Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
There was a comment earlier in the thread regarding Scat Packs being locked out of various SRT drive modes like Track/Eco/Valet, etc. You can buy a $250 Tazer and unlock all that stuff.
I'm aware, I own one.

That's like telling me to buy Katzkin because SRT trims are the only one that get that option, so you've missed the point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It all depends on the needs of the person buying the car. MOST people aren't even going to utilize the upgraded brakes or the adjustable suspension. Anything else can be bought aftermarket for reasonable prices and you're not stuck with a $900 car payment.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm aware, I own one.

That's like telling me to buy Katzkin because SRT trims are the only one that get that option, so you've missed the point.
Who's missing the point??? I think that might be debatable. I didn't take it that way at all. Just saying.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not sure what way you think I took it.
Maybe I missed it.???

I took it as he didn't care about the extra stuff the SRT had but just added that last statement in response to someones mention of being locked out of various SRT drive modes, when in fact they were not, if they chose to use that Tazer device.

I was thinking that you took it as he felt that someone should get a particular item because that 's what an SRT has. But the more I look at that, i'm not sure what you meant. Maybe I missed it. Sorry!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Maybe I missed it.???

I took it as he didn't care about the extra stuff the SRT had but just added that last statement in response to someones mention of being locked out of various SRT drive modes, when in fact they were not, if they chose to use that Tazer device.

I was thinking that you took it as he felt that someone should get a particular item because that 's what an SRT has. But the more I look at that, i'm not sure what you meant. Maybe I missed it. Sorry!
I understood his point, but when I said that the SP was locked out of SRT drive modes, I didn't factor aftermarket options into it.

I shouldn't need aftermarket for options that appear on different trims, specially on the software side. It's petty on the part of the manufacturer as it doesn't require any special tooling or transportation. At most it would take some coding.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I understood his point, but when I said that the SP was locked out of SRT drive modes, I didn't factor aftermarket options into it.

I shouldn't need aftermarket for options that appear on different trims, specially on the software side. It's petty on the part of the manufacturer as it doesn't require any special tooling or transportation. At most it would take some coding.
Totally agree!

·
Registered
474 Posts
If money is an object, the SP is a nice deal if it comes with only the most essential of options. I was young-ish and it was for me when I got my 2016 SPS . Would I have loved to have HK audio, adaptive cruise control, 3-way suspensions, bigger brakes/wheels and Laguna leather? - You bet. But for me a 5-6k lower purchase price, 0% financing, lower cost of insurance and cheaper brake maintenance was more important at the time.

If you have the funds and don't need the power of the hellcat but want a nicely optioned muscle car, the SRT392 seems like the way to go... I don't see why not.

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
318 Posts
For me it was the second new car I ever bought. First was back in 1989. Since I was going to drop $45K on a loaded SP and the dealers were selling SRT's for $50K I felt the aluminum hood, bigger breaks, laguna leather, nicer wheels and nicer riding adjustable suspension were worth the extra 10% to me. It's a personal decision. I didn't have an extra $20K for a Hellcat and didn't feel that the extra 200 horsepower was worth it for 90% of the driving I would do. If you feel the same way about an SRT vs. a SP or a 6.4 vs. a 5.7 or a 5.7 vs. a 3.6 it is your decision!

Personally I only wish I could afford to have a GT for a winter ride with a blower on it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't understand how any SRT(8) owners can feel "robbed" because of the Scatpack options.

SRTs have better brakes, and (iirc) better suspension, as well as the highest horsepower motors.;
They also come with standard uplevel leather interior.

Not everyone can afford, or justify, the cost associated with an SRT - to that point, the only SRT we have, wears a 'Caliber' badge ;)

I personally don't care about big brakes, and prefer cloth over leather;
I loved the 'Core' model briefly offered - but it was never offered in my market (Canada);
I like the Scatpack because it give a lower price point for someone looking at getting a V8 Challenger - and why wouldn't dodge do this - there is a large price difference between the R/T & SRT - and a large HP difference;
By Dodge offering the higher HP drivetrain in the lower level car, that gives it another foothold in the market - which is quite possible what helped Challengers recently outsell both the Camaro, and the Mustang.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
For me it was the second new car I ever bought. First was back in 1989. Since I was going to drop $45K on a loaded SP and the dealers were selling SRT's for $50K I felt the aluminum hood, bigger breaks, laguna leather, nicer wheels and nicer riding adjustable suspension were worth the extra 10% to me. It's a personal decision. I didn't have an extra $20K for a Hellcat and didn't feel that the extra 200 horsepower was worth it for 90% of the driving I would do. If you feel the same way about an SRT vs. a SP or a 6.4 vs. a 5.7 or a 5.7 vs. a 3.6 it is your decision!

Personally I only wish I could afford to have a GT for a winter ride with a blower on it!
You could always buy a GT and tow a snow blower instead? >:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
? Yes SRT guys seems little screwed here. I would be pissed I pay 10 grand more and year later it is not exclusive any more. Here are srt features unlocked with katzkin leather.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Honestly, it came down to a few things for me-

The SRT is an awesome level of trim- absolutely loaded out “hellcat minus boost,” as a general concept.
I don’t think it’s pointless, but it is probably more niche than it was. It’s also a model Dodge has an opportunity to introduce new stuff into in the future, and make the gap between the hellcat and the SP a little more bridged.

I don’t think everyone wants to daily drive a hellcat. I haven’t tracked both, but I imagine that being able to take an SRT out on a long drive or go to an HPDE is probably cheaper, just as comfortable, and more manageable for a certain market segment that wants all the available bells and whistles, but for who, the 392 is more than enough, and just enough more than they need for bragging rights when the situation calls for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 426 came out, and was exclusive to that level of trim for a year or two before it’s offered on the Scat.

On the one hand, the Scat kinda feels like having a mullet whilst wearing a tux. The now three levels of trim owners above it can’t turn up their noses, and say it doesn’t say SRT on anything but the valve covers. On the other hand, I sat in a tent for a few months in the spring a year and a half ago on crappy internet, did some research, and found out Dodge made a car with a big f*($ing engine in it that I could actually afford to think about, found a way to afford to buy (thanks to a very awesome, lovely, intelligent young lady that had all those qualities and a temporary moment of insanity when she said ‘yes’ and married yours truly), and have been enjoying the heck’s out of for the time I’ve been home the last year and a half. Oh yeah, and I’m still under the price of a 392 with a KB and a meth kit going on.

There’s trade offs. Those 392s seem to hold their value better, and there aren’t too many people that would give me anywhere close to blue book for my car now. Not that I’m ever even going to ask. Because it’s mine. So there>:)

I feel like I got a good deal for me. SRT folks have the driving experience, concierge service through Dodge Cares, and a few other perks. I still get treated like I’m flying coach, albeit doing it really, really fast. If you feel like the sense of elite is worth a $12000 difference over what I paid, cool. If not, then ripped off may apply. I expect people’s mileage on the subject may vary.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,366 Posts
Now how would one of our California brothers even know what a snow blower was? :)

Gary, no I have not had any issues with water accumulation, and happily so!

Ray
Not sure if it was on this forum, but I recall somebody posting about water accumulation under their shaker and fabricating a drainage tube for the bottom of the tray where water collects... and fussing over the fact that FCA didn't provide one.

Gary

·
Registered
102 Posts
Brief thread hijack (sorry!)-

Why would anyone use a tow behind snow blower? Just get the plow mounted and be done with it! :bigthumb:
I wanted to do a mock-up and take pictures, just to see the internets explode.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Now how would one of our California brothers even know what a snow blower was? :)

Not sure if it was on this forum, but I recall somebody posting about water accumulation under their shaker and fabricating a drainage tube for the bottom of the tray where water collects... and fussing over the fact that FCA didn't provide one.

Gary
I seen't 'em in the picture books.

Brief thread hijack (sorry!)-

Why would anyone use a tow behind snow blower? Just get the plow mounted and be done with it! :bigthumb:
I wanted to do a mock-up and take pictures, just to see the internets explode.
"Hey guys, rate my blower setup.

"

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
And didn't Chevrolet put 427 and 454 Big Blocks in Caprice station wagons? with woodgrain sides no less !! :shocked:
They weren't the hi-po LS6 version of the 454 or the L36 427.

They made lower performance versions. The wagons got the big ci engines for torque.

Similarly in C-body Mopars, the 440 was the 350hp version, tuned for mid range torque vs. the Magnum / Super Commando versions in the specialty models.

In the B and E body to get the 440 Magnum, 426 Hemi or 6-bbl engines, it required the R/T level in Dodge models

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Gary
I remember that...

41 - 60 of 85 Posts