Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a new 2014 Challenger RT and wanted to see what opinions are about the Sport Track Package. Dodge's site says it gives it different steering, upgrades suspension, and I think better tires as well. I might be missing something as well. I really just want to know if it's worth the extra money. I priced up one with the options I want and it came out to right at my budget, so I don't really want to go more. I don't plan on driving it like a race car or anything. It's going to be my weekend, pleasure car.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I believe you are referring to the Super Track Package, and while I don't have an R/T, everyone says it is very much worth the extra $$$. Basically a no-brainer considering it is not very expensive for what you get.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
For the price, you get a better out-of-the-box suspension w/o having to buy parts and have someone install them (if you're not a DIY person). The STP includes 20" wheels as part of that package.

Also, if you're getting the automatic R/T, spring for the limited slip (anti-spin) differential option. You can't even get the parts alone for the $275 option price.

Also, the anti-spin differential axle is standard on the 6-speed manual cars.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Don't buy it WITHOUT it....

PERIOD. It costs $600? Best bang for the buck on an RT. If you want to SAVE $$$$, start considering cutting OTHER options (sun roof, Auto Trans, HK Sound, Stripes, etc).

If you were limited to one option, this is the one you MUST buy. The car drive's like a Whale without it. My STP equipped RT was comparable in handling to my SRT. It was like SRT with "Sport Mode Off," or pre 2011 SRT's (which I've also driven before).

If you add performance mods, you'll need the brakes/handling to back it up.

If performance is not a priority for you, get a fully loaded SXT. Those cars have adequate performance for most drivers.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
"Whale", "skateboard", "what the cool kids do"... no subjective opinion can replace your personal experience. For the low price, along with LSD as Hal said, those are options not worth agonizing over. You need 'em or you don't.
I don't have them because I wanted to buy from a lot, I really didn't want the 20" wheels, and... while I can see what I'm missing I think that 'must-haves' is an exaggeration. The V8 was much more important to me.

It's really about what YOU want from the car. How you drive, where, how fast, etc. Are you planning to mod later and upgrade most components anyway? That kinda thing.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Other than having the Classic package, the Super Track Pack option was a no brainer for me. For the money, you get quite a bit of goodies, better handling, steering, and better brakes. I would highly recommend it. The ride is still very good, not that stiff at all.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep...

Other than having the Classic package, the Super Track Pack option was a no brainer for me. For the money, you get quite a bit of goodies, better handling, steering, and better brakes. I would highly recommend it. The ride is still very good, not that stiff at all.
The Classic is really a good buy. Also the Blacktop package. These offer 3.92 gears, Limited Slip, 20 inch rims as well as STP. I'm not sure, but I think the Redline RT package offers the same options.

·
Registered
314 Posts
IMO yes. It doesn't come with 20 inch wheels though as mentioned earlier, you have to have 20 inch wheels to get the STP.

I got the blacktop edition myself. It was a nice package that added some looks and some performance together.

The redline package gets HIDs instead of super track pack.

If you are a little flexible on some of the details, you can find some really good deals right now if you choose one off the lot.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's not a must have in my opinion but it is a wish I had if you get it with out stp. I drove a cousin of mines challenger before I bought mine (local dealers round here do not carry challengers cuz they don't sell here) his didn't have stp but when I ordered mine I looked at my budget and said screw it I'm gunna get it with stp I plan on keeping her for a long time. One day I get the chance to drive my cousins challenger again not very far but in the twisty part of the road I was like what the hell is wrong with this car. Then realized it was the stp now I am so glad I ordered it with it, and a manual felt weird to drive an auto challenger lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Definitely get it, it drives like a totally different car.
c26bt34c is right, it drives like a whale in comparison without the STP package.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Super Track Pack is worth it. Be careful though because a dealer might try and convince you that the anti-spin differential comes with the STP if you order the automatic transmission. One salesman tried that with me (wanted me to buy a Challenger on the lot, the window sticker didn't mention the anti spin) and I had a word with the sales manager over his salesman's aggressiveness and, well, lying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you guys mean by it drives like a "whale"? Like it's hard to steer?

Also, I'm having a little bit of information overload here. Sorry. I plan on getting the manual transmission, so does the STP (And yes, I meant to say Super in the original post) come with the anti-slip?

Here's what I plan on getting including options...

2014 Challenger RT
5.7L Hemi
Manual Transmission
Hood-to-Fender stripes
Sound Group II
UConnect 430
20in Wheels

And since the 20in wheels come with the STP, it does make sense to splurge for it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Without STP it's not hard to steer, it's too easy. It's very plush without a lot of feed back.

20 inch wheels do not come with STP, but you need 20 inch wheels to get STP. Since you are getting 20 inch wheels, STP is only 600 more. It's a bargain.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
For a car this heavy the beefier components of the STP makes it feel more agile and nimble. Without it it doesn't inspire confidence in the turns and is a bit plodding. And yes I have driven both and can say the STP is totally worth it. You'd regret not getting if you ever got the non-STP and got a chance to drive the STP. If you value performance and more stability at all speeds get the STP.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Also, I'm having a little bit of information overload here. Sorry. I plan on getting the manual transmission, so does the STP (And yes, I meant to say Super in the original post) come with the anti-slip?
All manual transmission R/T's come standard with Anti-Spin whether or not they have STP, the STP does not give you AS, the STP automatic will be open unless AS is also ordered.

Here's what I plan on getting including options...

2014 Challenger RT
5.7L Hemi
Manual Transmission
Hood-to-Fender stripes
Sound Group II
UConnect 430
20in Wheels

And since the 20in wheels come with the STP, it does make sense to splurge for it.
Nice options. You can get the Chrome Clads or get the Blacktop stripe delete in certain colors then add the fender stripes. What color you getting? Can also now order the Garmin Nav 430N again, works pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty convinced now. I'm probably going to get it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Hey Slidd, can you explain what stripe you are referring to when you say Blacktop? And as far color, I don't know yet. I think white with red stripes is nice, but white is so hard to keep clean. Same with black. I'm thinking maybe the dark gray, granite something I think is what they call it, with either white or red stripes. I would love to get the stripes down the sides but I don't think you can get them on just an RT.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm pretty convinced now. I'm probably going to get it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Hey Slidd, can you explain what stripe you are referring to when you say Blacktop?
Here's a link to the challenger packages page 2014 Dodge Challenger - Blacktop and R/T Redline Special Editions

The nice thing about the Blacktop package is it comes with 20" rims and STP as part of the package for $2000.00 but if you opt to have the stripes deleted you can get a blacktop package for $1500.00. To get STP on a base R/T you'd need to add 20" wheels and the cheepest 20" wheels are chrome clads at $1300.00 and then another $600 for STP. So you'd spend $1900.00 in options to add STP to a base R/T. Originally you could only get Black, Granite, or Silver colored blacktops but from the 2014 broucher it looks like you could also get header orange if you opted for the stripe delete.

If you're buying an R/T Classic STP is really an easy choice since it's only another $600.00. I was going to order a stripe deleted blacktop until I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts

Hey Slidd, can you explain what stripe you are referring to when you say Blacktop? And as far color, I don't know yet. I think white with red stripes is nice, but white is so hard to keep clean. Same with black. I'm thinking maybe the dark gray, granite something I think is what they call it, with either white or red stripes. I would love to get the stripes down the sides but I don't think you can get them on just an RT.
Bright white is awesome, and it is easier to keep clean than black any day! No matter what, get STP. It may only be a few more $ a month over the entire duration of the loan. It's worth it!

See how awesome Bright White looks..........:beer_yum:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts