Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 750 miles on the car now and the brakes are squeaking so bad its driving me insane. I brought it back to the dealer and they said because they are ceramic (which I did not know) they will squeak. It's so bad i have to turn up the music to drown them out. Anyone else have this problem??

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Thats BS. Even if the pads are ceramic which I don't believe they are, they still should'nt squeak as you describe. I replaced the dust dropping brembos pad on mine with Hawk PC's right after I got the car. 3500 miles later not a peep. You may try to do a few controlled hard stops to try and re-bed the pads. If that doesn't work find another dealer that will work with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have about 750 miles on the car now and the brakes are squeaking so bad its driving me insane. I brought it back to the dealer and they said because they are ceramic (which I did not know) they will squeak. It's so bad i have to turn up the music to drown them out. Anyone else have this problem??

Yeeeeeaaaa buddy!! Driving me nuts. When I had my engine light issue I asked them to take a look and they just responded that there was some grime on the rotors. And sure enough still squeeking. so coincidentally today I decide to do an extreme brake test. so far no squeak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had squealing brakes on my 07 Jeep SRT, with the oem pads hopefully this isn't the norm on SRT vehicles (even to date).

Was considering ordering a 12' Challenger SRT, but I don't know.

I really don't want to get into one if its going to be problems with this and problems with that.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I have 425miles on my 392 & also noticed squeeking brakes. Not for sure if the pads need to work them self into rotor but will take to dealer.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd go with Dave's advice. I'd do some hard braking & see if that helps. If it persists, maybe try re-bedding. If there's no luck there, I've read tons of positive threads about the Hawk ceramic pads. Also, somebody posted a little while back about using some sort of lube that was working like a charm - no squeaking & no effect on stopping - was awaiting a long term report, but haven't seen it.

Regardless, there are tons of threads on this. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Was looking at an yahoo answer about brembo squeaking from tyfoxx0608.

They are right. High performance brake pads work at a higher heat range. That means once it gets colder its not able to function the way they should. A car like the lexus IS F which is geared towards performance will have a higher performance set of pads. Normal brake pads will not sweak and have less brake dust. When your at a race track or doing very aggressive driving you want hgih performance pads. Think about this normal pads will have its threshold then it goes pass that the pads will melt and leave deposits on your rotors. Then you will go into brake fade. Which is when your peddle still feels hard but you cant brake for the life of god. When that happens hope your not in the middle of a corner or you could go flying off. Now the high performance pads will be less of a chance for that to happen but it comes at the cost of sweaking pads and more brake dust. Mercedes have been known to do that and there rims covered it brake dust. You cant have both.
Source(s):
Been working and racing cars for 5+ years.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Mine Squeak as well, It started around 300 miles and is still Squeaking at the 1500 mark. Dealer said they just need to be broken more. I will try the hard stops to try and even them out. New car shouldn't Squeak in the 1st month in my opinion, especially not a 50k car!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine Squeak as well, It started around 300 miles and is still Squeaking at the 1500 mark. Dealer said they just need to be broken more.

Jeep dealer said the same thing....the brakes never stopped squealing/squeaking up to the day I got rid of it.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Our Jeep SRT brakes squeal. It helps to brake harder rather than easing the brakes on. It is just a trade off of the high performance pads.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
for those who changed brake pads, was their any braking difference?

slower braking or less dust?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Our Jeep SRT brakes squeal. It helps to brake harder rather than easing the brakes on. It is just a trade off of the high performance pads.
you're right!
it ain't a luxury car. you want performance...you got it.
if enough people complain, they may change them....but you'll be sacrificing performance (braking).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts