in which case "SPORT" mode is basically a button that will make the car hold gears a bit longer before shifting. Basically its a button to dump fuel. Doesn't do anything else.

I have the 2012 SXT super sport with the paddle shifters. Used sport mode once, after i realized how useless it is. I havent touched it since.

My advice would be to leave the car as it is, do an exhaust, upgrade the suspension a bit, make it yours. But if you want performance. Save up for one of the V8's.

Dont get me wrong, the 3.6L is great, i love it. And as much as i want to trade up for a scat pack, i cant let go of my neck breaking header orange v6.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
Rather than start a new thread to ask this but has anyone (with a working sport mode) and a cracked PCM data log what the sport mode actually does? I was thinking of tests where (1) the car is set to minimum cruise control speed in normal mode and then the sport mode is activated or (2) slowly accelerate the car in normal then sport mode and monitor pedal, throttle and timing for any abrupt changes. I was thinking this would give an idea of how much throttle boost is added by sport mode. Anyone try this?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sport mode doesn't do anything on the '15/'16 M6 cars. You can pop off the button and you'll be good.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
Sport mode doesn't do anything on the '15/'16 M6 cars. You can pop off the button and you'll be good.
Are you sure? When my sport mode WAS working I would notice a bump in throttle response. If it does nothing then why even make a button for it?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Are you sure? When my sport mode WAS working I would notice a bump in throttle response. If it does nothing then why even make a button for it?
To upsell you when went to buy the Challenger then they decided that they are going to replace it with a placebo button which you will need to go to the dealership for them to replace. The button will be labeled "Feel Good" but it doesn't actually do anything.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
To upsell you when went to buy the Challenger then they decided that they are going to replace it with a placebo button which you will need to go to the dealership for them to replace. The button will be labeled "Feel Good" but it doesn't actually do anything.
Does that mean sport mode steering does nada? Next thing your going to tell me is Santa ain't real.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts