Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SRT 392 6.4L vs SP 6.4L?

21K views 84 replies 35 participants last post by  Slidd 
#1 ·
So I didn't look to see if this thread already existed; call me lazy! and sorry ... but does anyone -- and no dissing to the SP owners, but doesn anyone that owns a SRT 392 Challenger or Charger seem, like they got kinda of robbed?
I mean I have a 2016 SRT 392 that I dumped a bunch of cash on and it seems like now a days, dodge screwed the SRT club and kind of just gave everyone a 6.4L w/all the track pack, Pages, and just all the stuff that I had always been saving up for the SRT for.. I had 3 Challengers an SXT! then when I could afford it I got an R/T! 15' and then finally got my SRT and honstley had planned to go to maybe a HC or Demon but I am in love with my SRT so if anyting I'd spend the money to add a Whipple twin screw 2.9L SC, new headers, mid-pipe and complete new catback exhaust and of couse being a 16' a ECU upgrade and tuner .. but back to my point doesn't it seem like if I waited would have had a SP 2/ a 6.4L HEMI and almost everyting the same as my car for way less cash? or am I just crazy?

\Again it's not that I am dissing anyone w/o an SRT i just feel like dodge screwed us, the ones that really wanted an SRT, and then they just dropped the Scat Pack on everyone

BD - Mopar or NO CAR!

#4 ·
A lot of guys don't have pockets deep enough to get the extra goodies such as upgraded Brembos, interior luxuries, track modes and the adjustable suspension. The SP gives you the basic trim with the much desired 6.4 liter power plant. This is nothing new as manufactures would do this back in the 60s allowing buyers to stuff the top HP motors into lower trims.

#5 ·
Here we go......
:argue:
:popblood:

Cars are very similar except for the Hood, brakes, suspension and available interior upgrades (i.e. Laguna Leather)

#8 ·
Wheels, Tires, Driver Convenience Group, Sound System, NAV are some additional standard differences but available upgrades.:grin2:

#6 ·
Isnt the scat pack lighter too? I specifically wanted the SP because I didnt want to pay the SRTax. Im glad I didnt. Love my suede interior and all the goodies you get with a loaded SP. Plus I got the A8 and 6.4L. Yes I do agree the SRT guys got shafted. There should be no SRT 392. Only SP and HC.

#9 ·
I have to agree. If you all remember the SRT was the cats meow until the Hellcat came out. My comment is they should have left out the SRT from both hellcat and demon. I love my SRT and still think they are a rare car because everyone wants to get the other goodies that are just gimmicks to me. Again just my thoughts.

Mopar or No Car

#10 ·
I think I wrote in 2010 or there about that I would buy a new R/T if they offered it with the "bigger" motor. The Core came out, but wasn't quite there for what I was looking for. When the Scat Pack came out it was perfect for me and I bought one. Big motor, nice CLOTH seats, and it didn't have the red brake calipers (don't like the red, sorry). And it was about $7K or more cheaper.

So I figure Dodge was trying to invite buyers like me to buy a Scat Pack. I like the idea of many different models. Something for everyone. And I don't think that it cheapens the SRT any. It is still awesome for the folks that like its features.

Reactions: TheHorse13
#11 · (Edited)
The problem is the SRT comes with a lot of toys standard, so the void between R/T and SRT was artificially large.

SRT as a trim is pointless. It should have been a package for the R/T. Same goes for Scat Pack.

Too many damn trims, Dodge!

#12 ·
I have the SRT. I opted to pony up the extra money for it after thoroughly testing an RT Plus and a Scat Pack. To ME, there is a significant difference in power, braking and comfort to warrant the extra money.

The more choices, the better. Each of us can buy what we want and can afford.

To me, the SRT was worth every penny.

#16 ·
I, personally, like the Scat Pack because of the trim package (Logos, etc). But then again, I notice small details. And, I really loved the Shaker, which is what I have; Scat Pack Shaker. Also, I didn't feel the need to spend the extra money on the SRT for the items it includes. For some, the bigger brakes, adjustable suspension, etc., are huge, that's why the trim model exists. And if I want the remainder of the performance pages I'll buy a Tazer for a lot less money than the cost of the SRT. Just my thoughts.....

#17 ·
FCA does a good job at marketing. A key to successful marketing is to instill your product into peoples hearts and egos. They have done this well.

As far as the OP's comment on "feeling robbed"..............I feel that I robbed FCA when I ordered a basic, no frills Scat Pack, and didn't buy into "all the frills" that I really didn't want to begin with.

They got my heart when the SP was offered, and the ended up with my money..............so marketing did win, just not as much as they would have liked! LOL

#20 · (Edited)
... as far as the OP's comment on "feeling robbed"..............I feel that I robbed FCA when I ordered a basic, no frills Scat Pack, and didn't buy into "all the frills" that I really didn't want to begin with...
johned:
Amazing that even today, you can still go out and buy a great car for a reasonable price if you can just say NO to all the add-ons. Those salesmen can lure ya with a lot of temptation if yer not careful...

I, personally, like the Scat Pack because of the trim package (Logos, etc). But then again, I notice small details. And, I really loved the Shaker, which is what I have; Scat Pack Shaker. Also, I didn't feel the need to spend the extra money on the SRT for the items it includes. For some, the bigger brakes, adjustable suspension, etc., are huge, that's why the trim model exists. And if I want the remainder of the performance pages I'll buy a Tazer for a lot less money than the cost of the SRT. Just my thoughts.....
Professor:
Not sure if I posted this before, in my initial search for a Challenger, I gave a lot of thought to the Scat Pack Shaker. I know the shaker is a pricey option, but it really looks sharp and I prolly woulda bought one had I not come across the SRT for such a good price on that fateful Thursday in late June last year. On another note, did you have any issues with water accumulation at the base of the hood scoop?

Gary

#18 ·
I love my SRT.. Plus the branding is nice. I have always been an SRT and SVT fan since they are in-house, factory warrantied machines..

I love my adjustable suspension, branding, hood, etc.. I bought mine used, and could dump in 30 grand and still be less than the price of a used hellcat.

#22 ·
I agree with the OP... yes, I think the SRT brand (I call it a brand because that is where Chrysler was headed with it there for a while), has been hurt by the 392 being in cars other than an SRT. It has probably hurt the resale value, too.

On the other hand... you could get a 426 Hemi or 440 Magnum in virtually any car back in the day... it was not meant for just the upscale Charger and GTX. Kind of the same thing I suppose.

#24 ·
If anything killed the SRT 392, it was the Hellcat, not the Scat Pack. All those people that wanted the biggest baddest thing went for the Hellcat.

Scat Pack just sells more because people would rather have 485hp with cloth seats than an R/T Plus.

#27 ·
I think you are right... but, probably a combination of the two. I would think that the Demon is hurting the Hellcat in much the same way. If I had a Hellcat I would be pissed, and if my wife would let me spend even more money I would by the Demon. I wonder how many Hellcat owners are dropping it for the Demon? I suppose not too many since the Demon is limited, right?

#38 ·
I got a Scat Pack because I wanted the 392/A8 drivetrain in a package that was more affordable. I did not care about the extra stuff the SRT had, but I can see why a lot of people would want an SRT, just wasn't for me.

There was a comment earlier in the thread regarding Scat Packs being locked out of various SRT drive modes like Track/Eco/Valet, etc. You can buy a $250 Tazer and unlock all that stuff.

#41 ·
There was a comment earlier in the thread regarding Scat Packs being locked out of various SRT drive modes like Track/Eco/Valet, etc. You can buy a $250 Tazer and unlock all that stuff.
I'm aware, I own one.

That's like telling me to buy Katzkin because SRT trims are the only one that get that option, so you've missed the point.

#39 ·
i feel like the SRT, even though it has the same motor as the SP, is still a premium vehicle over the SP. It has creature comforts and amenities you cant get on the SP bringing the higher price tag. I fall in the middle though, I dont think I could justify the SRT and I dont care for the SP so I would likely fall on the TA as my choice. I still have a bit before I can make that plunge though, who knows, if work and life are good I may be able to pick up a hellcat. only time will tell

#48 ·
If money is an object, the SP is a nice deal if it comes with only the most essential of options. I was young-ish and it was for me when I got my 2016 SPS . Would I have loved to have HK audio, adaptive cruise control, 3-way suspensions, bigger brakes/wheels and Laguna leather? - You bet. But for me a 5-6k lower purchase price, 0% financing, lower cost of insurance and cheaper brake maintenance was more important at the time.

If you have the funds and don't need the power of the hellcat but want a nicely optioned muscle car, the SRT392 seems like the way to go... I don't see why not.

Reactions: Klink
#49 ·
For me it was the second new car I ever bought. First was back in 1989. Since I was going to drop $45K on a loaded SP and the dealers were selling SRT's for $50K I felt the aluminum hood, bigger breaks, laguna leather, nicer wheels and nicer riding adjustable suspension were worth the extra 10% to me. It's a personal decision. I didn't have an extra $20K for a Hellcat and didn't feel that the extra 200 horsepower was worth it for 90% of the driving I would do. If you feel the same way about an SRT vs. a SP or a 6.4 vs. a 5.7 or a 5.7 vs. a 3.6 it is your decision!

Personally I only wish I could afford to have a GT for a winter ride with a blower on it!

#50 ·
I don't understand how any SRT(8) owners can feel "robbed" because of the Scatpack options.

SRTs have better brakes, and (iirc) better suspension, as well as the highest horsepower motors.;
They also come with standard uplevel leather interior.

Not everyone can afford, or justify, the cost associated with an SRT - to that point, the only SRT we have, wears a 'Caliber' badge ;)

I personally don't care about big brakes, and prefer cloth over leather;
I loved the 'Core' model briefly offered - but it was never offered in my market (Canada);
I like the Scatpack because it give a lower price point for someone looking at getting a V8 Challenger - and why wouldn't dodge do this - there is a large price difference between the R/T & SRT - and a large HP difference;
By Dodge offering the higher HP drivetrain in the lower level car, that gives it another foothold in the market - which is quite possible what helped Challengers recently outsell both the Camaro, and the Mustang.

#52 ·
? Yes SRT guys seems little screwed here. I would be pissed I pay 10 grand more and year later it is not exclusive any more. Here are srt features unlocked with katzkin leather.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.