Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering buying either the scatpack or srt 392 (if I can get it for a great price). One of the items that is preventing me from fully considering the 392 is the 6 piston brakes and the adjustable suspension. I looked up various threads and it looks like the brakes and rotors are very expensive to replace. The shocks are very expensive as well. Since these are wearable parts, it is a cause of concern. I dont mind spending on the car and maintenance, but I dont want to get into a money pit situation or exhorbirant maintenance costs, especially ones that occur over and over. This is one of the main reasons keeping me away from the luxury german brands. I read that these parts will come down in price in the future, but is that true and by how much? I dont want to buy parts and install them myself. I will,probably have the dealership do all the work. What do you think? This car would be my daily driver. At the point I dont put a ton on miles on my car, maybe 6.5k to 7k a year. Its because of these concerns that I am leaning more toward the scatpack. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
The larger brakes and active suspension will cost more to own, if they need servicing while you own it.

The old saying "You play, you pay" holds true.

A lot depends on how long you plan on owning it

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally I would like to keep it as long as possible, maybe 10 years. Will the dealerships prices on these parts ever come down or do they pretty much stay the same? Also, with normal driving (non track). How long/number of miles would it be before the pads and rotors would have to be replaced on the srt? How about the shocks?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My SRT has 43,000 miles on it, and the rotors are still great. Chrysler owned the car for 40,000 miles, so I'm not 100% sure they are originals, but they documented oil changes and seal replacements, so I'd imagine they would document changing the rotors.

That being said, if you don't feel the need for the active suspension, and won't be spending time at the track, the Scat Pack should be a better fit.

As far as pricing goes, I doubt the dealership pricing will come down. The only real hope of cheaper rotors and struts is an aftermarket that decides to step up. I guess it depends on how many Hellcats are eventually sold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My SRT 392 ran out of front pads at about 30k; and I'm not terribly hard on it. Dealer quote was something like $2750 to replace the front pads & rotors. I do all my work myself, so I saved a few bucks but the rotors alone still ran my about a grand as I recall.

Tires for the car are at least a grand too and run out on a similar schedule. I'm sure the shocks aren't cheap, but I cant imagine those needing to be changed prior to 100k miles, but who knows. Just sold my SRT & at just shy of 40k miles the shocks felt 100% fine.

Anyways, kind of the way it goes really. The more a car cost the more maintenance will cost.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My SRT 392 ran out of front pads at about 30k; and I'm not terribly hard on it. Dealer quote was something like $2750 to replace the front pads & rotors. I do all my work myself, so I saved a few bucks but the rotors alone still ran my about a grand as I recall.

Tires for the car are at least a grand too and run out on a similar schedule. I'm sure the shocks aren't cheap, but I cant imagine those needing to be changed prior to 100k miles, but who knows. Just sold my SRT & at just shy of 40k miles the shocks felt 100% fine.

Anyways, kind of the way it goes really. The more a car cost the more maintenance will cost.
Whoa, what? $2,750 for front pads and rotors???????????????????????

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
If you are really concerned about rising costs of maintaining a 392, buy an SXT with a V6. You'll be pleased with the car and the longterm cost of ownership. I just sold my SRT 392. It takes 7 quarts of synthetic oil and burns premium gas. MPG around town is nominally 15 (no arguments please, that's what I was getting). Tires are huge and expensive.
I can't maintain 15 mpg for the life of me......in the city.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
With the proper care, the rotors will likely never need to be replaced. Rotors don't warp, this is completely a myth under all but the most extreme circumstances.

With that being said, if you can afford a SRT 392, then the maintenance costs shouldn't be a factor in the long run.

However, I would certainly avoid the dealer at all costs for service. I would find a trusted local mechanic or shop to perform any service or maintenance.

For the first 100k, the car should just need oil changes, air filters and maybe a differential fluid change.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I am seriously considering buying either the scatpack or srt 392 (if I can get it for a great price). One of the items that is preventing me from fully considering the 392 is the 6 piston brakes and the adjustable suspension. I looked up various threads and it looks like the brakes and rotors are very expensive to replace. The shocks are very expensive as well. Since these are wearable parts, it is a cause of concern. I dont mind spending on the car and maintenance, but I dont want to get into a money pit situation or exhorbirant maintenance costs, especially ones that occur over and over. This is one of the main reasons keeping me away from the luxury german brands. I read that these parts will come down in price in the future, but is that true and by how much? I dont want to buy parts and install them myself. I will,probably have the dealership do all the work. What do you think? This car would be my daily driver. At the point I dont put a ton on miles on my car, maybe 6.5k to 7k a year. Its because of these concerns that I am leaning more toward the scatpack. Thanks.
Get a Scat Pack - if buying a used one, or a year-old one left around on a lot...avoid any that were optioned with the Dynamics Package [this is the 6-piston brake system]. This feature turned up as an option on '17+ Scat Packs.

The standard 4 piston brakes aren't as expensive as the 6 piston system. Scat Packs use conventional Bilstein shocks.

The prices on the SRT Bilstein ADS shocks are $500 / corner - as time goes by, those shocks will still be that price - that application doesn't fit any other makes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I figure with my scat pack with the 6 piston's I knew that I was getting into the $700 a rotor club. When the brakes need to be changed, I'll buy a new set of rotors and pads, save the old rotors and have them inspected and turned. My car sits in a garage and doesn't often even see wet weather, let alone snow or salt conditions. Will be garaged in the winter on my lift and covered.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Somebody posted that CARID was selling a front 2 rotor pack for $750, he bought it and turns out they were the stock OEM rotors with Mopar tags and part numbers. Might need to check into that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Get a Scat Pack - if buying a used one, or a year-old one left around on a lot...avoid any that were optioned with the Dynamics Package [this is the 6-piston brake system]. This feature turned up as an option on '17+ Scat Packs.

The standard 4 piston brakes aren't as expensive as the 6 piston system. Scat Packs use conventional Bilstein shocks.

The prices on the SRT Bilstein ADS shocks are $500 / corner - as time goes by, those shocks will still be that price - that application doesn't fit any other makes.
Unless you are living life over 140 mph. I can attest the brembro 4 piston is QUITE adequate! Over 140, I dunno or care.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
777 Posts
What's a dealer???..........

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had no idea how expensive the rotors/pads are for the SRT......but I too believe that rotors do NOT have to be replaced with pads, that just reeks of overkill by hungry dealers.

With that said, I love my SRT, and have no regrets. That thing is all business.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
777 Posts
Powerstop Evolution Z23 Front Pads [ for 16" Brembos ] ...$55.95

http://www.autoanything.com/brake-pads/power-stop-z23-evolution-brake-pads?kc=ffsku&k_clickid=8a742b29-e255-4959-8c01-97caddb002b0&adgroupid=5399&k_trackingid=274x265536785465&kpid=10191-10483-5383613&productid=265536785465&gclid=CLrvlbucx9ACFUtufgod_UwLVg

Reactions: SRT Wasp and Klink

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts

Pads at 30K sure, but rotors? Did they really need to be replaced?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pads at 30K sure, but rotors? Did they really need to be replaced?
I could have squeezed a second set of pads on those rotors. I measured the rotor thickness & it was just barely over the minimum. But like I said, I did the work myself so all in pads & rotors ran me just over a grand.

However, I couldn't imagine the shock most people would have when they go to the dealer & they spit out a $2500+ quote for front brakes. I only got the quote because the car was in the shop for warranty work & they noticed my pads were low. I was intending to replace them soon anyways, but of course the dealer wanted to give me their sales pitch. I LOL'd when they quoted me that much. But I honestly did not expect to find out that rotors alone are close to a grand even when shopping around for a good deal.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts