Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several post and threads concerning weight and length.

I think this is the difference between muscle cars and sports cars.
I maybe wrong but the muscle cars of the past were "big" while sports cars were smaller.

The new Challanger is by far a muscle car where large in this case is good.
I like a large car with 'go' off the start(torque) and the Challanger brings that back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To me...

A Musclecar IS a Sportscar

A Sportscar however is not always a Musclecar

The definition of either varies depending on how you feel about each.

T
0 Posts
E-Body said:
To me...

Couldn't have said it any better, a muscle car is a sports car, however a sports car is not always muscle car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It used to be a musclecar is better suited for straight line dragging, while a sportscar was for racing, but the lines between both have really blurred.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wikipedia defines a muscle car as:

The term muscle car generally describes a mid-size car with a large, powerful engine (typically, although not universally, a V8 engine) and special trim, intended for maximum acceleration on the street or in drag racing competition. It is distinguished from sports cars, which were customarily considered smaller, two-seat cars, or GTs, two-seat or 2+2 cars intended for high-speed touring and possibly road racing. High-performance full-size or compact cars are arguably excluded from this category, as are the breed of compact sports coupes inspired by the Ford Mustang and typically known as pony cars, although few would dispute a big-block pony car's credentials as a muscle car.
An alternate definition is based on power-to-weight ratio, defining a muscle car as an automobile with (for example) fewer than 12 pounds per rated horsepower. Such definitions are inexact, thanks to a wide variation in curb weight depending on options and to the questionable nature of the SAE gross horsepower ratings in use before 1972, which were often deliberately overstated or underrated for various reasons.

·
Registered
102 Posts
tekhen said:
I've read several post and threads concerning weight and length.

I think this is the difference between muscle cars and sports cars.
I maybe wrong but the muscle cars of the past were "big" while sports cars were smaller.

The new Challanger is by far a muscle car where large in this case is good.
I like a large car with 'go' off the start(torque) and the Challenger brings that back.
In my book the Challenger will be a true muscle car, but not a sports car.

IMHO, the best definition of a sports car, is the capability of going from point A to point B in the most efficient way, meaning in the shortest possible time, no matter what type of road it would have to tackle.
Now, a muscle car, IMHO has most of what a sport cars has, but lacks in the fact that, due to its weight and sheer size, it would be at a clear disadvantage in roads/road courses where turns are involved.

Now, I love the Challenger because it will be a muscle car, that's what I want. But I don't kid myself into thinking it will be a sports car. Example: if someone in a Porsche 911S would ask me to take a few laps against him at the old Nuerburgring (it has over 160 curves for each lap), I would probably decline because that's a sports car, very well suited in this type of racing.
While if the same guy would ask me to do some drag racing, I would be willing to accept his challenge.

Finally, there is no shame in the fact the Challenger is a muscle car, no shame at all. But if people in this forum are looking for a true sport cars, they better look elsewhere.
My $0.02

·
Registered
17 Posts
Legion681 said:
In my book the Challenger will be a true muscle car, but not a sports car.

IMHO, the best definition of a sports car, is the capability of going from point A to point B in the most efficient way, meaning in the shortest possible time, no matter what type of road it would have to tackle.
Now, a muscle car, IMHO has most of what a sport cars has, but lacks in the fact that, due to its weight and sheer size, it would be at a clear disadvantage in roads/road courses where turns are involved.

Now, I love the Challenger because it will be a muscle car, that's what I want. But I don't kid myself into thinking it will be a sports car. Example: if someone in a Porsche 911S would ask me to take a few laps against him at the old Nuerburgring (it has over 160 curves for each lap), I would probably decline because that's a sports car, very well suited in this type of racing.
While if the same guy would ask me to do some drag racing, I would be willing to accept his challenge.
Good comparison between the Porsche and the Challenger; the Challenger will have decent handling and far better lateral accelleration than the musclecars of old, but a higher end Porsche will give you the muscle AND handling to boot. Brute force is always fun, but a powerful sports car (Z06, Porsche, etc) will give you both.
For street use, the Challenger will be a blast to drive :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
04SRT4MAN said:
Good comparison between the Porsche and the Challenger; the Challenger will have decent handling and far better lateral accelleration than the musclecars of old, but a higher end Porsche will give you the muscle AND handling to boot. Brute force is always fun, but a powerful sports car (Z06, Porsche, etc) will give you both.
For street use, the Challenger will be a blast to drive :D
I think the new Challenger will wind up being one of the best handling musclecars ever built. Remember it has Mercedes heritage underneath.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
E-Body said:
To me...

Thats the way I would see it.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
A muscle car is NOT a sport's car.

Sports Car= Porsche, Corvette, Viper, etc

Muscle Car= Challenger, Riveria Gran Sport (65'ish) 442's, GTO's or the Gran National.

Give me a muscle car anyday!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if I would call a 'vette a muscle car but that can be debated. The blurr is with the 'stang where over the years it was a muscle, sport and muscle again. The new goat can be thrown in there as well.

I still say with weight and length the Challanger is pure muscle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
tekhen said:
I don't know if I would call a 'vette a muscle car but that can be debated. The blurr is with the 'stang where over the years it was a muscle, sport and muscle again. The new goat can be thrown in there as well.

I still say with weight and length the Challanger is pure muscle.
The only era where I consider the Mustang to be a true musclecar was the large 71-73 models which was based on the Ford Fairlane instead of the Falcon. Ford shrunk the Mustang way down to a subcompact in 74, and the biggest motor you could get in them for years was a 302 (5.0.). I have seen Mustangs used in every kind of racing, a very versitile car..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts