Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I didn't look to see if this thread already existed; call me lazy! and sorry ... but does anyone -- and no dissing to the SP owners, but doesn anyone that owns a SRT 392 Challenger or Charger seem, like they got kinda of robbed?
I mean I have a 2016 SRT 392 that I dumped a bunch of cash on and it seems like now a days, dodge screwed the SRT club and kind of just gave everyone a 6.4L w/all the track pack, Pages, and just all the stuff that I had always been saving up for the SRT for.. I had 3 Challengers an SXT! then when I could afford it I got an R/T! 15' and then finally got my SRT and honstley had planned to go to maybe a HC or Demon but I am in love with my SRT so if anyting I'd spend the money to add a Whipple twin screw 2.9L SC, new headers, mid-pipe and complete new catback exhaust and of couse being a 16' a ECU upgrade and tuner .. but back to my point doesn't it seem like if I waited would have had a SP 2/ a 6.4L HEMI and almost everyting the same as my car for way less cash? or am I just crazy?

\Again it's not that I am dissing anyone w/o an SRT i just feel like dodge screwed us, the ones that really wanted an SRT, and then they just dropped the Scat Pack on everyone

BD - Mopar or NO CAR!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
So I didn't look to see if this thread already existed; call me lazy! and sorry ... but does anyone -- and no dissing to the SP owners, but doesn anyone that owns a SRT 392 Challenger or Charger seem, like they got kinda of robbed?
I mean I have a 2016 SRT 392 that I dumped a bunch of cash on and it seems like now a days, dodge screwed the SRT club and kind of just gave everyone a 6.4L w/all the track pack, Pages, and just all the stuff that I had always been saving up for the SRT for.. I had 3 Challengers an SXT! then when I could afford it I got an R/T! 15' and then finally got my SRT and honstley had planned to go to maybe a HC or Demon but I am in love with my SRT so if anyting I'd spend the money to add a Whipple twin screw 2.9L SC, new headers, mid-pipe and complete new catback exhaust and of couse being a 16' a ECU upgrade and tuner .. but back to my point doesn't it seem like if I waited would have had a SP 2/ a 6.4L HEMI and almost everyting the same as my car for way less cash? or am I just crazy?

\Again it's not that I am dissing anyone w/o an SRT i just feel like dodge screwed us, the ones that really wanted an SRT, and then they just dropped the Scat Pack on everyone

BD - Mopar or NO CAR!
I feel like they screwed over Scat Pack owners by locking them out of the ECO/TRACK modes.

SRT still gets Laguna Leather and Adjustable Suspension.

·
Super Moderator
13,396 Posts
Again it's not that I am dissing anyone w/o an SRT, I just feel like Dodge screwed us- the ones that really wanted an SRT, and then they just dropped the Scat Pack on everyone.
I agree, Dodge's actions have made the SRT less special. Dodge has also done this with "limited edition" colors, like Hemi-orange. It's all about profits.

·
Registered
975 Posts
A lot of guys don't have pockets deep enough to get the extra goodies such as upgraded Brembos, interior luxuries, track modes and the adjustable suspension. The SP gives you the basic trim with the much desired 6.4 liter power plant. This is nothing new as manufactures would do this back in the 60s allowing buyers to stuff the top HP motors into lower trims.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Here we go......
:argue:
:popblood:

Cars are very similar except for the Hood, brakes, suspension and available interior upgrades (i.e. Laguna Leather)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Isnt the scat pack lighter too? I specifically wanted the SP because I didnt want to pay the SRTax. Im glad I didnt. Love my suede interior and all the goodies you get with a loaded SP. Plus I got the A8 and 6.4L. Yes I do agree the SRT guys got shafted. There should be no SRT 392. Only SP and HC.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Whatever the reason, it's all about profit. FCA shareholders could care less what model, let alone trim package, sells the most as long as the company's bottom line meets expectations (i.e. Shareholder Profits). It's just business decisions. :|

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here we go......
:argue:
:popblood:

Cars are very similar except for the Hood, brakes, suspension and available interior upgrades (i.e. Laguna Leather)
Wheels, Tires, Driver Convenience Group, Sound System, NAV are some additional standard differences but available upgrades.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I have to agree. If you all remember the SRT was the cats meow until the Hellcat came out. My comment is they should have left out the SRT from both hellcat and demon. I love my SRT and still think they are a rare car because everyone wants to get the other goodies that are just gimmicks to me. Again just my thoughts.

Mopar or No Car

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
I think I wrote in 2010 or there about that I would buy a new R/T if they offered it with the "bigger" motor. The Core came out, but wasn't quite there for what I was looking for. When the Scat Pack came out it was perfect for me and I bought one. Big motor, nice CLOTH seats, and it didn't have the red brake calipers (don't like the red, sorry). And it was about $7K or more cheaper.

So I figure Dodge was trying to invite buyers like me to buy a Scat Pack. I like the idea of many different models. Something for everyone. And I don't think that it cheapens the SRT any. It is still awesome for the folks that like its features.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The problem is the SRT comes with a lot of toys standard, so the void between R/T and SRT was artificially large.

SRT as a trim is pointless. It should have been a package for the R/T. Same goes for Scat Pack.

Too many damn trims, Dodge!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the SRT. I opted to pony up the extra money for it after thoroughly testing an RT Plus and a Scat Pack. To ME, there is a significant difference in power, braking and comfort to warrant the extra money.

The more choices, the better. Each of us can buy what we want and can afford.

To me, the SRT was worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I have the SRT. I opted to pony up the extra money for it after thoroughly testing an RT Plus and a Scat Pack. To ME, there is a significant difference in power, braking and comfort to warrant the extra money.

Be honest, if the SRT trim went away and the adjustable suspension and laguna leather became options on the other trims, beyond exclusivity, would you care at all?

·
Registered
375 Posts

Curious as to the significance in power comment, considering Scats and SRTs both have 6.4s...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Curious as to the significance in power comment, considering Scats and SRTs both have 6.4s...
I believe he was referring to the difference between the RT Plus and the SRT. It's been said many times on this forum that there is no difference in power between the SRT and the Scat Pack.

Concerning bDean's original post... Guess the best we can say here is it depends on your perspective. Once upon a time, the SRT and it's mighty 392 was the king of Dodge's hill, and there was a price to pay. But just like back in the 60's when the market was crying out for bigger motors in smaller and cheaper cars, once again, Dodge has simply responded to our cry. Enthusiasts said, "Give us that bigger motor for less money," and Dodge stepped up to the plate.

Remember the old saying, where there's a will, there's a way? Maybe that applies here? Where there's a need, there's a product to fill that need. Good old American supply and demand at it's best. We cried, Dodge listened, and the Scat Pack was born.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I, personally, like the Scat Pack because of the trim package (Logos, etc). But then again, I notice small details. And, I really loved the Shaker, which is what I have; Scat Pack Shaker. Also, I didn't feel the need to spend the extra money on the SRT for the items it includes. For some, the bigger brakes, adjustable suspension, etc., are huge, that's why the trim model exists. And if I want the remainder of the performance pages I'll buy a Tazer for a lot less money than the cost of the SRT. Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
FCA does a good job at marketing. A key to successful marketing is to instill your product into peoples hearts and egos. They have done this well.

As far as the OP's comment on "feeling robbed"..............I feel that I robbed FCA when I ordered a basic, no frills Scat Pack, and didn't buy into "all the frills" that I really didn't want to begin with.

They got my heart when the SP was offered, and the ended up with my money..............so marketing did win, just not as much as they would have liked! LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love my SRT.. Plus the branding is nice. I have always been an SRT and SVT fan since they are in-house, factory warrantied machines..

I love my adjustable suspension, branding, hood, etc.. I bought mine used, and could dump in 30 grand and still be less than the price of a used hellcat.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
... as far as the OP's comment on "feeling robbed"..............I feel that I robbed FCA when I ordered a basic, no frills Scat Pack, and didn't buy into "all the frills" that I really didn't want to begin with...
johned:
Amazing that even today, you can still go out and buy a great car for a reasonable price if you can just say NO to all the add-ons. Those salesmen can lure ya with a lot of temptation if yer not careful...

I, personally, like the Scat Pack because of the trim package (Logos, etc). But then again, I notice small details. And, I really loved the Shaker, which is what I have; Scat Pack Shaker. Also, I didn't feel the need to spend the extra money on the SRT for the items it includes. For some, the bigger brakes, adjustable suspension, etc., are huge, that's why the trim model exists. And if I want the remainder of the performance pages I'll buy a Tazer for a lot less money than the cost of the SRT. Just my thoughts.....
Professor:
Not sure if I posted this before, in my initial search for a Challenger, I gave a lot of thought to the Scat Pack Shaker. I know the shaker is a pricey option, but it really looks sharp and I prolly woulda bought one had I not come across the SRT for such a good price on that fateful Thursday in late June last year. On another note, did you have any issues with water accumulation at the base of the hood scoop?

Gary

1 - 20 of 85 Posts