Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so lost with this decision and need to have some feedback from you members who have them installed. I know that an Airride System would be the best route to go with IMO for a smoother ride, easy height adjustments and great stance. But the price for this option is a pretty penny.

I was told that springs are a much better ride as far as being comfortable. Some say that the conversion from stock to Eibach, H&R or Mopar somewhat seems seamless depending on the brand. But the problem that I'm getting is that some say you get "x" amount of a drop and others say a different "x" amount regardless of the Challey being the same year, model and even wheel set up. Other members end up saying that they started with springs and were now selling the springs to go with a coilover set up. I don't want to waste money and time doing this same mistake if in fact is a mistake...

Now coilovers: The drawback that I'm hearing which I'm not sure if this is accurate is that the ride is way rough with coilovers. Since coilovers are more meant for racing, it stiffens the ride and just is a hassle if of course the Challey is your everyday ride like in my case it is my everyday ride.

Can you please provide some feed back on this so I can have some sort of light at te end of my tunnel? I'd like to make a decision on this sometime soon. If I have to wait it out and save more money for bags, then I guess that's what I will have to do but rather not.

:grouphug:

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention... I have a 2013 RT plus with STP (no Nivomats)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Alright, well I know nothing about air suspension. But from what I have heard, springs are a hit or miss, some say the ride is crappy after cause the shocks weren't meant for use with those springs, others love it. As far as what I have, Im running BC coilovers with front and rear strut braces. I find it in no way to be too rough of a ride, even on 22inch wheels and 35series tires. I use it for everyday driving and am very happy with it. Also, BC coilovers arent terribly expensive and if you want to install yourself, coilovers are easier to install than springs. Hope I could help some!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Coil overs will give you the best ride. They are built for lowered cars. Springs only will be a harsher ride.

Coil overs
Bags
Springs

Is the order I think. I've installed a ton of springs n coil overs on these cars and ridden in them all. Bags are a different story. They allow you to go over speed bumps and into drive ways and then you can set it to the ground for shows.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coil overs will give you the best ride. They are built for lowered cars. Springs only will be a harsher ride.

Coil overs
Bags
Springs

Is the order I think. I've installed a ton of springs n coil overs on these cars and ridden in them all. Bags are a different story. They allow you to go over speed bumps and into drive ways and then you can set it to the ground for shows.

I probably need to ride with someone who has coil overs to get a feel for it.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If going with coilovers, what brand is best? Eibach, H&R, BC, KW or ???

Which ones would be the easiest to self adjust the height?

·
Registered
624 Posts
If going with coilovers, what brand is best? Eibach, H&R, BC, KW or ???

Which ones would be the easiest to self adjust the height?

In all honesty, its such a pain to change height with coilovers that I never plan on doing it. If I want it at different height permanently, I would, but I would avoid changing height as best as possible. Just my take.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Don't forget to replace the coat hangers...oops, I meant to say your stock sway bars, when you're down under there with whatever decision you go with.

·
Supporting Vendors
1,246 Posts
I have coilovers on my 1995 240SX and eibach sportlines on my 2007 Mustang GT.

Despite my 240sx having 187K miles, I have to say the Tein coilovers ride way more comfortably than the sportlines on my Mustang FWIW.

If you decide to do springs, I'd recommend getting adjustable shocks and struts while you're at it. Otherwise the ride will be much harsher than OEM

Make sure you research your coilover brands too, I've heard plenty of horror stories about cheap-o coils being unbearable.

Nick C.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT/P
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have coilovers on my 1995 240SX and eibach sportlines on my 2007 Mustang GT.

Despite my 240sx having 187K miles, I have to say the Tein coilovers ride way more comfortably than the sportlines on my Mustang FWIW.

If you decide to do springs, I'd recommend getting adjustable shocks and struts while you're at it. Otherwise the ride will be much harsher than OEM

Make sure you research your coilover brands too, I've heard plenty of horror stories about cheap-o coils being unbearable.

Nick C.

I've been quoted $3500 for bags installed. No other parts

I was quoted $1600 for H&R coilovers and dampers installed. No other parts

$1000 for BC coilovers. No installation

I have about $2500 to play with so thinking to get springs, adjustable shocks and struts, front sway bar and Trinity tuner. Maybe a strut bar (Mopar). Idk. Decisions......

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
IMO, front and rear tower bracing is a "Must Have" if you're really serious about better handling and steering input on a Challenger. They get the unibody as stiff as can be, and then any suspension upgrades can do their job even better.

If you have $2500 to burn, I would highly consider the front and rear tower bracing, Mopar Stage One lowering springs, hang on to the "change", and see what you think at that time. Then you can move on to more suspension changes/upgrades at that time, if you think that you really need "more" handling improvements.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts