Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I’m not quite sure what this sound is and was curious if it would stand out to anyone. It’s only one wheel, if you hold the break pads the long way sideways, the sides show a lot more wear on the break pads the center. The guiding pins were also plenty lubed and looked good, along with the rotor looks good as well. The squeaking sound seems to be a lot more apparent at low speeds, and goes away with high speeds. It seems to happen at a certain point in the tires rotation. Some days it’s not there at all, others it’s pretty bad. I caught it this morning in a video I can upload later since I don’t think you can post it here.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,483 Posts
Hello, so I’m not quite sure what this sound is and was curious if it would stand out to anyone. It’s only one wheel, if you hold the break pads the long way sideways, the sides show a lot more wear on the break pads the center. The guiding pins were also plenty lubed and looked good, along with the rotor looks good as well. The squeaking sound seems to be a lot more apparent at low speeds, and goes away with high speeds. It seems to happen at a certain point in the tires rotation. Some days it’s not there at all, others it’s pretty bad. I caught it this morning in a video I can upload later since I don’t think you can post it here.
Upload vid clip to YouTube, or Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive, etc. and share it out so others can view it. Post the link up here and we can listen for ourselves.

Also, pics of the brake pad wear you describe would help. I am having trouble picturing the orientation you specify.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I have never seen a brake pad wear like that. Maybe the pad was never seated right from the beginning?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never seen a brake pad wear like that. Maybe the pad was never seated right from the beginning?
I’m not really positive but it looked okay when I took them out, I reseated them myself and it still makes that sound. I heard maybe it’s some kinda suspension problem so the outer break pad rests on the rotor when it shouldn’t, I really don’t know though

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
Anyone get a clue? That video captures the sound very well
Absent an installation problem or a defective part -- which I have never encountered over all the years -- I have had brakes develop a mild squeak/squeal.

What I found "fixed" this was to wash the brake hardware at a DIY car wash to remove the brake dust build up particularly on the piston dust boots. The brake dust is "heavy" -- combination of pad and rotor (iron) material -- and the weight interferes with the slight retraction the pistons receive when the pedal is released. The piston seals normally cause the pad to pull back just a bit from the rotor.

But if the pad doesn't pull back and the pads and the rotors develop a mild glaze that under lighter braking can cause the brakes to squeak/squeal.

With some vehicles I can even hear the brakes when making a slow turn and not applying the brakes.

At any rate a brake hardware wash only costs $1.50 in quarters. Just hit each wheel/brake with the wand set to "soap" then follow with it in the rinse setting then end with it in the no spot rinse setting. This has the water spray force less so during this phase I get the nozzle closer to the brake caliper.

As an aside if you skip the soap step and just plain rinse water you can see the water drain off the wheel with a good load of black brake dust in it.

After you wash the brakes be sure to drive the car and use the brakes enough to get them "hot" to ensure the brake hardware, and this includes the parking brake hardware in the rear wheel hubs, is thoroughly dry.

If the noise remains or comes right back you probably need to consider having a professional tech check out the brakes for any issues.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
IMG_3913.MOV
The parts in the photo that are red is where the wear was a lot worse, the video is in the imbedded link above
View attachment 1022305
That is how a lot of new pads are manufactured, they have the ends ground down to help with chatter, and they increase in surface area as they wear down. So if yours are fairly new, that is to be expected.
Random example

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Anyone get a clue? That video captures the sound very well
Hi Lucyn,
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! To clarify, have you brought your concerns to the attention of your dealer recently for repairs? Although we cannot guarantee any certain outcome, we do recommend scheduling a diagnostic appointment. If you would like any assistance, please let us know.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 9 of 9 Posts