Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
johned:
Amazing that even today, you can still go out and buy a great car for a reasonable price if you can just say NO to all the add-ons. Those salesmen can lure ya with a lot of temptation if yer not careful...

Professor:
Not sure if I posted this before, in my initial search for a Challenger, I gave a lot of thought to the Scat Pack Shaker. I know the shaker is a pricey option, but it really looks sharp and I prolly woulda bought one had I not come across the SRT for such a good price on that fateful Thursday in late June last year. On another note, did you have any issues with water accumulation at the base of the hood scoop?

Gary

Yep, I guess that I ordered the modern day version of the Road Runner.

Only thing that I wanted was the WRT's and the R/T Modern Hood Stripe. I ordered with the GM of my dealership, and he said, "That's it?" I said yep, and we both laughed.

Simplest order he ever entered into the system!

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I agree with the OP... yes, I think the SRT brand (I call it a brand because that is where Chrysler was headed with it there for a while), has been hurt by the 392 being in cars other than an SRT. It has probably hurt the resale value, too.

On the other hand... you could get a 426 Hemi or 440 Magnum in virtually any car back in the day... it was not meant for just the upscale Charger and GTX. Kind of the same thing I suppose.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree with the OP... yes, I think the SRT brand (I call it a brand because that is where Chrysler was headed with it there for a while), has been hurt by the 392 being in cars other than an SRT. It has probably hurt the resale value, too.

On the other hand... you could get a 426 Hemi or 440 Magnum in virtually any car back in the day... it was not meant for just the upscale Charger and GTX. Kind of the same thing I suppose.
And didn't Chevrolet put 427 and 454 Big Blocks in Caprice station wagons? with woodgrain sides no less !! :shocked:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
If anything killed the SRT 392, it was the Hellcat, not the Scat Pack. All those people that wanted the biggest baddest thing went for the Hellcat.

Scat Pack just sells more because people would rather have 485hp with cloth seats than an R/T Plus.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
If anything killed the SRT 392, it was the Hellcat, not the Scat Pack. All those people that wanted the biggest baddest thing went for the Hellcat.

Scat Pack just sells more because people would rather have 485hp with cloth seats than an R/T Plus.
I think you are right... but, probably a combination of the two. I would think that the Demon is hurting the Hellcat in much the same way. If I had a Hellcat I would be pissed, and if my wife would let me spend even more money I would by the Demon. I wonder how many Hellcat owners are dropping it for the Demon? I suppose not too many since the Demon is limited, right?

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
It's the "circle of life"....................some Demon features are going to be on the '19 HC's as an option!

Oh the humanity.............all sorts of folks feeling that they're getting screwed by FCA! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Bias belted tires with a single track (non posi) rear and those torqe monster motors would spin the rear tire forever. Fun times indeed ! :smile:
:rocker: Yes, and I'm betting those were 14 inch 78 series tires... The damn thing would just sit in one spot and spin non-stop... until I slid it into a ditch at 100mph... I was going so fast at night that I missed my turn. Lucky it was a big heavy car because it just slid into the ditch. I was only 16. Stupid. I felt like shit because my Dad loved that car. He bought a 1975 New Yorker that was more luxurious, but a DOG 400 2bbl.

My apologies to the OP for going off track...

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I think you are right... but, probably a combination of the two. I would think that the Demon is hurting the Hellcat in much the same way. If I had a Hellcat I would be pissed, and if my wife would let me spend even more money I would by the Demon. I wonder how many Hellcat owners are dropping it for the Demon? I suppose not too many since the Demon is limited, right?
Nah, Demon is limited and only offers a slight HP boost, not counting race gas tune.

Hellcat has over 200HP difference from the 392 and comes with all the niceties of the SRT. Demon isn't affecting the Hellcat, large production numbers is affecting the Hellcat.

That's the problem with all high-end trims, it appeals to those who strokes their chubs off to being exclusive, and when they see the other kids have the same toys as them, they have troubles getting them back up.

Smart move on FCA for trickling down technology to the lesser trims, they're not Rolls Royce, the "exclusive" crowd isn't going to make them money.

·
Registered
529 Posts
:rocker: Yes, and I'm betting those were 14 inch 78 series tires... The damn thing would just sit in one spot and spin non-stop... until I slid it into a ditch at 100mph... I was going so fast at night that I missed my turn. Lucky it was a big heavy car because it just slid into the ditch. I was only 16. Stupid. I felt like shit because my Dad loved that car. He bought a 1975 New Yorker that was more luxurious, but a DOG 400 2bbl.

My apologies to the OP for going off track...
Actually 15 inch 78 series with white walls.... My apologies to the OP also for going off track again. :frown:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Be honest, if the SRT trim went away and the adjustable suspension and laguna leather became options on the other trims, beyond exclusivity, would you care at all?
I would not care. If I could have obtained the SP with the laguna and all the other goodies, I would have done so. Exclusivity means nothing to me. I am approaching retirement, and I bought this car with the intent of keeping it as long as I am above ground. :wink3:

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
I would not care. If I could have obtained the SP with the laguna and all the other goodies, I would have done so. Exclusivity means nothing to me. I am approaching retirement, and I bought this car with the intent of keeping it as long as I am above ground. :wink3:

Same situation here, retirement wise.

If the option cost was right, I may have ordered the laguna, or the adjustable suspension if it were offered. No real burning in my gut for either, but a possible chance that I may have ordered one or the other.

But, it wasn't and no big deal to me.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Same here regarding retirement, Colonel Klink (just assuming about the name...). I'll be keeping my car for a long time... and modding it along the way. I'm about 3-4 years from retirement depending on a bunch of factors. After retirement the mods will mostly amount to putting more coats of wax on. :smile:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Same here regarding retirement, Colonel Klink (just assuming about the name...). I'll be keeping my car for a long time... and modding it along the way. I'm about 3-4 years from retirement depending on a bunch of factors. After retirement the mods will mostly amount to putting more coats of wax on. :smile:
Yup, they dubbed me Col Klink in High School because I wore googles and was fluent in German.

I am year or two from retirement, and for once, don't PLAN on any mods, I actually love the car just the way she came from the womb. But, lots of coats of wax ought to add 1-2 hp......right?:grin2:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I got a Scat Pack because I wanted the 392/A8 drivetrain in a package that was more affordable. I did not care about the extra stuff the SRT had, but I can see why a lot of people would want an SRT, just wasn't for me.

There was a comment earlier in the thread regarding Scat Packs being locked out of various SRT drive modes like Track/Eco/Valet, etc. You can buy a $250 Tazer and unlock all that stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i feel like the SRT, even though it has the same motor as the SP, is still a premium vehicle over the SP. It has creature comforts and amenities you cant get on the SP bringing the higher price tag. I fall in the middle though, I dont think I could justify the SRT and I dont care for the SP so I would likely fall on the TA as my choice. I still have a bit before I can make that plunge though, who knows, if work and life are good I may be able to pick up a hellcat. only time will tell

·
Registered
216 Posts
Professor:
Not sure if I posted this before, in my initial search for a Challenger, I gave a lot of thought to the Scat Pack Shaker. I know the shaker is a pricey option, but it really looks sharp and I prolly woulda bought one had I not come across the SRT for such a good price on that fateful Thursday in late June last year. On another note, did you have any issues with water accumulation at the base of the hood scoop?

Gary
Gary, no I have not had any issues with water accumulation, and happily so!

Ray

21 - 40 of 85 Posts