Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our shop wants to order one of this gorgeous babes, but not sure if 2011 will be the perfect one.
don't we suppose to get 8 speed in 2012.
just imagine this girl with 8 speed..
ur thoughts..........

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Why wait when you can enjoy life immediately?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
get the 2011... me thinks the Challenger may not be around for too much longer. Tree huggers are planning massive attacks. The holy grail will not be found in a 8 speed transmission.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
you can wait for 2012 for the 8 speed, but what will come out in 2013? maybe you should wait until 2013 or even 2014?

there will always be something better coming out next year....2011 is a major change and good enough for me to jump in....i was urged to wait for 2012 also, but got sick of waiting....a special edtion was enough to make me jump in

get the 6 speed and dont worry about the 8 speed automatic

·
Registered
464 Posts
Being a mechanical dope...what is the advantage in terms of say going fast at a drag strip with an 8 speed automatic vs a 5 speed automatic?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The new drag pack with V10 is a 2 speed automatic

·
Registered
464 Posts
All I'm saying is that you only need a few gears to reach the traps. Why would someone like me want an 8 speed automatic for? (it's rhetorical)

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
for a 1/4 less is better, add a steep rear gear and be done with it.. for street strip more gears is better:0

Dont wait life is short buddy!

Get the 2011 and upgrade in 2012 if neeeded! :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Being a mechanical dope...what is the advantage in terms of say going fast at a drag strip with an 8 speed automatic vs a 5 speed automatic?
Less is more at a drag strip. More close-ratio gears makes tree-huggers happy. The 392 has such a broad power curve, as do most all modern engines, I think even the mpg differences will be negligible when compared to the added weight.:indifferent:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I hear a lot of talk about these tree hugger people. Now call me blind or call me dumb but I live around a lot of wooded areas and I've yet to see anyone hugging a damn tree!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well first we need an auto gear box.
and second, does it will be more gas efficient with 8 speed?...i mean really? hmm

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
City driving, probably a little better mpg.

Highway, probably not.

·
Registered
683 Posts
2016 will be the end of the line in my opinion, that's when the 35mpg fleet average kicks in - and its only going higher moving forward. This car won't survive selling only V6s - no matter how good of a supercharged 6 they are able to produce, without the appeal of the V8 - a muscle car package won't sell in enough numbers to continue production.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The SRT really doesn't need an 8 speed, but the EPA mandates force Dodge's hand - and since they have the 8 speed sourcing/production agreements, they want to get out of the Mercedes arrangement for the 5 speed.

2012 will likely see better SRT color choices I think, some better stripes packages, maybe different interior color options.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My main fear about the ZF sourced 8 speed is that it is over engineered. The 5 speed is pretty bullet proofed. The previous 6 speed from ZF has been used in many BMW models (ZF 6HP26 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Just search the Internet for problems. You find quite a few folks who had to get a new transmission sometimes with as little as 60k on their cars and the AT job was in the order of $4000. One common problem was that it wouldn't go into Reverse anymore and it needed a complete AT replacement. Small is beautiful. Simple is good. Less can be more...

·
Registered
885 Posts
The Damlier/ Mercedes WA580 five speed auto transmission in our cars is great and is used in some of their high performance AMG cars.I think this is a perfect auto trans. for the SRT 392/6.4 . The BMW 8-speed is just MPG overkill,I'd rather have the Mercedes WA580 that's been proven and tested for a number of years now.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The Damlier/ Mercedes WA580 five speed auto transmission in our cars is great and is used in some of their high performance AMG cars.I think this is a perfect auto trans. for the SRT 392/6.4 . The BMW 8-speed is just MPG overkill,I'd rather have the Mercedes WA580 that's been proven and tested for a number of years now.
The current 5-speed Merc transmission is a good quality product, but many would say that 2nd and 3rd gear are too too long. Imagine that same quality product with less spacing between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I love my 5 speed auto.

A very good friend of mine has had to put two 6 speed trannies in his "7" Series Beemer.

He sweats everytime he puts it in reverse. Not a good deal at all, and I wouldn't be interested in ANY car with that trans.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts