Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Personally, I feel that the SP is more of a drag car while the SRT is more of a track car.
That makes sense when you consider those big front Brembo brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
SP Shaker

I found a left over 2016 1 year ago today so all my free subscriptions are expired.
I have the leather shaker interior same front spoiler as the SRT also hood is aluminum
4 piston brembos and she is tazed so I have all the SRT pages and drive modes.
getting 17.5 mi per gallon in town, I removed my car from its uconnect account
and the tazer took over and done its job. No subscriptions to pay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I found a left over 2016 1 year ago today so all my free subscriptions are expired.
I have the leather shaker interior same front spoiler as the SRT also hood is aluminum
4 piston brembos and she is tazed so I have all the SRT pages and drive modes.
getting 17.5 mi per gallon in town, I removed my car from its uconnect account
and the tazer took over and done its job. No subscriptions to pay.

I got mine on the 31st of last March. I LOVE that interior SOOOOO much. Tried to get that over my Scat but..... not to be.
I am very happy where I am but am VERY happy for you!!! Just killer!!! Love the interior. Hard to get theses days...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why I bought an SRT 392

First post here. :)

A couple of months ago I finally bought a car that was a car "for me." Every other car I've bought was the most practical and sensible car for that moment in my life, whether it was getting a fuel efficient subaru wagon right when I got married (for commuting and moving furniture into our new apartment) to getting a plug-in hybrid sedan (to use the HOV lanes to commute here in the SF Bay Area.)

When I was picking a car, I told myself: don't go solely with the most practical option. I somewhat failed -- I definitely made some concessions based on what was practical (i.e. didn't buy a Hellcat or a Demon, even though the Hellcat Widebody looks awesome.) But ultimately, I decided on a few things:

(1) I wanted a 392 -- I wanted serious, natural power, and 392 was going to be more than enough
(2) I liked the look of the SRT Hellcat, Hellcat Widebody and Demon, and the SRT 392 was pretty close
(3) I wanted red seat belts (this was surprisingly hard to track down)
(4) I wanted the SRT suspension
(5) I didn't want any stripes or decals on the outside of the car

So for me, the SRT 392 fit the bill perfectly. It's definitely a bit of a niche car -- you have to want a lot of what you'd get in a Hellcat, but not want a Hellcat, and given how cheap used Hellcats are getting I definitely thought about it. But ultimately I don't regret it one bit.

For now...;)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
It does chap me a bit the way that Dodge treats the SRT (NO Respect), but that's business and no amount of complaining is going to change that. They should stop making the SRT 392 anyway because it's not a big seller for them. Besides, the T/A is just an SRT clone once you put the options on it (minus adjustable suspension which is probably going to be an option next year anyway).

I can't complain though because we ordered Ruby in 2015, when the deals weren't out there like they are now, and paid less for our SRT 392 than it cost for a Scat Pack Shaker, so I've got no complaints there.

The other thing is that with the popularity of all of the Scat's and Cat's, I Very Rarely see another SRT 392 on the road and I'm Really good with that because I like something different (Ruby is one of six in the world for whatever that's worth)!

I disagree though that it was only the Hellcat that killed SRT sales, the Scat's helped too as evidenced by the chart below:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
now you know what us 6.1 guys felt!
No kidding huh. Funny how people have forgotten about that. The 6.1 was the top dog, until the 392 came along. I imagine anyone who just bought a 2010 SRT would have felt screwed, and now SRT 392 owners feel screwed today. This is nothing new. Dodge does what they have to do in order to compete with Chevy and Ford. By locking away their best performance machines behind exclusive paywalls and limited production trim levels, they can't really compete all that well. Nor would they have motivation to come out with something new to elevate the SRT name.

The way I see it, Street and Racing Technology (SRT) is accomplishing their purpose. By introducing higher performance engines and versions of existing models to the lineup, they're paving the way for future products. The parts, ideas and technology trickle down the rest of the line, and the whole breed improves.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
No kidding huh. Funny how people have forgotten about that. The 6.1 was the top dog, until the 392 came along. I imagine anyone who just bought a 2010 SRT would have felt screwed, and now SRT 392 owners feel screwed today. This is nothing new. Dodge does what they have to do in order to compete with Chevy and Ford. By locking away their best performance machines behind exclusive paywalls and limited production trim levels, they can't really compete all that well. Nor would they have motivation to come out with something new to elevate the SRT name.

The way I see it, Street and Racing Technology (SRT) is accomplishing their purpose. By introducing higher performance engines and versions of existing models to the lineup, they're paving the way for future products. The parts, ideas and technology trickle down the rest of the line, and the whole breed improves.
My Scat Pack will be as awesome after the 426 comes as out as it is now. I do understanding wanting to keep up though...
Kind of not possible. "Progress, you can't stop progress.... (Seinfeld):smile:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
First post here. :)

A couple of months ago I finally bought a car that was a car "for me." Every other car I've bought was the most practical and sensible car for that moment in my life...
Welcome to the forum. Your post dittos a lot of my story. For 45 years, I bought cars that were practical or affordable, most of the time used. My SRT was indeed a "walk on the wild side" for me. It was quite a shock going from a Camry hybrid to this SRT. Every time I drive it I'm reminded that I'm living in a different world.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your post dittos a lot of my story. For 45 years, I bought cars that were practical or affordable, most of the time used. My SRT was indeed a "walk on the wild side" for me. It was quite a shock going from a Camry hybrid to this SRT. Every time I drive it I'm reminded that I'm living in a different world.
Congratulations on making the jump to "The Wild Side"! I hope that it has been worth it for you.

My question is: Which car do you like better?

Your Camry hybrid could be considered a performance car if the criteria were how efficiently it uses fuel, but with the SRT, that criteria is considerably different because it's a drinker, not a sipper. I think of it as what it lacks in Miles per gallon, it makes up for in Smiles per gallon!

Ruby hasn't disappointed me yet in that criteria!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Congratulations on making the jump to "The Wild Side"! I hope that it has been worth it for you.

My question is: Which car do you like better?

Your Camry hybrid could be considered a performance car if the criteria were how efficiently it uses fuel, but with the SRT, that criteria is considerably different because it's a drinker, not a sipper. I think of it as what it lacks in Miles per gallon, it makes up for in Smiles per gallon!

Ruby hasn't disappointed me yet in that criteria!
Thank you Freddie.
I never spent anywhere NEAR this kind of money on a car, and I bought it used. Which do I like better? The SRT of course. But then it's not a fair comparison. I DROVE the hybrid. The SRT sits in the driveway while I pound my other car, a old 4 cylinder Caravan. I've only put 4k miles on it in 8 months.

the hybrid: reliable, always functioned perfectly, NO issues in 125k miles. However, depreciation wasn't kind to that car. Perfect condition and only worth 7k. How sad. The "market" is still scared of the batteries going out I guess. Averaged 39mpg over the life of the car. Quiet, smooth, seamless, but unfortunately: BORING.

the SRT: sometimes I just stand at the door and look at it out in the driveway. I'm so blessed to own this car. And according to your numbers (thank you), of all the Challengers sold in America, I have what is perhaps 1 in 100. Didn't know that SRT's were so rare.

I'm enjoying owning something that doesn't look like every body else's car. Guess that's one big reason guys wanna do stripes and make changes to their Challengers... to make them individual. But mine is just plain white. It's plenty individual enough for me because I never see another like it when I'm out cruising. Ha... the king's robe doesn't need any extra jewels... (just kidding)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Thank you Freddie.
I never spent anywhere NEAR this kind of money on a car, and I bought it used. Which do I like better? The SRT of course. But then it's not a fair comparison. I DROVE the hybrid. The SRT sits in the driveway while I pound my other car, a old 4 cylinder Caravan. I've only put 4k miles on it in 8 months.

the hybrid: reliable, always functioned perfectly, NO issues in 125k miles. However, depreciation wasn't kind to that car. Perfect condition and only worth 7k. How sad. The "market" is still scared of the batteries going out I guess. Averaged 39mpg over the life of the car. Quiet, smooth, seamless, but unfortunately: BORING.

the SRT: sometimes I just stand at the door and look at it out in the driveway. I'm so blessed to own this car. And according to your numbers (thank you), of all the Challengers sold in American, I have what is perhaps 1 in 100. Didn't know that SRT's were so rare.

I'm enjoying owning something that doesn't look like every body else's car. Guess that's one big reason guys wanna do stripes and make changes to their Challengers... to make them individual. But mine is just plain white. It's plenty individual enough for me because I never see another like it when I'm out cruising. Ha... the king's robe doesn't need any extra jewels... (just kidding)
You're Welcome! :cheers:

It's funny that you stand at the doorway and just look at your SRT because I do the same thing in the garage. I opened the door yesterday and went out there and just sat there smiling. I feel the same way that you did...Blessed!

I also chuckled when you described yours as "Just Plain White". Like there is an SRT that is just or plain! :D

By the way, I like adding jewels to the King's Robe! :)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

It's funny that you stand at the doorway and just look at your SRT because I do the same thing in the garage. I opened the door yesterday and went out there and just sat there smiling. I feel the same way that you did...Blessed!

I also chuckled when you described yours as "Just Plain White". Like there is an SRT that is just or plain! :D

I used to go hug my trunk a couple times a day in the beginning. Still just like to look!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Yeah, last I heard, every queen loves 'em as well !!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Isnt the scat pack lighter too? I specifically wanted the SP because I didnt want to pay the SRTax. Im glad I didnt. Love my suede interior and all the goodies you get with a loaded SP. Plus I got the A8 and 6.4L. Yes I do agree the SRT guys got shafted. There should be no SRT 392. Only SP and HC.
Lol, You said it and they just did it for 2019!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts