Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pretty cheap CAI from AmericanMuscle. SR Performance Cold Air Intake

Has anyone tried this? What would be the pros/cons of buying something this cheap ($100) versus let's say, the Mopar CAI for $400+?

I wanted to see what difference this would make, mainly for sound, response and maintenance.

I also plan on trying out the Hellcat Airbox Mod with the aFe headlight intake tube.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Has potential, maybe, but with a few caveats.
If the barier wall actually 100% seals to the hood (when hood is closed) then the opening up the headlight and adding either the oem or afe tube will throw direct airflow into it when the car is at speed.
There is a very slight added benifit (sub +5hp).
You probably then, wont hear much gain in sound, since its sealed off, blocking sound.
If it doesnt actually seal (many dont) then it negates any claim to "cold air" as it will simply syphon hot underhood air either entirely, or mixing it with the added cold air from the headlight if you open it.
The aluminum tube however, will warm up as engine warms up, it will then retain that heat and transfer this via convection, to the intake air charge.
The gain/loss is probably a zero eitherway, but if you like the looks, etc, give it a try.
Be on the look out for higher engine temps, AIT & heatsoak / heatsoak recovery times, if this occurrs you've gone backwards in regard to perf gain.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has potential, maybe, but with a few caveats.
If the barier wall actually 100% seals to the hood (when hood is closed) then the opening up the headlight and adding either the oem or afe tube will throw direct airflow into it when the car is at speed.
There is a very slight added benifit (sub +5hp).
You probably then, wont hear much gain in sound, since its sealed off, blocking sound.
If it doesnt actually seal (many dont) then it negates any claim to "cold air" as it will simply syphon hot underhood air either entirely, or mixing it with the added cold air from the headlight if you open it.
The aluminum tube however, will warm up as engine warms up, it will then retain that heat and transfer this via convection, to the intake air charge.
The gain/loss is probably a zero eitherway, but if you like the looks, etc, give it a try.
Be on the look out for higher engine temps, AIT & heatsoak / heatsoak recovery times, if this occurrs you've gone backwards in regard to perf gain.
Thanks for the quick reply! This makes a lot of sense and better helps me understand the funcationality behind CAIs. So this CAI might be a hit or miss if not designed properly, it will mainly be for aesthetics.

Any suggestions on a CAI that will make a noticeable sound difference?
As for some performance am I better off just doing the Hellcat mod if I wanted a affordable way to let the engine breathe more?

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
On avg an CAI 2 to 3hp yes you will hear some air sucking in ... You wont hear or really feel it a dyno may bump a number or 2 but your still restricted by the drive by wire throttle opening speed and amount.
IMHO its a bit of a placebo. How ever if it works that's great if it doesn't then its back to the drawing board. As mentioned its mainly for looks and in some cases you can loose HP... Yes a little more straight tube will give less air restriction then the flex does so looks nicer. Also the 3.6 is not designed to be a ground pounding experience its a daily driver with enough power to have fun and good MPG as well. Love my SXT Insurance cheaper, looks cool, fun and easy on wallet.

If you want to bump it up noticeable when all is said and done your easily into 8k range or more with a super charger and all parts, depending on year a unlocked PCM and Dyno Tune, exhaust upgrade and not to mention Brake Upgrade to slow it down... So if your wanting the V8 sound just for a bit more noise its a very expensive journey just saying don't expect much out of just a bolt on CAI...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
I believe, especially on a SXT, a CAI is all about the bling and some intake noise

A Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts